Author Topic: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM  (Read 131848 times)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Re: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM
« Reply #120 on: October 08, 2011, 02:45:13 AM »
The wildshape amulet was also included in the Magic Item Compendium.

Hmm, I looked through that before I posted, and didn't find it; and now I'm looking through it again and I still don't see it.  Can I get a page number?
Sorry, it must have been the wilding clasp that I was misremembering as the wildshape amulet.  The former is in the MIC.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: October 08, 2011, 03:13:16 AM »
Q 40 This is a question for DMs. If you're running a game, and the PCs aren't taking the proper amount of money as per the WBL that they should be because they're "heroes", do you increase the CR of a creature by 1 to compensate for their lack of gear? Because that's what my players are doing, even if they're not entirely conscious of it, and the stuff they're starting to come across is getting to be a bit much for them, even with my already lowering the CR.

I think the better solution is going to be to get creative about giving them stuff^^  Why and how are they refusing to take stuff?  Are they looting and then giving it to the poor?  Or is it a "looting dead bodies is evil" type of thing?
It's kind of like the latter. The last one was a farm had been ruined, and no one could figure out how or why. The PCs were paid a penance sum (plus food and shelter) because that's all the farmer could afford with his land ruined, and PCs accepted it, knowing that they'd get more of a reward elsewhere. However, after finding out about what caused the ruination, they decided to take the 50 gold from the farmer, and in exchange gave him the magic items and gold they found in the ruins underneath his farm, to sell and save his farm, even though it wasn't so ruined that the farmer and his family couldn't still at least feed themselves. The NPCs weren't going to be bankrupt in any way, but the PCs felt it would do better for them to give the farmer a better chance at surviving the winter.

Q 43 If a half-fiend/half-red dragon genie wants to grant you an item of any value less than 100k, but the stipulation is it has to be something devilish, or dragon oriented, what would you take? Note the character is not evil, but is lawful, and this is a legit question. I'm supposed to choose by next session.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #122 on: October 08, 2011, 03:38:37 AM »
Q 43 If a half-fiend/half-red dragon genie wants to grant you an item of any value less than 100k, but the stipulation is it has to be something devilish, or dragon oriented, what would you take? Note the character is not evil, but is lawful, and this is a legit question. I'm supposed to choose by next session.

Some options from Draconomicon are:
  • A dragoncraft breastplate with whatever enhancements you like.  
  • A dragonfang greatsword with whatever enhancements you like.  
  • A dragonbone longbow with whatever enhancements you like.  

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: October 08, 2011, 03:40:54 AM »

Some options from Draconomicon are:
  • A dragoncraft breastplate with whatever enhancements you like.  
  • A dragonfang greatsword with whatever enhancements you like.  
  • A dragonbone longbow with whatever enhancements you like.  
Dang. Was hoping for some non weapons and armor. I'll have to edit it. Got mithral breastplate +2, the Shaky flaw, and a starmetal executioner's mace +1.

rot42

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #124 on: October 08, 2011, 04:21:28 AM »
Q 40 This is a question for DMs. If you're running a game, and the PCs aren't taking the proper amount of money as per the WBL that they should be because they're "heroes", do you increase the CR of a creature by 1 to compensate for their lack of gear? Because that's what my players are doing, even if they're not entirely conscious of it, and the stuff they're starting to come across is getting to be a bit much for them, even with my already lowering the CR.

I think the better solution is going to be to get creative about giving them stuff^^  Why and how are they refusing to take stuff?  Are they looting and then giving it to the poor?  Or is it a "looting dead bodies is evil" type of thing?
It's kind of like the latter. The last one was a farm had been ruined, and no one could figure out how or why. The PCs were paid a penance sum (plus food and shelter) because that's all the farmer could afford with his land ruined, and PCs accepted it, knowing that they'd get more of a reward elsewhere. However, after finding out about what caused the ruination, they decided to take the 50 gold from the farmer, and in exchange gave him the magic items and gold they found in the ruins underneath his farm, to sell and save his farm, even though it wasn't so ruined that the farmer and his family couldn't still at least feed themselves. The NPCs weren't going to be bankrupt in any way, but the PCs felt it would do better for them to give the farmer a better chance at surviving the winter.

Their beneficence has attracted the notice of powerful celestials. The next time the party is in a serious bind, a force for good pauses the game while they rest and recover and upgrades their equipment with holy power (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2004/11/27/8-bit-chronicles-3-of-3/). A wee bit deus ex, but it will get the job done. Any sort of quest reward could work - it would be downright rude to turn down one of those.

It sounds like the party's reasoning was respect for property rights. If your setting is heavy on adventurers, there could be a "standard salvage fee" for recovering an evil dragon's hoard / rooting out an undead menace / whatever so that the people being rescued get most of their stuff back while the party keeps 25%.

Depends on the character. If grafts are in, Buffeting Wings from Races of the Dragon are right at your limit. They provide all day fly or one of the very few ways of getting a wing buffet natural attack. On a multiattack flying leaping pounce build, that could be great. The Gemstone of Fortification from Draconomicon weighs in pretty cheap as long as you can convince the genie to embed it in your flesh, or the Dragon's Eye Amulet gives 30' blindsense.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: October 08, 2011, 04:29:48 AM »
Their beneficence has attracted the notice of powerful celestials. The next time the party is in a serious bind, a force for good pauses the game while they rest and recover and upgrades their equipment with holy power (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2004/11/27/8-bit-chronicles-3-of-3/). A wee bit deus ex, but it will get the job done. Any sort of quest reward could work - it would be downright rude to turn down one of those.
That's technically already happened. Their deities have come to visit them in person (even though they didn't know this at first), and given them legendary weapons (read: legacy weapons but without the need for feats and no penalties) that level up with them.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #126 on: October 08, 2011, 04:53:18 AM »
Dang. Was hoping for some non weapons and armor. I'll have to edit it. Got mithral breastplate +2, the Shaky flaw, and a starmetal executioner's mace +1.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2011, 04:55:04 AM »
I'll have to take a look at that ring. Not familiar with it.

Not allowed to use the MIC rules. If you want items to take the same slot, it's x1.5 the amount.

That's a very good question. I'll have to ask about that. I do have an empty ring slot, and we've been facing off against a lot of energy attacks as of late.

Sent the DM a list that I've narrowed it down to. See what he's willing to give out.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 12:00:30 PM by kevin_video »

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2011, 12:42:42 PM »
A note:
Quote from: A&EG
Although you keep it in hand, the whip-dagger is treated as a ranged weapon with a maximum range of 15 feet and no range penalties.

all whips were ranged weapons in 3.0, invalid concern.

If you are going to use Unupdated 3.0 stuff then RAW your stuck with the worlds crappiest ranged weapon unfortunately.
So do you contend that if your DM allows you to use Deepwood Sniper, that your Survival skill is screwed because, well, you have to use it unaltered, and they only get Wilderness Lore...  :rollseyes

If your DM is going to allow 3.0 material, he's going to make the common sense accommodations related to using 3.0 stuff in 3.5

A whip dagger is a whip with a blade on the end that deals lethal damage.  It uses the same attack rules as a whip.
No no, this is better. You can use rapid shot and the like while dual-wielding them this way for more attacks :P
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2011, 03:20:56 PM »
Q44: Is there any better form for PAO INT than the brokenzor sarrukh at 30?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 03:40:05 PM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2011, 08:16:49 PM »

AFB, but is the Ethergaunt any better? They have huge INT. (Fiend Folio)
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Mooncrow

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #131 on: October 08, 2011, 08:59:55 PM »

Black Ethergaunts have 31 Int

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: October 08, 2011, 10:57:31 PM »

And immunity to arcane spells of 6th and lower, and natural spellcasting as a 17th level wizard.

Q 45: What is the CL mechanic of the Beholder Mage?  Same as any other PrC or akin to the Chameleon (2 CL/level of advancement)?
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Mooncrow

« Reply #133 on: October 08, 2011, 11:31:00 PM »

And immunity to arcane spells of 6th and lower, and natural spellcasting as a 17th level wizard.

Q 45: What is the CL mechanic of the Beholder Mage?  Same as any other PrC or akin to the Chameleon (2 CL/level of advancement)?

A 45 As Beholder Mage level x2 (same as Chameleon)

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: October 09, 2011, 12:23:31 AM »

Would advancing BM casting still function this way, as it is part of its casting mechanic?
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Xzar

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #135 on: October 09, 2011, 12:53:55 AM »
Q6 Consider a Bard 16/Eldritch Master 9.

at Eldritch Master level 4: he chooses the Cleric's spell list for his Spell Dilettante class feature. He gets the Spell Boost feature at Eldritch Master levels 3,6 and 9.

Does this mean that Spell Boost gives him a 7th, 8th and 9th level Bard spell slot? And he could add Greater Consumptive Field (7th level), Greater Spell Immunity (8th) and True Resurrection (9th) to his list of spells known?

« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 01:15:48 AM by Xzar »

Mooncrow

« Reply #136 on: October 09, 2011, 12:58:55 AM »

Would advancing BM casting still function this way, as it is part of its casting mechanic?

Well, the chameleon is probably a bad example, because it's somewhat debatable whether it's an actual "caster class" or not. The BM is an actual caster class, though, so if another prestige class says "you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in the spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level." you would obviously gain CL x2.  

Aharon

« Reply #137 on: October 09, 2011, 07:43:46 AM »
Q46 How exactly does Magic Jar work? Has anybody ever made a breakdown, as surreal did for the polymorph line of spells? Specifically, I have a few starting questions:
  • What is your creature type when you occupy a body?
  • Do buffs stay with your body or your soul?
  • Can you, or can you not occupy bodies of life forces powered by negative energy?
By clicking this link, you open a pop-up, but I get a eurocent for my current wish, the 5th book of the Wheel of Time series. Please note that this only works if you leave the pop-up opened till it has finished loading. Thank you!

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: October 09, 2011, 01:37:46 PM »
bump

Q 35 When you make nonhumanoid armor with special materials, what part of the price is doubled? All of it, or just the base cost of the armor? Say for example, nonhumanoid mithral breastplate. 8400 gold, or 4400 gold?

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: October 09, 2011, 03:13:08 PM »
bump

Q 35 When you make nonhumanoid armor with special materials, what part of the price is doubled? All of it, or just the base cost of the armor? Say for example, nonhumanoid mithral breastplate. 8400 gold, or 4400 gold?
The way i understood it was that the extra cost was due to the difficulty to create or rarity of making armor that shape not any additional materials. Dont think there is a RAW answer though.