Author Topic: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM  (Read 131887 times)

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM
« Reply #400 on: October 22, 2011, 02:34:02 PM »
bump

Q130  By RAW, what happens if you are a Soulcaster with Arcane Investment 1, have the Midnight Metamagic feat, and have Incarnum Apotheosis cast on you?  For the duration of Incarnum Apotheosis, (a) are all your spells +1 DC because theoretically you could have invested essentia into any of them when you prepared them, so they are essentia receptacles?  (b) Is Midnight Metamagic constantly full of essentia, granting you constant free metamagic on any spell you cast?

Q133  How does a spontaneous divine caster make use of Anyspell (assuming they got access to it)?
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Mooncrow

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #401 on: October 22, 2011, 02:43:44 PM »
bump

Q130  By RAW, what happens if you are a Soulcaster with Arcane Investment 1, have the Midnight Metamagic feat, and have Incarnum Apotheosis cast on you?  For the duration of Incarnum Apotheosis, (a) are all your spells +1 DC because theoretically you could have invested essentia into any of them when you prepared them, so they are essentia receptacles?  (b) Is Midnight Metamagic constantly full of essentia, granting you constant free metamagic on any spell you cast?

Q133  How does a spontaneous divine caster make use of Anyspell (assuming they got access to it)?

A133 They don't, unless they get prepared domain spell slots.  (Through Holt Warden, or a Prestige Domain)

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #402 on: October 22, 2011, 02:45:19 PM »
Q75How does the spell "Steeldance" work with a caster like Spirit Shaman, that has two primary stats?

Bump

I was really hoping someone else would answer this, as I cannot find any RAW clarification. Stats govern spellcasting in three ways: spell DC, bonus spells, and minimum value needed to cast. Steeldance gives you something that looks like BAB + Strength modifier, but uses caster level and "relevant ability modifier" instead. That to my mind looks the most like a save DC—how "strong" your spells are—so I would use Charisma for a Spirit Shaman, Intelligence for an Archivist, &c.

Agreed, but since the Spirit Shaman has "two" primary stats I'm curious if its both or maybe a "choose one"

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #403 on: October 22, 2011, 02:45:39 PM »
bump

Q133  How does a spontaneous divine caster make use of Anyspell (assuming they got access to it)?

A133 They don't, unless they get prepared domain spell slots.  (Through Holt Warden, or a Prestige Domain)

I'm thinking Divine Crusader with the Spell domain... spontaneous access to one domain.  Can they use the spell?

[spoiler]
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Mooncrow

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #404 on: October 22, 2011, 02:59:05 PM »
bump

A133 They don't, unless they get prepared domain spell slots.  (Through Holt Warden, or a Prestige Domain)

I'm thinking Divine Crusader with the Spell domain... spontaneous access to one domain.  Can they use the spell?

I would say as written, no. Their spell slots act just like a cleric's normal spell slots, just with the domain spells as their class list.  "Domain spell slots" are a different thing.

(Although, the Divine Crusader is prepared, not spontaneous; but it would be the same in either case)

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #405 on: October 22, 2011, 04:01:44 PM »
Missed that.  OK, that makes sense.

Q134 I find the epic rules slightly confusing.  If I have 8th-level wizard spells as a 20th-level character, do I never get 9th-level spells?  Or is it that once my "wizard spellcasting levels" reach 20, THEN they never increase because I've maxed out the progression?  The wording of the SRD seems to imply the former, but then that would contradict the "adding a new class" part, because I could add a new spellcasting class and progress it all the way to 9th-level spells while in epic.

Q134a If it's the former, do a warlock's invocations count?  If I don't have dark invocations by the time I reach epic levels, do I ever get them?  Obviously if it's the latter then I can get them.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #406 on: October 22, 2011, 04:03:48 PM »
Missed that.  OK, that makes sense.

Q134 I find the epic rules slightly confusing.  If I have 8th-level wizard spells as a 20th-level character, do I never get 9th-level spells?  Or is it that once my "wizard spellcasting levels" reach 20, THEN they never increase because I've maxed out the progression?  The wording of the SRD seems to imply the former, but then that would contradict the "adding a new class" part, because I could add a new spellcasting class and progress it all the way to 9th-level spells while in epic.

Q134a If it's the former, do a warlock's invocations count?  If I don't have dark invocations by the time I reach epic levels, do I ever get them?  Obviously if it's the latter then I can get them.
It's the latter version. You keep gaining spellcasting until you max at your 9th level. Then you can take feats to allow you 10th, 11th, and 12th level slots that you can use for metamagic feats.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #407 on: October 22, 2011, 05:03:33 PM »
Q 135:
Quote from: SRD
Am I reading that right?  A druid could poison a plate of food, then cast neutralize poison on the food so it gets past the king's food tester (though a detect magic would notice) and then 50 minutes later the poison reactivates in the king's/tester's stomach? (presumably you'd have to put two doses of poison in the food, I guess)
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #408 on: October 22, 2011, 05:06:04 PM »
Q 135:
Quote from: SRD
Am I reading that right?  A druid could poison a plate of food, then cast neutralize poison on the food so it gets past the king's food tester (though a detect magic would notice) and then 50 minutes later the poison reactivates in the king's/tester's stomach? (presumably you'd have to put two doses of poison in the food, I guess)

That would work, if there was a rule that says poison that has no effect isn't used up when it's administered.

What actually seems to happen is you administer the poison, it has no effect, 1 minute later it has a secondary no effect, and eventually the spell wears off, with the poison already having been spent uselessly.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #409 on: October 22, 2011, 06:46:40 PM »
Well darn; too bad Neutralize poison isn't dismissable...
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #410 on: October 22, 2011, 08:44:09 PM »
Q136 When a war weaver stores a touch-range spell in the tapestry to cast later, when does he have to touch all the targets?  When storing, or when activating?

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Vicerious

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #411 on: October 22, 2011, 09:00:40 PM »
Q136 When a war weaver stores a touch-range spell in the tapestry to cast later, when does he have to touch all the targets?  When storing, or when activating?
When activating.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #412 on: October 22, 2011, 09:10:45 PM »
q137 Broad question here, what are the Dragon Magazine with all the psionic stuff in them?

I know tons of them have bits and pieces but I distinctly remember a couple issues being packed.

DOUBLE STUFFED QUESTION: Can I make a Psion Cha based?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 09:44:29 PM by bearsarebrown »

Kethrian

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #413 on: October 22, 2011, 09:59:21 PM »
Q75How does the spell "Steeldance" work with a caster like Spirit Shaman, that has two primary stats?

Bump

I was really hoping someone else would answer this, as I cannot find any RAW clarification. Stats govern spellcasting in three ways: spell DC, bonus spells, and minimum value needed to cast. Steeldance gives you something that looks like BAB + Strength modifier, but uses caster level and "relevant ability modifier" instead. That to my mind looks the most like a save DC—how "strong" your spells are—so I would use Charisma for a Spirit Shaman, Intelligence for an Archivist, &c.

The way I've always read this sort of thing was that the ability which determines the maximum spell level castable is the one that is the default.  Every spell you cast requires a minimum amount in that score, but not every spell has or requires a save.

Libertad

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #414 on: October 22, 2011, 10:00:38 PM »
Q138

Where did the "fighters don't get nice things" phrase originate?

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #415 on: October 22, 2011, 10:29:27 PM »
q137 Broad question here, what are the Dragon Magazine with all the psionic stuff in them?

I know tons of them have bits and pieces but I distinctly remember a couple issues being packed.

Psiotheurgy stuff is in 349, there's a lot of stuff in 287 but it might be 3.0...

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Kethrian

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #416 on: October 22, 2011, 10:34:06 PM »

Psiotheurgy stuff is in 349, there's a lot of stuff in 287 but it might be 3.0...

Yes, pretty much everything before issue 310 is 3.0

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #417 on: October 23, 2011, 01:04:30 AM »
q 139. Whats the toughest NON-Caster-20 build? We all know any 20th level casters pretty much a god. Is there any martial builds that achieve similar status?
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #418 on: October 23, 2011, 01:44:53 AM »
q 139. Whats the toughest NON-Caster-20 build? We all know any 20th level casters pretty much a god. Is there any martial builds that achieve similar status?
Kobold paladin for the pazuzu route to pun-pun?

Or in a more reasonable situation... Nothing without casting can rival smart casters at level 20, because they have divination and other powerful abilities. Unless you know a non-caster way of getting better divination than casters.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #419 on: October 23, 2011, 02:02:36 AM »
Kobold paladin for the pazuzu route to pun-pun?

Or in a more reasonable situation... Nothing without casting can rival smart casters at level 20, because they have divination and other powerful abilities. Unless you know a non-caster way of getting better divination than casters.

of course i know that no martial character could ever stand up to a god wizard, my question is: Whats the toughest martial build. i dont mean strictly by hp or strength score. i dont mean the guy who can get punched in the face the longest. i guess i mean what martial character could actually keep pace in a high level game. i need a good generalized build suggestion, i dont want alot of book keeping so im looking for something thats not a caster
Slappin ho's like E-Honda