Author Topic: Morphic Familiar plus Companion Familiar=?  (Read 2640 times)

Caelic

• Hong Kong
Morphic Familiar plus Companion Familiar=?
« on: October 10, 2011, 03:43:48 PM »
While considering the whole Improved Familiar plus Morphic Familiar paradigm, a thought popped into my head:

What happens if a Changeling wizard with Morphic Familiar goes into Arcane Hierophant?

Now, this isn't likely to happen often, since he'd have to go to level 5 as a wizard, which is not particularly optimal for AH.  But if he did...what would be the outcome?

It seems like it all hinges on whether your Companion Familiar is or is not a familiar, which is debatable by the wording of the ability.

If it DOES count as a familiar, then by the wording of Morphic Familiar, it could assume the form of any creature the character could have as a familiar--which, in this case, would be any animal companion of appropriate level.  Essentially, Wildshape for a familiar.

If it DOESN'T count as a familiar, but instead as an animal companion with some familiar abilities, then the wizard's just hosed.

Lo77o

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Guns dont kill people, apes with guns kills people
    • Email
Re: Morphic Familiar plus Companion Familiar=?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 03:52:05 PM »
Should work.. A while back someone posted a build where the familiar counted as a cohort, so you could make your familiar into any char 2 levels below your self as often as you wanted.
"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions." - Braids, Cabal Minion

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
How the hell did this happen, Caelic?

I had this exact same idea yesterday. Have you been talking to GavinFoxx? Because he's the only one I told it to.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 04:39:51 PM »
No, I had the idea, too. Ideas pop up like that, when you have the same knowledge, and read the same threads.

I'm quite sure it doesn't work, though - no matter the form of your familiar, it's kinda stuck in the shape of the AC. If it does, though, yes, it's NICE.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

spacemonkey555

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 04:53:53 PM »
I had the idea a few months ago, I didn't see how I could claim the familiar companion was my familiar. You have to dismiss your familiar if you have one, and then your animal companion gets some of the benefits of being a familiar. The author carefully avoided calling it a familiar at any point.

In addition, your animal companion (if any) gains many of the abilities that a familiar would normally possess.

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 05:31:08 PM »
Is there a strong reason to consider it when you have share spells alter self, poly, shapechange, etc. anyways?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 05:35:04 PM »
Is there a strong reason to consider it when you have share spells alter self, poly, shapechange, etc. anyways?
Doesn't use spell slots, so it's much more efficient if, say, you wanted to change your eagle into a horse to move faster overland.  Also is undispellable and has no maximum duration.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 05:57:24 PM »
Like I said, it wouldn't be particularly optimal.  Arcane Hierophant already has the usual dual-progression problem of lagging behind straight casters, and 5 levels in one class exacerbates the problem.  I like to explore oddities like this, though--you never know when they'll pan out.  It's how Supermount came into being in the first place.

Now, Dragon Familiar plus Morphic Familiar could be fun.  If only your dragon familiar didn't run off every 6 years and require you to start over. :P

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 06:44:44 PM »
Let him run off. It's not like you care - you can make a new one just as fast...

Now, Fleshgrafter, Alienist, Fiend-Blooded, and other PrCs that change your Familiar... Those could be useful with this.

Also, Shadowform Familiar looks interesting. How would that work? This + Mindsight = Perfect Mid-Range Scouting?

As a Changeling you can qualify for this, and you'll be able to get rid of the benefit by ditching the Krinth shape.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 06:53:40 PM by CantripN »
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 08:08:23 PM »
Ooh, ooh, and use that spell that raises your familiar; you know, the one that lets you give it a level-draining touch attack if your CL is high enough?

Seriously, chain enough stuff onto this, and you have an EVEN BETTER Big Guy's with Me build...
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 09:32:51 PM »

Yeah familiars have more goodies to mix and match.

Big Guy ain't going away, it's just a little boring (nowadays) in comparison.

I'm having trouble with Caelic saying a Wizard could be a Hoser.
Take off 'eh.
 ;)

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 09:38:31 PM »
Probably for the best that item familiars don't seem to be considered familiars except in feat name...
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."