Author Topic: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM  (Read 131846 times)

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
Re: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM
« Reply #240 on: October 15, 2011, 04:56:50 AM »
Is there any way to cast personal spells at a range? (I'm an artificer, and want to have the parties tank be colossal via giant growth. It would bump his strength from 68 to 100  :D)
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

SolEiji

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Summon the Meteor Pony!
    • D&D Wiki.Org
    • Email
« Reply #241 on: October 15, 2011, 06:17:49 AM »
Q86
Can a Strongheart Vest prevent or reduce Ability Burn (which is described in the SRD as "a special form of ability damage that cannot be magically or psionically healed")?

By RAW I'm not sure, and probably not, but I think I'd allow it.  The reasoning is that its "a special form of ability damage" which to me says "this is ability damage, except...", so I'd treat it as such except where it's called out (it's healing method).
Got homebrew?  I keep all my 3.5 homebrew on the D&D Wiki.org!
Current Count: 1333 pages by me and climbing!

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #242 on: October 15, 2011, 08:10:18 AM »
Q76. Can you scribe a scroll if you have been permanently blinded?

A76  I'm pretty sure that falls under the blinded rule of "all checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and spot checks) automatically fail."  (PHB 305)

A76B But blind people can and do write, it just takes practice. Now reading a scroll is probably not possible
Unless you invent braille.

You don't need to, Illithids already have.  It's called Qualith, and it's a written record of pure telepathic communication, represented by series of raised dashes and spaces, intended to be read by touch.  Trouble is you have to work out how to follow four simultaneous trains of thought to read it.  DC 35 Decipher Script check for nonillithids to understand or translate without years of study.

Course you could probably just put 2 skill points into picking up Qualith as a language, put the years of study in your background story, and feel slightly ripped off that you paid full price to know a language with written but no spoken form.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #243 on: October 15, 2011, 08:17:18 AM »
Q 52 Is there an item that'll give you ranks in skills as if you were trained in it? Third party is fine. Looking for an item to give a PC Profession (sailor) to get off of a now deserted island. He'll find the item in a set of ruins long since forgotten.

The Codex Anathema (Lords of Madness page 214) gives an inherent ability score bonus, permanently reduces an ability score, and gives the reader actual skill ranks in multiple skills.  So there is precedent for such an item, but I wouldn't like to try to reverse engineer the price and figure out what gaining actual skill ranks is worth.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #244 on: October 15, 2011, 09:44:18 AM »
Q 52 Is there an item that'll give you ranks in skills as if you were trained in it? Third party is fine. Looking for an item to give a PC Profession (sailor) to get off of a now deserted island. He'll find the item in a set of ruins long since forgotten.

The Codex Anathema (Lords of Madness page 214) gives an inherent ability score bonus, permanently reduces an ability score, and gives the reader actual skill ranks in multiple skills.  So there is precedent for such an item, but I wouldn't like to try to reverse engineer the price and figure out what gaining actual skill ranks is worth.
why not somethig that grants a bonus to the skill, not like profession is trained only. admirals bicorne, stormwrack.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #245 on: October 15, 2011, 10:01:03 AM »
why not somethig that grants a bonus to the skill, not like profession is trained only. admirals bicorne, stormwrack.
It is, actually.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

stranglebat

• Email
« Reply #246 on: October 15, 2011, 01:51:01 PM »
Q87
From the web enhancement, would this work with claws of the beast?
Psychic Focus
Descriptors: None
Classes: Incarnate, soulborn
Chakra: Throat
Saving Throw: See text
A necklace of turquoise crystals fits around your neck. The crystals shed a faint glow that increases in brightness when you manifest a damaging power.
Drawing upon soul energy of those using psionics, meldshapers who manifest psionic powers can use the incarnum energy to intensify powers that cause harm to others.
You shape incarnum into a periapt or other trinket, known as a psychic focus, which you then wear about your neck. When you manifest a psionic powers that deal damage, your power's damage is increased by 1 point. Powers that divide their damage among multiple targets, such as energy burst, deal the extra damage to each affected target.
This soulmeld does not affect powers that do not deal damage.
Essentia: Every point of essentia you invest in your psychic focus increases the damage by 1 point.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #247 on: October 15, 2011, 03:13:14 PM »
Q88: Is there a list of planes besides those present in the SRD, MoP, FCI&II? I'm looking specifically for harsh to survive planar effects.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 03:33:39 PM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #248 on: October 15, 2011, 04:35:43 PM »
Each of the Eberron and FR settings have their own, but other than the ones you listed for Greyhawk, no

rot42

« Reply #249 on: October 15, 2011, 06:03:44 PM »
Q87
From the web enhancement, would this work with claws of the beast?
Psychic Focus
Descriptors: None
Classes: Incarnate, soulborn
Chakra: Throat
Saving Throw: See text
A necklace of turquoise crystals fits around your neck. The crystals shed a faint glow that increases in brightness when you manifest a damaging power.
Drawing upon soul energy of those using psionics, meldshapers who manifest psionic powers can use the incarnum energy to intensify powers that cause harm to others.
You shape incarnum into a periapt or other trinket, known as a psychic focus, which you then wear about your neck. When you manifest a psionic powers that deal damage, your power's damage is increased by 1 point. Powers that divide their damage among multiple targets, such as energy burst, deal the extra damage to each affected target.
This soulmeld does not affect powers that do not deal damage.
Essentia: Every point of essentia you invest in your psychic focus increases the damage by 1 point.

A87: No. The claws attack as claws, not as a power.

Kigvan

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #250 on: October 15, 2011, 07:35:30 PM »
Q89

Is there a guide to using alchemical items, such as boosting DC's ect.?  I was unable to find one.  Thanks

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #251 on: October 15, 2011, 07:43:59 PM »
It is, actually.
and yet, there's an untrained section there that shows that's irrelevant
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #252 on: October 15, 2011, 07:45:07 PM »
Q89

Is there a guide to using alchemical items, such as boosting DC's ect.?  I was unable to find one.  Thanks

Alchemical items aren't hugely viable until you get augmented alchemy, which is epic.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #253 on: October 15, 2011, 08:52:28 PM »
It is, actually.
and yet, there's an untrained section there that shows that's irrelevant
No. It only tells you how much you automatically earn if you don't have any Profession ranks (incidentally, always less than if you have even a +0 trained mod in the skill), not that you can make skill checks without ranks.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 08:57:28 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #254 on: October 16, 2011, 12:31:03 AM »
Q90 Can an StP Erudite/Wizard/Cerebremancer learn spells from himself?

Q91 Can an StP Erudite use Psychic Chirurgery to teach spell-powers to other manifesters?
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #255 on: October 16, 2011, 12:38:31 AM »
Q90 Can an StP Erudite/Wizard/Cerebremancer learn spells from himself?

Q91 Can an StP Erudite use Psychic Chirurgery to teach spell-powers to other manifesters?

A90: No, since they learn these as Discipline Powers, which can only be learned by other means. Relevant text:

Learning Discipline Powers: An erudite can learn discipline powers only by directly learning a power from another's repertoire, learning it from a power stone, or taking the Expanded Knowledge feat (EPH 46). In any case, an erudite can learn a discipline-only power only if it is up to 1 level lower than the highest level power he can manifest.

A91: Yes, since those spells are now powers.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #256 on: October 16, 2011, 01:03:54 AM »
A90: No, since they learn these as Discipline Powers, which can only be learned by other means. Relevant text:

Learning Discipline Powers: An erudite can learn discipline powers only by directly learning a power from another's repertoire, learning it from a power stone, or taking the Expanded Knowledge feat (EPH 46). In any case, an erudite can learn a discipline-only power only if it is up to 1 level lower than the highest level power he can manifest.

Unless he cast Ice Assassin on himself and learned the spells from his clone... :D
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #257 on: October 16, 2011, 01:12:25 AM »
^That would be awesome, except you can't learn 9th level spells before Epic as an Erudite IIRC.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #258 on: October 16, 2011, 02:48:45 AM »

Unless he cast Ice Assassin on himself and learned the spells from his clone... :D
^That would be awesome, except you can't learn 9th level spells before Epic as an Erudite IIRC.

How about manifesting Fission?
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #259 on: October 16, 2011, 03:36:09 AM »
Each of the Eberron and FR settings have their own, but other than the ones you listed for Greyhawk, no
But where? There is no 'Planes of Eberron' or whatever book. A quick glance through the campaign setting book's table of contents didn't show much.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r