Author Topic: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM  (Read 131889 times)

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
Re: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM
« Reply #260 on: October 16, 2011, 03:54:11 AM »
It's right before the spells I believe.

Edit: page 92
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 04:17:22 AM by zook1shoe »

Mooncrow

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #261 on: October 16, 2011, 04:49:24 AM »
Each of the Eberron and FR settings have their own, but other than the ones you listed for Greyhawk, no
But where? There is no 'Planes of Eberron' or whatever book. A quick glance through the campaign setting book's table of contents didn't show much.

For Eberron, it's in the campaign setting book, page 92 - bah, that will teach me to make sure I read the last post :p

For FR, it's also in the campaign setting book, page 256.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 04:52:20 AM by Mooncrow »

AriasDerros

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #262 on: October 16, 2011, 08:57:27 AM »
Q 69: Is there any way to intercept attacks meant for another player (IE, jump in front of the sword)? Shield other doesn't work for my purposes, the person trying to take the hit needs it to hit them.

There is also a Luck feat, Good Karma out of Complete Scoundrel p78. AaEG p128 has rules to make items that grant feats, with a cost based on the feats prerequisites. ~15,000gp.

A73
There are Brown Dragons in Monsters of Faerun. It's 3e, but none of it should be very hard to convert to 3.5.

EDIT:
Damn Ninja'ed.

To update any and all 3.0 FR monsters to 3.5 you can look in the web enhancement for PGtF. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040313a

Q 71 Is there a rule somewhere saying if an NPC with a higher point buy system than a PC should be +1 CR than that of one using the elite system? Just read an adventure and all of the villainous NPCs either have a 36-38 point build, or the person who made it rolled really well with his 3d6.
The closest I can say is the DMG p39 talking about when and how to modify the EL/CR for experience after the fact. Honestly, if you want to be fair to the party CR requires a lot of "eyeballing" as it is, since there are things with a high CR that a party should be able to deal with easily (Assuming Tier 2-3 average), but things that are lower CR that could overwhelm party (unless Tier 1 majority).

CR is a lie, so I would just make the enemy, look at whether I am tailoring it to the party or not. Judge the product of the creation as to if I think the party should be able to take him on or not. I use the "listed" CR for initial planning, then adjust afterwards based on how hard it was.

As a monstrous example, I threw a 15HD Summoning Ooze (MM3, CR 9) at a 5-man, 10th level party. With it's SM6 at-will, I just had it summon large earth elementals, which is by no means the best thing it could have done. One revive, two healed-from dyings later (the party had made some grievous errors), I gave them XP for a CR 13. Two sessions prior, this same party had dealt with a EL 15 encounter with Shadesteel + undead with only limited issue.

Listed CR is a joke, DMG p39 is an absolute necessity to be fair. So don't worry too much about the RAW for adjusting the ENPC stats, so long as you think it is still a fair fight.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #263 on: October 16, 2011, 09:06:42 AM »

A73
There are Brown Dragons in Monsters of Faerun. It's 3e, but none of it should be very hard to convert to 3.5.

EDIT:
Damn Ninja'ed.

There is an update for them just after the mercury dragon in dragons of faerun along with deep dragons and song dragons. 

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #264 on: October 16, 2011, 01:43:43 PM »
Q92 Is the phrase "new class level" defined any where as a "new level in this class we are talking about" or just a new level where you gain HD, BAB, et cetera from any where? Specifically, I am talking about this passage from the Duskblade:

Each time you gain a new class level, you learn one additional spell of any level you can cast, chosen from the duskblade spell list.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #265 on: October 16, 2011, 01:56:31 PM »
Just like all monster entries refer to their own RHD when it only says HD, "class levels" defaults to "levels in this class." I don't have a rules quote though, like a lot of basic stuff that should be in the PHB.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #266 on: October 16, 2011, 02:10:54 PM »
Q92 Is the phrase "new class level" defined any where as a "new level in this class we are talking about" or just a new level where you gain HD, BAB, et cetera from any where? Specifically, I am talking about this passage from the Duskblade:

Each time you gain a new class level, you learn one additional spell of any level you can cast, chosen from the duskblade spell list.

I don't know about "new class level", but "class level" is defined as "A character's level in a single class.  Class features generally depend on class level rather than character level." in the PHB.  You could probably still ignore RAI and say it doesn't specify it needs to be in your current class, but ignoring RAI that hard also creates the problem that if you're multiclassed, you don't have a single class, and the term class level no longer applies to you at all.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
« Reply #267 on: October 16, 2011, 06:27:45 PM »
Q93: Is there a third 'ban an extra school' PrC besides Red Wizard and Incantrix?
[Spoiler]
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.

Mooncrow

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #268 on: October 16, 2011, 06:45:32 PM »
Q93: Is there a third 'ban an extra school' PrC besides Red Wizard and Incantrix?

A93  Unless there's one in an obscure Dragon Magazine article, no.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #269 on: October 16, 2011, 09:02:38 PM »
Q94 What early-entry 2nd-level spell shenanigans are available to divine casters, clerics specifically?  I know you can use the Improved Krau method, but Precocious Apprentice only works for wizards.  DMM:Heighten?
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
« Reply #270 on: October 16, 2011, 10:06:24 PM »
Q94 What early-entry 2nd-level spell shenanigans are available to divine casters, clerics specifically?  I know you can use the Improved Krau method, but Precocious Apprentice only works for wizards.  DMM:Heighten?
see my early entry & prereq handbook
[Spoiler]
[/Spoiler]

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #271 on: October 16, 2011, 11:02:45 PM »
I can't find it, do you have a link?
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Archao

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #272 on: October 17, 2011, 01:38:00 AM »
Q 95: Are there any races or templates that give racial Hit Dice that grant Wizard casting. (I know a few grant Sorcerer, but I specifically need Wizard.)

For context, I'm playing a game where the DM is giving us four free LA, and has included HD in those free levels.

Q 95a: Alternatively, what is that race of monsters that are pseudo-scientists, that have a weapon that shoots energy with 50 charges? I believe they come in red white and black versions.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 01:42:19 AM by Archao »

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #273 on: October 17, 2011, 01:41:53 AM »
Q 95a: Alternatively, what is that race of monsters that are pseudo-scientists, that have a weapon that shoots energy with 50 charges?
Ethergaunts IIRC.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

Archao

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #274 on: October 17, 2011, 01:44:28 AM »
Q 95a: Alternatively, what is that race of monsters that are pseudo-scientists, that have a weapon that shoots energy with 50 charges?
Ethergaunts IIRC.
Aha, yeah, those guys! Thanks.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #275 on: October 17, 2011, 03:04:15 AM »
Q 95: Are there any races or templates that give racial Hit Dice that grant Wizard casting. (I know a few grant Sorcerer, but I specifically need Wizard.) For context, I'm playing a game where the DM is giving us four free LA, and has included HD in those free levels.

Drider gives you wizard casting as one of your choices.  It also conveniently has +4 LA. 

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #276 on: October 17, 2011, 03:23:23 AM »
Class level is in that specific class, character elve is overal

Q> wher is TML?
A> on  barely functional intrenet
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #277 on: October 17, 2011, 03:43:08 AM »
Q 97: Does mind blank prevent spells active on you from being detected by detect magic? 

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #278 on: October 17, 2011, 03:44:19 AM »
Q 98 Can cleave and great cleave work on a mirror image? Why or why not? Had a couple of players try to use their logic on me about how it could. I said no because you can't hit the same person twice.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #279 on: October 17, 2011, 03:46:16 AM »
Q 97: Does mind blank prevent spells active on you from being detected by detect magic? 
Yes.

Q 98 Can cleave and great cleave work on a mirror image? Why or why not? Had a couple of players try to use their logic on me about how it could. I said no because you can't hit the same person twice.
RAW, no.
A way to make casters slightly closer to being worse at melee than fighters by giving a counter to a powerful spell, Yes.
Honestly, from a balance outlook, rules should always be adjudicated in favor of non-casters
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 03:48:43 AM by jojolagger »
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]