Author Topic: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM  (Read 132093 times)

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
Re: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM
« Reply #360 on: October 20, 2011, 02:02:31 PM »
Thanks, snake

Nagukuk

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #361 on: October 20, 2011, 02:07:47 PM »
Q121 How would the Setting Sun Stance - lvl5 Shifting Defense and the feat Evasive Reflexes interact when you add Rolibars ?

The stance allows a 5'step when you are attacked. It uses an available AoO for the round.
Evasive allows you to take a 5' step if you choose not to take an AoO

Now Add Rolibars Gambit - get attacked, get an AoO.

Is that two 5' steps or just one?

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #362 on: October 20, 2011, 05:54:52 PM »
A hippogriff with the Half-Goristro (Fiend) template becomes huge size and is CR 3.
Challenge Rating: +3 (+1 base for template, +1 size increase, +1 harder to defeat)
Where are you getting that?

Heh, odd.  I thought the half-fiend templates had consistent CR increases.  Sorry about that.

You could just go with the standard +1 size category = +1 CR and still use a hippogriff.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

symisin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #363 on: October 21, 2011, 12:30:57 AM »
Q 122 is there a magic item that lets you float just above the ground so that you never actually walk on the ground itself and doesn't confer any penalties like the levitate spell?

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #364 on: October 21, 2011, 12:49:10 AM »
Q123 Is there a LA +0 or +1 race that gives a CL boost to enchantment spells, like the boost to divination from dream dwarf?
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #365 on: October 21, 2011, 12:54:40 AM »
Q 122 is there a magic item that lets you float just above the ground so that you never actually walk on the ground itself and doesn't confer any penalties like the levitate spell?

Horseshoes of a zephyr do that, but take up two body slots and require a DC 25 use magic device check to emulate a horse. 

Sandals of harmonious balance (Complete Adventurer 135) allow you to stand on surfaces that can't support your weight, which covers some of the functionality of floating. 

symisin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #366 on: October 21, 2011, 01:07:23 AM »

Horseshoes of a zephyr do that, but take up two body slots and require a DC 25 use magic device check to emulate a horse. 

Sandals of harmonious balance (Complete Adventurer 135) allow you to stand on surfaces that can't support your weight, which covers some of the functionality of floating. 

i like the horseshoes but UMD check ruins it.  is there anything similar to them for a character or what the price modification would be to make them for a character?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #367 on: October 21, 2011, 06:36:32 AM »
Q 124 Is there a humanoid size snake-like being that you can gain as a cohort when you take Leadership? Got a PC who wants to use a wish to turn his medium-size viper into his NPC cohort instead of his wild cohort animal companion. He doesn't like that next level his animal companion will be large enough to eat him if he pissed it off. I was kind of thinking yuan-ti, but any snake-man creature would do fine.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Kethrian

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #368 on: October 21, 2011, 07:13:21 AM »
Q 98 Can cleave and great cleave work on a mirror image? Why or why not? Had a couple of players try to use their logic on me about how it could. I said no because you can't hit the same person twice.
RAW, no.
A way to make casters slightly closer to being worse at melee than fighters by giving a counter to a powerful spell, Yes.
Honestly, from a balance outlook, rules should always be adjudicated in favor of non-casters

Actually, Sage Advice in Dragon 312 specifically answers the question:

For all intents and purposes, the figments from a foe's mirror image spell are your foes.  You aim your spells and your attacks at the figments just as though they were real creatures.  Any spell you can aim at a creature you can aim at an image.  When you use a spell that allows you to select multiple creatures as targets, such as magic missile, you can choose multiple images as targets.
If you have the Cleave or Great Cleave feat, destroying an image with a melee attack triggers the feat (and your cleaving attack might well strike the spell user instead of another image).  Likewise, you can use Whirlwind Attack to strike at any image you can reach.  A Whirlwind Attack almost certainly will allow you to strike once at the spell user.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 08:06:24 AM by Kethrian »

Kethrian

« Reply #369 on: October 21, 2011, 07:21:46 AM »
Guys, you're confusing me. :(

The part where it's from the "Adding Hit Dice" section, which is then followed by the "Increasing Size" section, might be fairly relevant.  As in, it's pretty clearly talking about HD and not size.
also increase in size. Do not stack this CR increase with any increase from class levels
It is the "Adding HD" section, but adding HD increases the size, that's why they mention it. And the next sentence is talking about the size increase, I think. OTOH when it talks about increasing size it doesn't say that it increases CR, although it could be assumed that they where assuming that you know that. >.> It's confusing and vague as hell. :banghead

It is horribly worded, but I believe the intent of it is that class levels do not cout toward increasing the creature's size.  Which, of course, is not at all RAW.  Reminds me of the 2e Tarrasque...

Kethrian

« Reply #370 on: October 21, 2011, 07:54:03 AM »
Q121 How would the Setting Sun Stance - lvl5 Shifting Defense and the feat Evasive Reflexes interact when you add Rolibars ?

The stance allows a 5'step when you are attacked. It uses an available AoO for the round.
Evasive allows you to take a 5' step if you choose not to take an AoO

Now Add Rolibars Gambit - get attacked, get an AoO.

Is that two 5' steps or just one?

Considering that the stance uses an AoO to activate, whereas Evasive Reflexes lets you 5' step instead of spending an AoO, you can do one or the other.  You can't forgo the AoO and then spend it, too.  This does show, though, that the feat is superior to the stance.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #371 on: October 21, 2011, 08:24:50 AM »

i like the horseshoes but UMD check ruins it.  is there anything similar to them for a character or what the price modification would be to make them for a character?

Well, the Airstep Sandals soulmeld is LIKE an item... acquirable with a feat...

[spoiler]
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #372 on: October 21, 2011, 09:41:56 AM »
Q123 Is there a LA +0 or +1 race that gives a CL boost to enchantment spells, like the boost to divination from dream dwarf?

There's the Jaebrin (Monster Manual 5) that gives +1 DC for Enchantment. That's often better, with that school.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #373 on: October 21, 2011, 09:55:35 AM »

There's the Jaebrin (Monster Manual 5) that gives +1 DC for Enchantment. That's often better, with that school.

True... but not for qualifying early for prestige classes that require a caster level.  ;)

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #374 on: October 21, 2011, 10:01:30 AM »

True... but not for qualifying early for prestige classes that require a caster level.  ;)

Can you use items to qualify? RAW, that works, if all it needs is CL. There's TONS of items that boost CL.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #375 on: October 21, 2011, 12:21:40 PM »
Q115: What happens when a Constitutionless creature (such as undead or construct) gets the effect of the Fiendform spell? The spell changes its type so I wonder if it gets a new Con score and what will that score be if any.

Unless it states specifically I would imagine it doesn't gain a Con score.
So when an undead is no longer undead it keeps its lack of Con AND the immunities it provides or does it revert to a dead member of the the creature type it chose to emmulate?
You keep the lack of con, so you're still nonliving and have those immunities, but you lose undead type immunities.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

TenaciousJ

« Reply #376 on: October 21, 2011, 01:12:13 PM »
Q125 What are some good combat forms for a Cleric 5/Landforged Walker 5 to take with plant wildshape?  What about for maneuverability?  
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 02:33:32 PM by TenaciousJ »

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #377 on: October 21, 2011, 01:32:10 PM »
Primordial Giant(SoX?) grants +1 to Caster level. It's a +0 but can only be applied to Giants. Half Giant, IIRC, is a +1 Giant.

Before you ask, there are no +0 Giants. I've been looking for months.

You might want to consider Half Minotaur for Dragon 313. It doesn't grant Giant type but does give an ability that lets you count as a Giant when it's beneficial. That might work and it's one of the strongest +1 templates.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #378 on: October 21, 2011, 01:33:42 PM »
Q 125: What are some good combat forms for a Cleric 5/Landforged Walker 5 to take with plant wildshape?  What about for maneuverability?  
ftfy.

Q 126: I'm advancing a Rage Drake (MM3) to 16 HD, which increases its CR from 9 to 10, gives it one feat, and gives it a stat boost.  The example Fiendish Rage Drake (21 HD) has increased its Str from 27 to 28, and its Con from 23 to 24.  It picked up the feats Cleave, Improved Toughness, and via the errata (because they missed one...) Great Cleave.

If you were making this, would you rather increase its Strength, or its Con (increasing from 200 to 216 HP's), and is the Leap Attack feat just too dirty?  The Rage Drake has Pounce, Rake, and a +33 Jump modifier...

Q 127: A little confusion on the Rage Drake's Pounce, Rake, and Worry abilities:
Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a rage drake must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking attacks of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can use both its rake and worry attacks against the held foe.

Pounce (Ex): If a rage drake charges, it can make a full attack, including its two rake attacks and one worry attack if it grabs its foe.

Rake (Ex): Attack bonus +16 melee, damage 1d8+13, including adjustment for using Power Attack feat. Usable in the round after it starts a grapple.

Worry (Ex): Whenever a rage drake grabs a foe at least one size category smaller than itself in its mouth, it instinctively shakes the foe, stunning and disorienting its victim. Anyone grabbed by a rage drake must succeed on a DC 25 Fortitude saving throw or be stunned for 1 round. A rage drake can only use this ability in the first round after it grabs a foe. The save DC is Strength-based.
Quote from: SRD
So, if I'm understanding this all correctly, under normal circumstances the Rake Drake cannot use either rake or worry unless it starts its turn already in a grapple.  However, both abilities ignore this restriction when the Rage Drake pounces?

So in one turn he can pounce, get a full attack (including two rakes), start a grapple (if his bite hits) and worry?  All in one turn?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 01:58:06 PM by ksbsnowowl »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #379 on: October 21, 2011, 02:28:20 PM »
Remember specific entries can override the general ability, as long as it says so