Author Topic: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM  (Read 131862 times)

Tr011

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • preparing arcane spellcaster
    • Email
Re: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM
« Reply #220 on: October 14, 2011, 03:22:21 PM »
Q78 What happens if you cast Ice Assassin on yourself?  The assassin wants to kill you, but you have absolute control over it... is there some sort of will contest to stop it from killing you?  Or is it just under your command and the whole "wants to kill you" thing is irrelevant?  If the latter, then it's basically a way to get a nice clone of yourself with all your abilities to send out to do your bidding. Or, you know, to clone gods and make them give you proxy status, but whatevs.
A78: It has the "all-consuming need" to kill you, but "The ice assassin is under your absolute command.", and this overrides the need of the ice assassin. But you loose the control as long as it is 1 mile or farther away from you, so be careful.

Q79: Is there a list how to improve the caster-level cap of a spell? I know only two ways, but I'm sure there's more.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #221 on: October 14, 2011, 03:57:54 PM »
A79

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #222 on: October 14, 2011, 04:09:02 PM »
Q80 Is there a way for a factotum to get Body Outside Body added to his arcane dilettante spell list?  Normally a factotum can only use Sorc/Wiz spells for arcane dilettante.
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

linklord231

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #223 on: October 14, 2011, 06:25:19 PM »
Q81  Can you PsyRef/DCFS away feats granted via items, such as the Extra Turning from a Nightstick or the TWF from those gloves?

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #224 on: October 14, 2011, 06:31:27 PM »
Q81  Can you PsyRef/DCFS away feats granted via items, such as the Extra Turning from a Nightstick or the TWF from those gloves?

I doubt it, but either way nightsticks doesn't give you the feat, it just gives you more attempts.

[spoiler]
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #225 on: October 14, 2011, 06:37:38 PM »
There's a soft difference between items that actually grant feats and those that effectively grant feats. You most likely can DCFS feats which fits in the former category. Here's a list I found somewhere on 339:

[spoiler]Format: Feat (Item, Cost, Book) Restrictions

1. Items that actually grant Feats

Alertness (Ioun Stone (Dark Blue Rhomboid), 10k, DMG)
Blind-Fight (Corsair's Eyepatch, 3k, MIC) "grants you the benefit of the Blind-Fight feat for 1 min." Usable 3/day, Swift (also grants See Invisibility).
Combat Reflexes (Serpent Armour, 12k, MIC)
Far Shot (Helm of the Hunter (Array of the Manticore), 9k, MIC) "grants you... the benefits of the Far Shot feat"
Far Shot (Horizon Goggles, 8k, CM)
Great Fortitude (Belt of Endurance, 10k, A&E)
?Improved Initiative (Bracers of the Blinding Strike, 102k, MoF) "give the wearer the benefits of the improved init feat"
Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Natural Attack (Unarmed Strike) (Fanged Ring, 10k, Dragon Magic 101) The INA only works if you're a monk or already have a natural attack (see post 26)
Mobility (Mobility armour enhancement, +1, MIC)
Mounted Combat/Ride by Attack (Battle Bridal, 9k, MIC) Only when mounted
Ride by Attack (Riding Boots, 12k, MIC) Only when mounted
?Run (Panther Mask (Gharyn's Monastic Array), 2,700, MIC) "provides you the benefits of the Track feat"
?Track (Mask of the Tiger (Garb of the Hunting Cat), 4k, MIC) "grants you the benefits of the Run feat"

2. Items that effectively grant Feats

Empowered Turning (Greater Holy Symbol, )
Evasion (Ring of Evasion, 25k, DMG)
Extra Music (Songblade, 6,400gp, CV) Only when wielded and only 1 extra bardic music/day
Extra Slot (Pearl of Power, Lvl*Lvl*1,000, DMG)
Extra Slot (Momento Magicka, Lvl*Lvl*1,500, MIC)
Extra Spell (Runestaffs (various), Varies, MIC) Generally only x/day
Extra Slot/Spell (Wands and Staffs, Varies, Everywhere) Normally 50 charges, not permanent
Extra Stunning (Monk's Belt, 13k, DMG) Only 1 extra stunning attack/day
Extra Turning (Nightstick, 7,500, LM)
Extra Turning (Reliquary Holy Symbol, 1000, MIC) Number of extra turn attempts given varies
Improved Unarmed Strike (Bracers of Striking, 1,310gp, MoF) Upgradable as a double weapon
Improved Sunder (Sundering weapon enhancement, +1, MIC)
Improved Sunder (Dragonfang Gauntlets, 8,610gp, MIC) 3 attacks/day
(Sudden) Metamagic feats (Metamagic rods, varies, DMG and MIC) 3/day, doesn't change spell level
Metamagic Spell Trigger (Metamagic Wandgrip, 6k, CM)
Precise Shot (Precise ranged weapon property, +1, MIC)
Quickdraw (Eager weapon enhancement, +1, MIC)
Spell Penetration (Third Eye Penetrate, 8k, MIC)
Sudden Extend (Aquamarine of Spell Extending, 3,700gp, PGtF)
Track and Scent (Headband of Pursuit, 15k, Secrets of Sarlona)
2WF/Improved 2WF (Gloves of the Balanced Hand, 8k, MIC)
Uncanny Dodge (Warning Weapon, +1, MoF)
Weapon Prof: Bows (Bracers of Archery Lesser or Greater, 5/ or 25k, DMG) Not crossbows
Whirlwind Attack (Whirling weapon enhancement, +1, MIC)

Any Fighter Feat (Eternal/Wand of Heroics, 4420gp/4500gp, MIC) Either 2/day (so 60mins) or 50 charges[/spoiler]

Either way, it doesn't work with PsyRef because of how the power is worded.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #226 on: October 14, 2011, 06:45:30 PM »
bumped and edited.

Q80 Is there a way for a factotum to add spells to his arcane dilettante spell list?  Normally a factotum can only use Sorc/Wiz spells for arcane dilettante.

Q82 Is there a list somewhere of separate-casting PrCs whose CLs are based on other casting classes you have?  So far I have Ur-Priest, Sublime Chord, Nar Demonbinder, and Knight of the Weave.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

TC X0 Lt 0X

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #227 on: October 14, 2011, 07:12:50 PM »
Q74
Can the Gutworm Fiendish Symbiont (Findish Codex) Incite Rage ability be used on the same creature/host more then once per Encounter, or is it limited to once per encounter like a Barbarians Rage which it simulates?

Bumpity bump bump.
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

Mooncrow

« Reply #228 on: October 14, 2011, 07:31:57 PM »
Q74
Can the Gutworm Fiendish Symbiont (Findish Codex) Incite Rage ability be used on the same creature/host more then once per Encounter, or is it limited to once per encounter like a Barbarians Rage which it simulates?

Bumpity bump bump.

A74  It's an at will ability and it says that the state is identical to a barbarian's rage, not the power itself, so no, it would not be limited to once an encounter.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #229 on: October 14, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
Q82 Is there a list somewhere of separate-casting PrCs whose CLs are based on other casting classes you have?  So far I have Ur-Priest, Sublime Chord, Nar Demonbinder, and Knight of the Weave.
This should help finding 'em, in the least.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #230 on: October 14, 2011, 08:32:17 PM »
bump

Q 23 I'm reading through Heroes of Horror, and checking out Cas the demi-god, but I don't understand how they get his touch AC of 21. You've got the flat 10, then -1 size, +7 Dex, and that's it. Where's the other +5 from something like deflection? He doesn't have a +5 ring, and his artifact weapon doesn't say that it gives it to him. Does he have his own +5 from something? Or should it be assumed that it automatically from his Combat Expertise even though it doesn't mention that? Is the "avatar subtype" doing it for him?

I know there's no RAW answer, but a guess or how you treat it in your games would suffice.
Q 35 When you make nonhumanoid armor with special materials, what part of the price is doubled? All of it, or just the base cost of the armor? Say for example, nonhumanoid mithral breastplate. 8400 gold, or 4400 gold?

Q 52 Is there an item that'll give you ranks in skills as if you were trained in it? Third party is fine. Looking for an item to give a PC Profession (sailor) to get off of a now deserted island. He'll find the item in a set of ruins long since forgotten.

Q 57 How do mobs (DMGII) work if the creature naturally has the Diehard feat as a supernatural ability?

Q 71 Is there a rule somewhere saying if an NPC with a higher point buy system than a PC should be +1 CR than that of one using the elite system? Just read an adventure and all of the villainous NPCs either have a 36-38 point build, or the person who made it rolled really well with his 3d6.

Q 72 Is there an old 72-78 point stat system listed somewhere? I think it was 72 for NPCs and 78 for PCs.[/quote]
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #231 on: October 14, 2011, 08:40:50 PM »
Bump

Q75How does the spell "Steeldance" work with a caster like Spirit Shaman, that has two primary stats?

those are the ONLY ones i have seen... a must is the Master Spellthief with those arcane ones  :devil

Mooncrow

« Reply #232 on: October 14, 2011, 10:23:22 PM »
Q 83  For non-clerics, what are all the ways to expand your class skill list?

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #233 on: October 14, 2011, 11:05:50 PM »
Q 83  For non-clerics, what are all the ways to expand your class skill list?

A83 http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6832.0

Q84 Are a loredrake kobold's "sorcerer levels" advance-able by an arcane casting prestige class even if the kobold takes no actual sorc levels?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:25:13 PM by sirpercival »

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Mooncrow

« Reply #234 on: October 14, 2011, 11:43:05 PM »
Q 83  For non-clerics, what are all the ways to expand your class skill list?

A83 http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6832.0

Q84 Are a loredrake kobold's "sorcerer levels" advance-able by an arcane casting prestige class even if the kobold takes no actual sorc levels?

/facepalm - how did I miss that in my search?

A84 The Loredrake reads: "Once the dragon has the ability to cast spells, his effective sorcerer level is increased by two."  So, it really doesn't add "real" sorcerer levels without having at least one level of spellcasting.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #235 on: October 14, 2011, 11:55:59 PM »
A84 The Loredrake reads: "Once the dragon has the ability to cast spells, his effective sorcerer level is increased by two."  So, it really doesn't add "real" sorcerer levels without having at least one level of spellcasting.

Hmm... still ambigiuous.  What if he has the ability to cast spells from another source?  Ex: Loredrake Kobold Wiz 5/Ultimate Magus 3.  Does sorc advance?

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Mooncrow

« Reply #236 on: October 15, 2011, 12:04:13 AM »

Hmm... still ambigiuous.  What if he has the ability to cast spells from another source?  Ex: Loredrake Kobold Wiz 5/Ultimate Magus 3.  Does sorc advance?

As written, I suppose it would have to. 

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #237 on: October 15, 2011, 12:26:57 AM »
Q85 Do levels of warlock count for increasing Ur-Priest CL?

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

TC X0 Lt 0X

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #238 on: October 15, 2011, 02:09:02 AM »
Q86
Can a Strongheart Vest prevent or reduce Ability Burn (which is described in the SRD as "a special form of ability damage that cannot be magically or psionically healed")?
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #239 on: October 15, 2011, 02:38:38 AM »
Q85 Do levels of warlock count for increasing Ur-Priest CL?

Not from what I see... Ur-Priest says "spellcasting classes" whereas the Warlock and Prestige Classes section (Complete Arcane page 18) talks about the Warlock having a "caster level" but not having a "spellcasting level"