Author Topic: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM  (Read 131867 times)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Re: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM
« Reply #180 on: October 13, 2011, 03:02:06 AM »
Q 68: Where is the Fierce weapon enhancement located?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #181 on: October 13, 2011, 04:08:41 AM »
Q 69: Is there any way to intercept attacks meant for another player (IE, jump in front of the sword)? Shield other doesn't work for my purposes, the person trying to take the hit needs it to hit them.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #182 on: October 13, 2011, 04:14:52 AM »
Q 69: Is there any way to intercept attacks meant for another player (IE, jump in front of the sword)? Shield other doesn't work for my purposes, the person trying to take the hit needs it to hit them.
There was a PrC in 3.0's Sword and Fist, the Devoted Defender, that could do just that.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #183 on: October 13, 2011, 04:18:20 AM »

Devoted Spirit: Shield Counter does this but completely stops the attack....

Mooncrow

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #184 on: October 13, 2011, 04:21:16 AM »
Q 68: Where is the Fierce weapon enhancement located?

A68 Arms and Equipment Guide, page 96

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #185 on: October 13, 2011, 05:03:49 AM »
There was a PrC in 3.0's Sword and Fist, the Devoted Defender, that could do just that.
Sadly, Getting class abilities for this will be near impossible.

That kinda works, but I doubt I'll be able to hit reliably.

This is for a homunculus with lots of magic gear (I'll have crafted about 3 million gp of gear, so they're damn good). The problem is, while they are hard to kill, they can't do much to defend the other party members with using their magic gear (which is very effective).
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #186 on: October 13, 2011, 09:10:57 AM »
Q 70:  Non-druid wild shaped into something with no eyes.  Got a budget of 13,000 gp to work with, and no open feats.  Is there a way I can negate the concealment-based miss chance on natural attacks?

EDIT: Magic available is that available to a Bard 4, wild shape form is adult kython (divine minion template, Mourning Mutate + Aberration Wild Shape feats).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 09:38:24 AM by weenog »
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #187 on: October 13, 2011, 10:26:49 AM »
Sadly, Getting class abilities for this will be near impossible.

That kinda works, but I doubt I'll be able to hit reliably.

This is for a homunculus with lots of magic gear (I'll have crafted about 3 million gp of gear, so they're damn good). The problem is, while they are hard to kill, they can't do much to defend the other party members with using their magic gear (which is very effective).
Constant Guardian and Dutiful Guardian feats, Drow of the Underdark.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Mooncrow

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #188 on: October 13, 2011, 11:22:20 AM »
Q 70:  Non-druid wild shaped into something with no eyes.  Got a budget of 13,000 gp to work with, and no open feats.  Is there a way I can negate the concealment-based miss chance on natural attacks?

EDIT: Magic available is that available to a Bard 4, wild shape form is adult kython (divine minion template, Mourning Mutate + Aberration Wild Shape feats).

A70  Blindfold of true darkness?  MIC pg 75.  9,000g - gain blindsight of 30 ft

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #189 on: October 13, 2011, 12:10:09 PM »

Huh, that's cheaper than I thought it would be.  Might be able to cut the price further if I can hire on some help making one of my own, and then retrain out the feat... need to review the rules on collaborative crafting.  Thanks.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #190 on: October 13, 2011, 01:59:45 PM »
Blindsight feat perhaps?
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #191 on: October 13, 2011, 02:15:52 PM »

Huh, that's cheaper than I thought it would be.  Might be able to cut the price further if I can hire on some help making one of my own, and then retrain out the feat... need to review the rules on collaborative crafting.  Thanks.
See if you're not allowed to take the blindfold from Arms and Equipment. Same blindfold for the same price, but it's 60 ft of blindsight instead.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #192 on: October 13, 2011, 11:07:57 PM »
bump

Q 23 I'm reading through Heroes of Horror, and checking out Cas the demi-god, but I don't understand how they get his touch AC of 21. You've got the flat 10, then -1 size, +7 Dex, and that's it. Where's the other +5 from something like deflection? He doesn't have a +5 ring, and his artifact weapon doesn't say that it gives it to him. Does he have his own +5 from something? Or should it be assumed that it automatically from his Combat Expertise even though it doesn't mention that? Is the "avatar subtype" doing it for him?

I know there's no RAW answer, but a guess or how you treat it in your games would suffice.
Q 35 When you make nonhumanoid armor with special materials, what part of the price is doubled? All of it, or just the base cost of the armor? Say for example, nonhumanoid mithral breastplate. 8400 gold, or 4400 gold?

Q 52 Is there an item that'll give you ranks in skills as if you were trained in it? Third party is fine. Looking for an item to give a PC Profession (sailor) to get off of a now deserted island. He'll find the item in a set of ruins long since forgotten.

Q 57 How do mobs (DMGII) work if the creature naturally has the Diehard feat as a supernatural ability?

And from the other thread, and renumbered:
Q 71 Is there a rule somewhere saying if an NPC with a higher point buy system than a PC should be +1 CR than that of one using the elite system? Just read an adventure and all of the villainous NPCs either have a 36-38 point build, or the person who made it rolled really well with his 3d6.

Q 72 Is there an old 72-78 point stat system listed somewhere? I think it was 72 for NPCs and 78 for PCs.

Q 73 Is there a 3.5 version of the old 2e sand/brown dragons anywhere?

heroicraptor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #193 on: October 13, 2011, 11:14:11 PM »
A73 there's a Sand Dragon in Sandstorm.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #194 on: October 13, 2011, 11:14:48 PM »
That's excellent news. Hopefully it's the same deal.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #195 on: October 13, 2011, 11:47:46 PM »
That's excellent news. Hopefully it's the same deal.
Brown Dragons in one of the Forgotten Realms books too (likely Monsters of Faerun).
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

TC X0 Lt 0X

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #196 on: October 13, 2011, 11:48:13 PM »
A73
There are Brown Dragons in Monsters of Faerun. It's 3e, but none of it should be very hard to convert to 3.5.

EDIT:
Damn Ninja'ed.
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #197 on: October 13, 2011, 11:50:11 PM »
A73
There are Brown Dragons in Monsters of Faerun. It's 3e, but none of it should be very hard to convert to 3.5.
Well now I'm confused. Brown dragons are in MoF, and sand dragons are in Sandstorm. The reason I ask is because I'm updating a 2e adventure that I want to do, and they're described as one and the same. So I guess Q 73b which one should I be going for?

TC X0 Lt 0X

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #198 on: October 13, 2011, 11:53:25 PM »
A73b
Probably the Sand Dragon because it is more up to date, but I think there are some differences between the two now. I'll go check =P
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 12:00:02 AM by TC X0 Lt 0X »
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #199 on: October 13, 2011, 11:54:25 PM »
A73b
Probably the Sand Dragon because it is more up to date, but I think there are some differences between the two now. I'll go check =P
Appreciated.