Author Topic: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM  (Read 131852 times)

TC X0 Lt 0X

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM
« Reply #200 on: October 14, 2011, 12:00:24 AM »
A73b
So Sand Dragons don't grow as big as Brown Dragons and have a weaker Breath Weapon, but Sand can fly and has a CL, while the Brown does not. Also Sand is Immune to Fire while Brown is Immune to Acid. They also have different, though somewhat similar Spell-Likes.
EDIT:
Another note is Brown has 500ft Tremorsense while Sand only has 60ft. Sand has a slower Burrow Speed (60ft/20ft). Brown is NE and sand is CN. Sand has a overall higher CR.

Q74
Can the Gutworm Fiendish Symbiont (Findish Codex) Incite Rage ability be used on the same creature/host more then once per Encounter, or is it limited to once per encounter like a Barbarians Rage which it simulates?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 12:07:20 AM by TC X0 Lt 0X »
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #201 on: October 14, 2011, 12:17:13 AM »
A73b
So Sand Dragons don't grow as big as Brown Dragons and have a weaker Breath Weapon, but Sand can fly and has a CL, while the Brown does not. Also Sand is Immune to Fire while Brown is Immune to Acid. They also have different, though somewhat similar Spell-Likes.
EDIT:
Another note is Brown has 500ft Tremorsense while Sand only has 60ft. Sand has a slower Burrow Speed (60ft/20ft). Brown is NE and sand is CN. Sand has a overall higher CR.
Dang. And in 2e they had a breath weapon that shot out lava, and neither one has that. Sand dragon has sandy grit, and the brown is acid. Maybe I'll use the sand dragon and have it drink a dragon's drought, but that only works once. Maybe an item that changes the breath weapon to fire. I believe there was a spell in SpC that could do that. Make a custom item. Or I could just change the flavor for this particular story. Hmm. Now I've got some thinking to do.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

TC X0 Lt 0X

« Reply #202 on: October 14, 2011, 12:28:48 AM »
Yeah, Breath Weapon Substitution, Sor/Wiz 4, Draconomicon.
A Very Old or older Sand Dragon can use get it easily.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 12:34:05 AM by TC X0 Lt 0X »

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #203 on: October 14, 2011, 12:30:34 AM »
Q60: can you use multiple pools of turning for the same dmm effect?  ex: i have 2 turn undead uses, and 5 rebuke plant uses.  can i pool them together to make one dmm:persistent effect?

bump, not answered. thanks!

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #204 on: October 14, 2011, 12:30:46 AM »
Yeah, Breath Weapon Substitution, Sor/Wiz 4.
Hmm. It's 5th level in SpC.

TC X0 Lt 0X

« Reply #205 on: October 14, 2011, 12:36:14 AM »

Damn, looks like they raised all the Breath Metaspells from Draco up one level in SpC =/

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #206 on: October 14, 2011, 12:36:16 AM »
Q75How does the spell "Steeldance" work with a caster like Spirit Shaman, that has two primary stats?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 03:23:02 AM by zook1shoe »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #207 on: October 14, 2011, 12:36:51 AM »

Damn, looks like they raised all the Breath Metaspells from Draco up one level in SpC =/
I noticed that as well.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #208 on: October 14, 2011, 01:15:52 AM »
Q60: can you use multiple pools of turning for the same dmm effect?  ex: i have 2 turn undead uses, and 5 rebuke plant uses.  can i pool them together to make one dmm:persistent effect?

bump, not answered. thanks!
You can't use Rebuke Plants to power Divine Metamagic.

A better example would be a character that was a Neutral Cleric who spontaneously casts Cure spells who took a level in Dread Necromancer (which grants Rebuke Undead).  They would indeed have two pools to fuel Divine feats with.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #209 on: October 14, 2011, 03:16:07 AM »
A73b
EDIT:
Dang. And in 2e they had a breath weapon that shot out lava, and neither one has that. Sand dragon has sandy grit, and the brown is acid. Maybe I'll use the sand dragon and have it drink a dragon's drought, but that only works once. Maybe an item that changes the breath weapon to fire. I believe there was a spell in SpC that could do that. Make a custom item. Or I could just change the flavor for this particular story. Hmm. Now I've got some thinking to do.
If you're really going for the lava breath weapon, I think the pyroclastic dragon (Draconomicon) gets that.  But is otherwise not "desert" themed.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

stranglebat

• Email
« Reply #210 on: October 14, 2011, 03:26:34 AM »
Does the Wavekeeper PrC from stormwrack stack with druid for wildshape or does it give you more when you get access to the elemental form or just elemental option to your existing wildshape times a day. How does it work?

Mooncrow

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #211 on: October 14, 2011, 03:35:07 AM »
Does the Wavekeeper PrC from stormwrack stack with druid for wildshape or does it give you more when you get access to the elemental form or just elemental option to your existing wildshape times a day. How does it work?

It's a separate ability; Wavemaster doesn't advance Wild Shape at all.

Jopustopin

« Reply #212 on: October 14, 2011, 03:39:39 AM »
Q76. Can you scribe a scroll if you have been permanently blinded?

Mooncrow

« Reply #213 on: October 14, 2011, 03:47:26 AM »

A76  I'm pretty sure that falls under the blinded rule of "all checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and spot checks) automatically fail."  (PHB 305)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #214 on: October 14, 2011, 05:21:31 AM »
A73b
EDIT:
If you're really going for the lava breath weapon, I think the pyroclastic dragon (Draconomicon) gets that.  But is otherwise not "desert" themed.
I'm not worried about the lava, just don't want to shoot sand. and it's supposed to be immune to fire. However, I think acid might suffice. It's just that lava was what the dragon had in 2e, making the two I'm presented with here not the one that was used before.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #215 on: October 14, 2011, 06:38:01 AM »
Q77: Need 3 feats for a level 2 blaster Ardent fast, suggestions?

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #216 on: October 14, 2011, 08:04:23 AM »
Q77: Need 3 feats for a level 2 blaster Ardent fast, suggestions?

A77: linked power, overchannel & empower power.

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #217 on: October 14, 2011, 01:37:57 PM »

A76  I'm pretty sure that falls under the blinded rule of "all checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and spot checks) automatically fail."  (PHB 305)

A76B But blind people can and do write, it just takes practice. Now reading a scroll is probably not possible
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #218 on: October 14, 2011, 02:38:52 PM »

A76B But blind people can and do write, it just takes practice. Now reading a scroll is probably not possible
Unless you invent braille.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #219 on: October 14, 2011, 03:05:13 PM »
Q78 What happens if you cast Ice Assassin on yourself?  The assassin wants to kill you, but you have absolute control over it... is there some sort of will contest to stop it from killing you?  Or is it just under your command and the whole "wants to kill you" thing is irrelevant?  If the latter, then it's basically a way to get a nice clone of yourself with all your abilities to send out to do your bidding. Or, you know, to clone gods and make them give you proxy status, but whatevs.
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]