Author Topic: Wilder King of Smack?  (Read 1961 times)

Scrollreader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Wilder King of Smack?
« on: October 07, 2011, 11:43:53 PM »
The Egoist King of Smack doesn't get Improved Rapidstrike until level 21.  The Psywar tops off at level 6 powers.  I'm trying to make it work with Wilder, in order to get the best of both worlds.  Atm, I can manage ML 18, BAB +17, and even squeezed in a little boost from meldshaping.

Daelkyr-Blooded Ranger 1/Wilder 9/Slayer 10

1   Improved Natural Attack: Claw, (B) Track
3   Combat Reflexes
6   Weapon Focus: Claw, (B) EK: Claws of the Beast
9   Bind Soulmeld: Totem Avatar
10   (B) EK: Claws of the Vampire
12   Rapidstrike
15   Robillar's Gambit
18   Improved Rapidstrike

Powers Needed:  Claws of the Beast (B), Claws of the Vampire (B), Open Chakra, Psionic (4)

Tricks: Open the Hands totem and bind a lesser metapsionic rod for an additional +1 ML during daily buffing.
  Then unbind, put on gloves, and go kick ass.

The advantage of Daelkyr Blooded is: no cha penalty, which is ideal for the wilder, as well as access to a claw attack /before/ EK: Claws of the beast, which allows for feats to be taken earlier.  Any help or feedback is greatly appreciated, especially regarding powers known.  I'm not sure 10 (+2) powers is enough to melee it up, especially without access to any of the restricted lists.  Honestly, given my limited experience playing wilders (ie, only one, as a low level AC summoner) is this concept even workable?

Kethrian

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Re: Wilder King of Smack?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 12:03:21 AM »
I'm not sure exactly how well it would work, but I do highly recommend the Knowledgable Wilder ACF.  You lose the useless Volatile Mind class feature, and instead get free EK feats at those levels.  Should help give you a bit more wiggle room.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 08:58:49 AM »
I'm not sure exactly how well it would work, but I do highly recommend the Knowledgable Wilder ACF.  You lose the useless Volatile Mind class feature, and instead get free EK feats at those levels.  Should help give you a bit more wiggle room.

This, (here's a link) and then, with one of those EK, grap Metamorphosis for general (ab)use. Maybe Second Chance to get rid of those Nat 1's that are bound to happen? Also, I'd try to fit Linked Power (Complete Psionic p.62) somewhere in there; it makes buffing easier in combat.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Scrollreader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 01:09:32 PM »
I am already using the Educated Wilder ACF to pick up the EKs I have listed in the build above.  The problem is, with only 9 levels of wilder, I can only manage 2 free EKs.  Which are used in taking the two claw powers.  I suppose I could drop levels of slayer, to mash in more wilder, but that only really buys me 1 more EK.  (though it's probably worth it, for Metamorphosis, even at the cost of losing some of the cool stuff from Slayer).  The key is to make sure I still hit the BAB targets for Robillar's and the Rapidstrike chain.  Something like Ranger 1/Wilder 12/Slayer 5 gets me to the BAB stepping stones I need for feat access, and then I can take another level of wilder for EK.  (8th level or lower power, but probably Metamorphosis, unless it's banned).

Final Build ends up looking like this:  Ranger 1/Wilder 9/Slayer 5/Wilder +4/Slayer +1
ML: 18, Surge +4, BAB: +16. 

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 06:14:14 PM »
Mantled Wilder loses the near useless 2nd level Wilder class feature.
Substitute Powers in the Ardent section, works with the mantles, not just the Ardent.

This'll get the two powers earlier, freeing up the Ed Wilder EK at 5.
And don't bother with the 9th level of Wilder, unless you absolutely want it.

Not so sure about this: " ... 9   Bind Soulmeld: Totem Avatar ... "
But I haven't had that book out in a long time.

Usually Ardent is a better choice when the "caster" levels start dropping.
Usually ...

Scrollreader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 12:37:52 AM »
The problem with the Wilder ACF that grants mantles is that, unlike the psywar, the powers are /mandatory/.  I only get 10 powers, in my entire career (plus up to 3 EK powers, if I make it to wilder 13).  Unless I can manage to sneak a 'Mantle of Awesome' by my DM (he'll go for one or two subs, but not the whole list) this forces me to pick shitty powers.  And, unless I'm a Kalashtar, or have access to someone with Psychic Chirgury, I'm not sure of a way to fix these for useful powers.

Dusk Eclipse

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 02:11:02 AM »
Use one of those EK to nab Psychic Reformation? http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psychicReformation.htm

For a minimum amount of XP you can rebuild yourself dialy.. (perhaps getting a Power Stone or a Dorje might be a better idea)