Author Topic: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM  (Read 131857 times)

StreamOfTheSky

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM
« Reply #560 on: October 27, 2011, 12:34:15 PM »
Q 154 Other than increasing their Dex, and taking Weapon Focus feats, how does one get a warlock's ranged touch attack up? Tonight he cost the party a huge amount of treasure simply because of the fact that he just couldn't roll over a 5 (the enemy teleported with a majority of it). The guy is systematically a phenomenon. Not quite as bad as The Spoony One's Mike who couldn't roll higher than a 10 for two months straight, but he's getting up there.

A 154
Aside from what everyone else said, a wand of Blessed Aim (Spell Compendium) is +2 to hit for a minute at CL 1 and thus better than targeting ray for a wand.  I suggest he get the Walk Unseen invocation ASAP to go invisible.  Flatfooted touch AC is basically 10 + size mod +deflection +insight +luck +sacred +"monk".  For a lot of creatures, that's going to be 10, or less.

StreamOfTheSky

« Reply #561 on: October 27, 2011, 12:37:43 PM »
Q 182
Does any book have an ordinary deck of playing cards listed?  If so, where can I find it, and how much does it cost?

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #562 on: October 27, 2011, 12:45:43 PM »
Q183) Is there a permanent Enlarge Person item published somewhere, or is it created from the generic formulas in the DMG/MIC?
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Bard

« Reply #563 on: October 27, 2011, 01:16:40 PM »
Q183) Is there a permanent Enlarge Person item published somewhere, or is it created from the generic formulas in the DMG/MIC?
A183: The second one, the price assuming a proper slot (like body) is 4000gp, or 8000gp if you're not humanoid (since you need to use the expansion psionic power that has a duration of round/level)

Q184: Can you cast a Cure Wounds/Heal, retain the charge and deliver it on a charge the next round? (And eventually Travel Domain out of the way like there's no tomorrow)
[Spoiler]
His old DM was on crack. He could take levels in freaking Dread Necromancer if he wanted to and no rule in the universe would keep him from doing so.
Rule 0?
Which, I guess, would be 'no rule,' since none = 0.
What's funny is he always brings up Rule 0. I actually had to ask him what that was, and without blinking an eye he gave me the most detailed explanation I'd ever heard for a rule. It was like he was in a trance when he spoke. Looking it up, it just said "The unspoken DM gets final say/veto anything he wants rule."
You're such a kind man, for taking in abused unfortunates and rehabilitating them.
[/spoiler]

StreamOfTheSky

« Reply #564 on: October 27, 2011, 02:10:29 PM »
Quote from: Bard
Q184: Can you cast a Cure Wounds/Heal, retain the charge and deliver it on a charge the next round? (And eventually Travel Domain out of the way like there's no tomorrow)
A 184
Yes.  You can hold the charge on a touch spell, and cure/inflict and Heal/Harm are touch spells.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #565 on: October 27, 2011, 02:39:43 PM »
Q 185:  What penalties are there to Spot checks when in shadowy illumination, or plain ol' darkness (assume outside at night)?

How does a starry night (no or very little moon) vs a cloudy night differ?

I have a party of humans and half-elves.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #566 on: October 27, 2011, 03:48:44 PM »
Q 182
Does any book have an ordinary deck of playing cards listed?  If so, where can I find it, and how much does it cost?
None that I'm aware of. The best I've seen are tarot cards, fortune teller cards, and marked game cards.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #567 on: October 27, 2011, 04:39:25 PM »
marked game cards.
Isn't that what playing cards are?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #568 on: October 27, 2011, 04:40:32 PM »
marked game cards.
Yes, but they're marked. As in, you'll always win because you know which ones are what cards. There's a spot check to notice that though.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #569 on: October 27, 2011, 04:42:34 PM »
marked game cards.
Yes, but they're marked. As in, you'll always win because you know which ones are what cards. There's a spot check to notice that though.
Okay, but how much more is a marked deck going to cost over a non-marked deck?  If all he's wanting is a source and a cost, that deck will do it.  Justification for having a deck of cards in the world, and a rough estimate of their cost.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #570 on: October 27, 2011, 04:44:11 PM »
marked game cards.
Okay, but how much more is a marked deck going to cost over a non-marked deck?  If all he's wanting is a source and a cost, that deck will do it.  Justification for having a deck of cards in the world, and a rough estimate of their cost.
Fair enough. The marked deck costs 1 gold. Source book is http://paizo.com/store/games/roleplayingGames/p/pathfinderRPG/paizo/pathfinderCompanion/v5748btpy8dmf

Hazren

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #571 on: October 27, 2011, 04:46:13 PM »
Q 182
Does any book have an ordinary deck of playing cards listed?  If so, where can I find it, and how much does it cost?

A: 182The only one I'm aware of was a 2E book, Aurora's Whole Realms catalogue. page 20 under games. Prices are fairly consistant with 3.5 and I've not met a DM yet that wouldn't allow any of the common items listed in their games at those prices.
"My solution way too often is to press the red button and see the world burn, which brings us back to the fiery pits of Hell..."
Tshern

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #572 on: October 27, 2011, 05:10:06 PM »
Q186: Is there a compiled recourse of different sources that grant bonuses to attributes?
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #573 on: October 27, 2011, 05:49:28 PM »
Q186: Is there a compiled recourse of different sources that grant bonuses to attributes?
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=13134.0

Q187: Metamagic School Focus + Spirit Shaman = ???

StreamOfTheSky

« Reply #574 on: October 27, 2011, 05:50:53 PM »
Thanks for the help.  I wanted a deck of card because I'm going to be using the Glorious Heat + Spark orison combo in a PF game for untlimited healing and needing things to set on fire (I'm aware of the sort-of eratta nerf, but DM's cool and knows infinite out of combat healing isn't broken).  So whether it's a cheater deck or not doesn't matter, they're getting lit ablaze.  In the meantime though, I saw it pointed out how much more efficient just using a candle and then blowing it out is, so I'll probably use that for most of the healing, but keep a deck or two around for when I want to feel like Gambit. :)

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #575 on: October 27, 2011, 06:01:39 PM »
Q188 Can an Incantatrix apply Cooperative Metamagic to a spell being cast (by someone else) off a spell completion item like a scroll?

Q189 What's a good everyday vestige to pair with Zceryll for a binder/ur-priest/divine anima mage?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 06:32:23 PM by sirpercival »
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Gnomeo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #576 on: October 27, 2011, 08:04:29 PM »
I like the Green Lady vestige for my divine Anima Mage (currently level 8).  Free turn/rebuke attempts every 5 rounds, untyped +2 Cha, use wands & staffs as a Wizard, and a 1st level Sor/Wiz spell as a spell-like every 5 rounds.  I use the free spell for Enlarge Person, which right now allows me to keep our melee characters large 24/7 by recasting it.
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #577 on: October 27, 2011, 09:43:28 PM »
I guess I should add that I'm going to be facing armies.  I think the Green Lady might be a little low-powered... maybe Zagan for Aversion (keep mooks away from me)?  Or Chupoclops?
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Mister Lamp

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu Fhtagn
« Reply #578 on: October 27, 2011, 11:36:29 PM »
Q190:) Can someone link me to Dicefreak's deity rules? I want to see them to decide if I want to go through the pain of attempting an iron siege character... *shudders*
That was somewhat misleading on my part. Think of it as self-confidence, self-image, the ego, and other such things, not people skills. Someone with a low Charisma who goes insane is probably suffering crippling self-doubt or has a skewed perception of him/herself (or, given the power of the entities in the Cthulhu mythos, an accurate perception of his or her place in the universe).

SuperThunderCat

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #579 on: October 28, 2011, 01:00:39 AM »
Q191. What type of elemental damage is resisted the least overall?