Author Topic: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM  (Read 131869 times)

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
Re: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM
« Reply #160 on: October 12, 2011, 01:13:41 AM »
Q51 - What was the trick to LoP's Attack of the Clones. Can't find any of the pages.
The dirty handbook fixes gives you the jist, but most of those got eaten by 339. If you find stable caches of them PM them to me please.

Q56: Is there a list of spells that grant templates somewhere?
Not that I know of. Most of them are boarder-line fluff ("rituals") anyways. I hear incarnate construct has one.

Since there is apparently absolutely no way in all of 3.5's glory to count as in 3 places at once, I'll try for another question:

Q58: Does someone have a nice list of the various ways the twice betrayer of shar can be beaten? I never saw anything that made the build immune to other casters' AMFs which means it relied on the usual motile defenses.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Mister Lamp

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu Fhtagn
« Reply #161 on: October 12, 2011, 01:16:49 AM »
Q59:) Does anyone have/know how to make an effective warlock hideous blow focused net-wielding build? For some random reason this seems fun.
That was somewhat misleading on my part. Think of it as self-confidence, self-image, the ego, and other such things, not people skills. Someone with a low Charisma who goes insane is probably suffering crippling self-doubt or has a skewed perception of him/herself (or, given the power of the entities in the Cthulhu mythos, an accurate perception of his or her place in the universe).

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #162 on: October 12, 2011, 01:28:02 AM »
So far as I know, you've got the Visage of the Diety line((half) Celestial/Fiend), Vile Death (Fiendish template to an undead), and Incarnate Construct (providing the template of the same name).  Others may provide template-like benefits, but only Wish and Miracle can actually grant them beyond those I already listed, IIRC.

EDIT: Unless you count spells like Animate/Create (greater) Undead.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #163 on: October 12, 2011, 01:34:05 AM »
Q60: can you use multiple pools of turning for the same dmm effect?  ex: i have 2 turn undead uses, and 5 rebuke plant uses.  can i pool them together to make one dmm:persistent effect?

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #164 on: October 12, 2011, 01:57:00 AM »
Q51 - What was the trick to LoP's Attack of the Clones. Can't find any of the pages.
The dirty handbook fixes gives you the jist, but most of those got eaten by 339. If you find stable caches of them PM them to me please.

Here's an archive of Dirty Trick #3: Attack of the Clones.  I got that through this archive of Some handy links for CO work.  I got that link from some thread on these boards.  I can't remember which one, but fortunately I bookmarked the archive. 

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: October 12, 2011, 02:21:06 AM »
Q61: Quick balance question for my Armor Fix:

Grade 4: Three times per day, as part of using the Grade 2 ability, you may also duplicate the effects of the Gaseous Form spell, except that it's duration is 5 rounds, your armor continues to function normally (including improving your armor class), and you cannot leave the area of the Obscuring Mist effect while in this state. The damage reduction provided by this effect does not stack with the damage reduction provided by this suit of armor. You can only travel in areas where the Obscuring Mist has line of effect to.

The Grade 2 ability is Obscuring Mist at will as a Move action.

Does this seem a tad overpowered for an augmentation that costs 22,000gp?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #166 on: October 12, 2011, 02:34:39 AM »
So far as I know, you've got the Visage of the Diety line((half) Celestial/Fiend), Vile Death (Fiendish template to an undead), and Incarnate Construct (providing the template of the same name).  Others may provide template-like benefits, but only Wish and Miracle can actually grant them beyond those I already listed, IIRC.

EDIT: Unless you count spells like Animate/Create (greater) Undead.
Mineralize Warrior, Underdark
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2011, 02:59:23 AM »
Q58: Does someone have a nice list of the various ways the twice betrayer of shar can be beaten? I never saw anything that made the build immune to other casters' AMFs which means it relied on the usual motile defenses.

Getting a CL of 100 or higher (usually via Master Spellthief) and then casting a single Disjunction should do the trick. Note that Disjunction destroys AMFs, rather than dispelling them, so even with Dweomerkeeper's SU spell on an AMF, you can probably still get rid of them.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2011, 03:41:12 AM »
Q 62: A cleric of Hextor makes a potion of faith healing.  The hextorite is killed by a servant of Pelor, who loots the body and gets the potion.  He drinks it.  Is the follower of Pelor healed, or not?

Edit: the relevant text on potions:
Since the imbiber is "the caster of the effect"... I guess the potion of faith healing always works on the imbiber?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 04:28:38 AM by ksbsnowowl »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2011, 06:19:26 AM »
Q 62: A cleric of Hextor makes a potion of faith healing.  The hextorite is killed by a servant of Pelor, who loots the body and gets the potion.  He drinks it.  Is the follower of Pelor healed, or not?

Edit: the relevant text on potions:
Since the imbiber is "the caster of the effect"... I guess the potion of faith healing always works on the imbiber?
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #170 on: October 12, 2011, 10:49:32 AM »
Q63 - Is there a list somewhere of every prestige class that gives an accelerated alternate spellcasting progression?  By "accelerated" I mean that over 10 levels or less it gives access to 5th-level or higher spells (there are a lot that give alternate progressions up to 4th).  So far I have: Apostle of Peace, Sublime Chord, Suel Archanamach, Nar Demonbinder, Ur-Priest, Divine Crusader, Blighter, and Knight of the Weave.

EDIT: And Beholder Mage, of course.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 10:59:05 AM by sirpercival »
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #172 on: October 12, 2011, 05:49:19 PM »
Q64-If a confused creature is forced to attack the nearest creature, what exactly counts as an attack? In particular, a confused spellcaster loaded with diferent spells, including area options and with multiple creatures adjacent to him?

A64  No RAW answer available (RAW would just be that he'd have to use either a normal attack or a Special Attack, that's all an attack is), but I'd imagine he'd attack with the same sort of attack strategies he generally uses.  If he generally would AoE groups, that's probably what he'd do.

JaronK
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 05:56:24 PM by JaronK »

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2011, 06:28:49 PM »
Q64-If a confused creature is forced to attack the nearest creature, what exactly counts as an attack? In particular, a confused spellcaster loaded with diferent spells, including area options and with multiple creatures adjacent to him?

A64  No RAW answer available (RAW would just be that he'd have to use either a normal attack or a Special Attack, that's all an attack is), but I'd imagine he'd attack with the same sort of attack strategies he generally uses.  If he generally would AoE groups, that's probably what he'd do.

JaronK
Agreed.  He should use the best tactics available to him.

Q 65: I've got a Druid//Sorcerer PC in my campaign that was wildshaped into an eagle, and flying above two trolls that hadn't noticed him yet.  He attacked one with a Melf's Acid Arrow, but missed.  He then wanted to know if the trolls would still be denied dex next round, as when they look up they're only going to see an eagle sitting in a tree.  I said something to the effect of "they may not recognize you as a threat right away, especially given the readily apparent party members approaching."  I also mentioned something about the sniping rules (part of the Hide skill).

Now he has emailed me with the thought of taking a rogue level, "because I'll always catch them off-guard."

What rules are there concerning this?  Would it basically be a bluff or disguise check to "pull off" being an unassuming eagle (assuming the targets didn't actually see a spell cast)?  Or should I just say "no, if you attack, even if you miss, they treat you as a threat, even if you just look like an innocent animal?"
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 06:47:22 PM by ksbsnowowl »

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: October 12, 2011, 08:15:47 PM »
Q66: I haven't been around in a while. What's new? How's the state of charop?
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Vicerious

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: October 12, 2011, 09:54:28 PM »

JaronK

Q 65: I've got a Druid//Sorcerer PC in my campaign that was wildshaped into an eagle, and flying above two trolls that hadn't noticed him yet.  He attacked one with a Melf's Acid Arrow, but missed.  He then wanted to know if the trolls would still be denied dex next round, as when they look up they're only going to see an eagle sitting in a tree.  I said something to the effect of "they may not recognize you as a threat right away, especially given the readily apparent party members approaching."  I also mentioned something about the sniping rules (part of the Hide skill).

Now he has emailed me with the thought of taking a rogue level, "because I'll always catch them off-guard."

What rules are there concerning this?  Would it basically be a bluff or disguise check to "pull off" being an unassuming eagle (assuming the targets didn't actually see a spell cast)?  Or should I just say "no, if you attack, even if you miss, they treat you as a threat, even if you just look like an innocent animal?"

I'd rule that the trolls would be aware they're under attack after a missed attack, and would therefore be on their guard after that.  In the example you gave, the acid arrow was the surprise round.  After that you'd enter normal initiative and the trolls would recover from being flat-footed when their turns come up, even if they're not doing anything (though full defense might be appropriate against undetected assailants).

Additionally, the trolls should have gotten Spot and Listen checks to detect the druid-bird.  Natural Spell substitutes animal noises and limbs for verbal and somatic components, but those components are still required.  A spell-casting bird is still going to stand out a little.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #176 on: October 12, 2011, 10:58:56 PM »

JaronK

I'd rule that the trolls would be aware they're under attack after a missed attack, and would therefore be on their guard after that.  In the example you gave, the acid arrow was the surprise round.  After that you'd enter normal initiative and the trolls would recover from being flat-footed when their turns come up, even if they're not doing anything (though full defense might be appropriate against undetected assailants).

Additionally, the trolls should have gotten Spot and Listen checks to detect the druid-bird.  Natural Spell substitutes animal noises and limbs for verbal and somatic components, but those components are still required.  A spell-casting bird is still going to stand out a little.

However, without Spellcraft, they have no means of telling that the bird was casting a spell AFTER the fact, regardless of their spot and listen checks. Remember, Spellcraft can't be used untrained.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #177 on: October 13, 2011, 12:20:25 AM »
Q67: I have a Talisman of the Sphere.  Can I make touch attacks to hit non-casters with it so they get zapped?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #178 on: October 13, 2011, 01:29:18 AM »
Additionally, the trolls should have gotten Spot and Listen checks to detect the druid-bird.  Natural Spell substitutes animal noises and limbs for verbal and somatic components, but those components are still required.  A spell-casting wildly squawking bird is still going to stand out a little.
However, without Spellcraft, they have no means of telling that the bird was casting a spell AFTER the fact, regardless of their spot and listen checks. Remember, Spellcraft can't be used untrained.
Right, but he's still going to be making a lot of noise while casting (assuming it has a verbal component)
To provide a verbal component, you must be able to speak in a strong voice.
A strong voice is going to be pretty easy to hear.  The DC to hear people talking from 50 ft away is a DC 5.

If you just heard a chicken squeal like it passed a cantaloup, and then you get hit by a spell from that direction, even someone of less-than-stellar intelligence is going to keep an eye out that direction, and likely duck if the chicken starts squawking again.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: October 13, 2011, 01:31:06 AM »
If you just heard a chicken squeal like it passed a cantaloup, and then you get hit by a spell from that direction, even someone of less-than-stellar intelligence is going to keep an eye out that direction, and likely duck if the chicken starts squawking again.
True, but you still won't think that the chicken did it. You might think it whizzed passed them, or their animal instincts kicked in. Would still need an intelligence check if you didn't personally see the chicken flinging spells.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.