Author Topic: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM  (Read 131878 times)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM
« on: October 01, 2011, 08:32:27 PM »
Q 1
Although this did get answered, can we call the next Q&A thread "Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM"?  Or "CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of TPK"?
A 1

Yes.

Previous thread: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12735.0
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 08:34:31 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 08:40:39 PM »
Q2:  Does a warforged who cast fist of stone get a seconded natural slam attack or does the spell upgrade his original slam attack? If he were an artificer and the spell does give him two slam attacks could he bane both of his slam attacks with one infusion?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 08:47:07 PM »
Yes, the dragon is CR 5.  No, it doesn't get a CR update (it does get LA+8, though).  Yes, it's internally consistent, since the same book has a LA+3 template that gives both regeneration and immunity to nonlethal damage.

So yeah.  WotC thinks that a CR 5 creature is worth ECL 18 as a player character.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 08:49:48 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 08:52:30 PM »
Q 3:  Is there an efficient way to get fly onto a bard's spell list without Extra Spell?  I don't mind spending a single feat on it, but I don't want to wait as late as it takes a bard/war weaver to pick up 4th-level spells.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 08:59:49 PM »
Q4: I thought there was some way to be counted as if at more than 2 places at once a la acorn of far travel. What am I thinking of?
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 09:05:01 PM »
Yes, the dragon is CR 5.  No, it doesn't get a CR update (it does get LA+8, though).  Yes, it's internally consistent, since the same book has a LA+3 template that gives both regeneration and immunity to nonlethal damage.

Which template?
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 09:08:01 PM »
Q 3:  Is there an efficient way to get fly onto a bard's spell list without Extra Spell?  I don't mind spending a single feat on it, but I don't want to wait as late as it takes a bard/war weaver to pick up 4th-level spells.

Lyric Thaumaturge 3 -- Spell Secret?
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 09:22:56 PM »

That's 1st and 2nd level spells only.  Is fly a 1st or 2nd level spell on any spell lists?
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 09:33:01 PM »

That's 1st and 2nd level spells only.  Is fly a 1st or 2nd level spell on any spell lists?

Hmm... probably not.  So you'd have to do LT 5, which again puts you at L10.  Alright, then you can get it at 8 if you take Arcane Prep and 2 levels of Wyrm Wizard.
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 10:40:01 PM »

Which template?
curst
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Aliek

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 12:03:28 AM »
Respost from previous thread...

Q4:
Is there any way to cast druid spells as a cleric? Any that works with ur-priest?

jeffrie

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • nondescript young man over there for hire.
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 12:32:09 AM »
Q5Clerics are pretty fair at melee, right? Can an armored cleric charge, and still be a cleric (17+cl)? or does he not have enough feats?

Seems like Divine Favor and Persist could be used with multiple buffs.. . .  is it done?
"That's one for the good guys.
Current score: Evil 923,472,810, Good 1."

-Kuroimaken

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 12:39:36 AM »
Q5Clerics are pretty fair at melee, right? Can an armored cleric charge, and still be a cleric (17+cl)? or does he not have enough feats?

Seems like Divine Favor and Persist could be used with multiple buffs.. . .  is it done?

Yes you can make a charging cleric... rather easily. Clerics don't really need that many feats (Divine Metamagic, Extend Spell, Persistant Spell possibly Extra Turning) which if you are using flaws and are human you can pull off by level 1.

Merkwerdigeliebe

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 03:33:51 AM »
Q6: How do "quasi"-real spell effects (from shadowcraft mage) of over 100% function? It seems basic in the event of a simple summoning effect or blast spell, but how do save or dies work? Lets say your spell was 140% real, they make the save to disbelieve, does that mean they have to make a save-or-die and 40% chance that they have to make a second (assuming they succeed the first?)

I apologize if I wrote this in a confusing way, too many bloody marys.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 04:15:16 AM by Merkwerdigeliebe »

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 04:09:45 AM »
Q6: How do "quasi"-real spell effects (from shadowcraft mage) of over 100% function? It seems basic in the event of a simple summoning effect or blast spell, but how do save or dies work? Lets say your spell was 140% real, they make the save to disbelieve, does that mean they have to make a save-or-die and 40% chance that they have to make a second (assuming they make the first?

I apologize if I wrote this in a confusing way, too many bloody marys.

A 6: What a percentage of "quasi-reality" means is not defined because the spell in question shadow conjuration and shadow evocation and even the infamous SCM itself don't actually use the term. Instead, they just flat-out say what they do (which everybody refers as quasi-reality). The spells have the normal effect of the spell they mimic on a failed disbelief save, and on a successful one, they use their "quasi-reality percentage" to determine damage done and the chance for non-damaging effects to occur. Regardless of success or failure of disbelief, "quasi-reality" also affects the hit points and AC bonuses of conjured creatures.

So, to answer your question, with a 140% real spell, it would have a 140% chance to cause the non-damaging effect. Not a 100% chance and a 40% chance, just a single 140% chance. Which should be functionally identical to a 100% chance, I guess. Anyone care to offer a second opinion? I'm not at my intellectual peak today.

A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Aliek

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 06:37:47 AM »
Q7:What is so great about the fochlucan lyrist? Sure, it is a dual progression class, but by those, I usually find arcane hierophant to be the better choice. So why is it way more commented? Is it really better or just more known?

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 12:11:24 PM »
Q7:What is so great about the fochlucan lyrist? Sure, it is a dual progression class, but by those, I usually find arcane hierophant to be the better choice. So why is it way more commented? Is it really better or just more known?

Full base attack bonus and bardic music progression... its just near impossible to work it into a build competently.

sreservoir

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 02:52:44 PM »
Q 8

If Polymorph Any Object is cast on an object, changing it into a creature susceptible to mind-affecting effects, and a Mind Switch is manifested with said object/creature as the target, does the manifester remain in the object when the duration of Polymorph Any Object ends; and if so, what happens to its physical ability scores?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 07:09:19 PM »
Q 8

If Polymorph Any Object is cast on an object, changing it into a creature susceptible to mind-affecting effects, and a Mind Switch is manifested with said object/creature as the target, does the manifester remain in the object when the duration of Polymorph Any Object ends; and if so, what happens to its physical ability scores?
Yes, and they go away, respectively.  Hence the Psionic Sandwich trick.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

sreservoir

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 07:19:27 PM »
Q 9

In the previous case, what is the type of the object/ex-creature/whatever?

(it has Wis and Cha, so it must be a creature, but)