Author Topic: Chameleon and Ultimate Magus  (Read 3111 times)

OblivionSmurf83

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Chameleon and Ultimate Magus
« on: October 08, 2011, 10:41:22 AM »
What does everyone think? Can Ultimate Magus advance Chameleon spellcasting levels?

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Chameleon and Ultimate Magus
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 11:01:33 AM »
According to the description of the casting options. I don't think so. It specifically says that it won't qualify you for feats or Prc's so I don't think it will advance them either. Only two ways I know of to advance chameleon. The Weapon of Legacy PRC and the Luck based on from Complete Scoundrel. I don't have my books right now to be more specific than that.

jeffrie

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • nondescript young man over there for hire.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 11:44:43 AM »
According to the description of the casting options. I don't think so. It specifically says that it won't qualify you for feats or Prc's so I don't think it will advance them either. Only two ways I know of to advance chameleon. The Weapon of Legacy PRC and the Luck based on from Complete Scoundrel. I don't have my books right now to be more specific than that.

How do either of those advance Chameleon?
"That's one for the good guys.
Current score: Evil 923,472,810, Good 1."

-Kuroimaken

Phoenix00

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 11:51:38 AM »

How do either of those advance Chameleon?
Because they advance all the class features and not just spellcasting.

OblivionSmurf83

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 12:09:28 PM »
Actually, I think you can generally use +1 spellcasting progressions to advance Chameleon casting, as long as you don't use Chameleon to qualify for it. My question was more whether or not Chameleon counted as an Arcane spellcasting class, given that sometimes it's not. Ie assume you've got a build that still meets the Prepared Arcane Spellcasting requirements for UM and has Chameleon in it; can you then shunt the spellcasting progression onto Chameleon?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 04:47:18 PM »
I believe it says somewhere that Chemeleon Spellcasting cannot be advanced by other PrCs, period.

nightshade

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 05:17:47 PM »

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 07:59:42 PM »
That said, you might argue that if you qualify some other way, say by being a Wizard 5 / Chameleon X / Incantatrix, you could advance the Chameleon with Incantatrix.

I don't allow that interpretation in my games, but I've seen it before.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

OblivionSmurf83

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 02:24:01 AM »
That said, you might argue that if you qualify some other way, say by being a Wizard 5 / Chameleon X / Incantatrix, you could advance the Chameleon with Incantatrix.

Yes, that's the same logic used to justify dual 9s for the Chameleon (You get 9th (and 10th) level spells some other way, then add on extra spells to the Chameleon). The real question is, assuming it works, can you use a +1 arcane spellcasting class on the Chameleon, given that it's not always arcane.

To go off onto the tangent that everyone else is using though, you can definitely increase spellcasting using a Chameleon. From RoD, 112:

You gain the ability to prepare and cast arcane spells, which may be chosen from the spell list of any arcane spellcasting class. You prepare and cast these spells just as a wizard does, including the use of a spellbook.

Aptitude Focus's restriction states that:

It's only operation is on qualification for prestige classes. Once you qualify through other means, you can still advance Chameleon spellcasting, since they definitely do get spells. The trick is whether you can advance specific Arcane/Divine spellcasting progressions and, if so, how that works.

Like, let's say you can advance spellcasting, and use a +1 Arcane spellcasting class. Does that class advance the Chameleon's spellcasting generally? Or only the spellcasting for the purpose of the Arcane aptitude focus? I'm looking for rules based arguments, rather than common sense ones (Think of it as a black letter law kind of thing).

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 07:08:07 AM »

Yes, that's the same logic used to justify dual 9s for the Chameleon (You get 9th (and 10th) level spells some other way, then add on extra spells to the Chameleon). The real question is, assuming it works, can you use a +1 arcane spellcasting class on the Chameleon, given that it's not always arcane.

To go off onto the tangent that everyone else is using though, you can definitely increase spellcasting using a Chameleon. From RoD, 112:

You gain the ability to prepare and cast arcane spells, which may be chosen from the spell list of any arcane spellcasting class. You prepare and cast these spells just as a wizard does, including the use of a spellbook.

Aptitude Focus's restriction states that:

It's only operation is on qualification for prestige classes. Once you qualify through other means, you can still advance Chameleon spellcasting, since they definitely do get spells. The trick is whether you can advance specific Arcane/Divine spellcasting progressions and, if so, how that works.

Like, let's say you can advance spellcasting, and use a +1 Arcane spellcasting class. Does that class advance the Chameleon's spellcasting generally? Or only the spellcasting for the purpose of the Arcane aptitude focus? I'm looking for rules based arguments, rather than common sense ones (Think of it as a black letter law kind of thing).

You don't want to be that literal about it, it only hurts the case you're trying to make, pushing you further away from the answer you want and aren't getting.  Literally, Chameleon does not have a spells or spellcasting class feature at all.  It is never an arcane spellcasting class.  It has Aptitude Focus, and can fake being a spellcaster pretty convincingly with it, but good luck finding something that says it advances the Aptitude Focus class feature.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 06:44:49 PM »
if someone wanted to dump casting boosts into chameleon, i'd let them. they do temporarily gain the ability to cast arcane spells. just like when they lose access to anything based off of the chameleon bonus feat when they change the feat, they'd loose the bonuses dumped into chameleon when they didn't have the arcane focus.

but other than what has already been noted, i can't think of any other rules that apply.

however, legacy champion, and that other caster prestige, both advance all class features of another class or prestige, just for the record.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine