Author Topic: Dice Practicality  (Read 4242 times)

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
Dice Practicality
« on: October 01, 2011, 04:58:40 PM »
Okay, this thread would more properly belong in The Kitchen Sink, but that board gets fuckall traffic as far as I can tell so I'm posting it here.

I'm designing a system whose central mechanic involves rolling 3 dice. Right now, they're d6s, matching up roughly to D&D's RNG spread, if not the likelihood of rolling each result. This also has an advantage in the ubiquity of d6s; it's no problem to get a bunch of them.

However, I'm considering switching it to d10s. It makes other numbers scale more easily, because I can have increments of 5 rather than increments of 3, and it's a lot easier to run those numbers on the fly quickly. For a variety of reasons related to other mechanics, I think it's important that success increments step by roughly the average result of the die, so just accept that as axiomatic here. The problem is that expecting people to have 3 d10s is  more demanding than 3 d6s. You pretty much have to buy at least 2 sets of dice, and you won't use any but the d10s except in rare circumstances so it's kind of a waste unless you're already playing other systems enough to have done that.

So, what I'm wondering here is, which practicality value is more important? The practicality of easy gameplay, or the practicality of getting materials for playing in the first place?
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
Re: Dice Practicality
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 05:32:27 PM »
With 3d6, a +1 is a really big deal. With 3d10, you can more generously hand out bonuses.

Now on to your question.
How often will you need 3d10?
Will you need more than 3 d10s?
What other dice will you need? Because if you need 3d10 and d4s and d6s, People might as well purchase whole dice sets, so you shouldn't be shy about using odd dice.

If most of the other dice used are d6s, have you considered using 5d6? Adds up to 30, only d6, still has a bell curve, though more dispersed (if I am correct...).
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 05:47:31 PM »
The thing that 4e unintentionally "proved" was
even trying to make the game linear isn't good enough.
Trying hard also isn't good enough.
Mix in too much stuff and the game can't be linear.

What exactly this has to do with dice?
If you're trying for linear, I don't think the dice matter. It ain't happening.
If you aren't trying for linear, then:
a) ... GOOD !!
b) ... idk the math to help (silly me).

amalcon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 05:51:21 PM »
Whitewolf games have historically used lots of d10s.  On that basis, it should be possible to come up with large numbers of them.

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 06:43:48 PM »
Whitewolf games have historically used lots of d10s.  On that basis, it should be possible to come up with large numbers of them.

This. And bulk dice aren't as hard to come by as a lot of people think either.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 06:56:55 PM »
You'll need 3d10 (or 3d6) anytime you'd need a d20 in D&D, which is to say often. Regardless of the choice I make, certain special abilities will let you roll extra dice (some will only let you roll extra and take the best 3 or whatever, but still). I don't know of anything that will require any other die size off the top of my head, but I want to leave things open for things like variable damage bonuses or something (the base rules have fixed damage if you successfully hit though).

That's a good point about the bonus magnitude, though. Between that and reassurances that bulk d10s aren't as rare as I assume, I'll probably go with that. For the sake of ease of math, everything'll be calibrated from 15 being the "unmodified average" that 10 is in D&D, so everything'll be slightly likelier to succeed than fail since the actual value is 16. I wonder if that gives too much advantage to offense, though.

Thanks for the help.

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 07:15:31 PM »
d10s are easier to spin like a top than d6, so it'll give players something to do when the going gets slow...  :lmao
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 07:38:08 PM »
Honestly, d10's in general are about as common as d20's, and if you can buy one you can almost as easily buy 3...

5d6 will significantly normalize the "d20" rolls in your game, although the 3d10's will only normalize it slightly.  2d12 will very slightly normalize it, and the middle 90% of your die rolls will still consist of 18 different values.

In any case except the 2d12, a +1 will actually matter more, since the number of different results you can get in the middle 90% of a "d20" roll is smaller.

radionausea

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 04:34:58 AM »
I don't know what it's like in the States but any games shop here in the UK has boxes of loose dice of all number of sides, usually for about 20p. 
Is it that different elsewhere?
Stronghearted halflings do not exist.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 04:54:29 AM »
Bah, d11s are where it's at.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Jackinthegreen

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 04:56:05 AM »
If you're trying to emulate a d20, 2d10 ups the average roll from 10.5 to 11 and keeps the rest of the rules pretty much in line.  Crit ranges don't have to be modified like with changing it to anything but max 20.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 03:19:17 PM »
Concerns about the difficulty of getting dice might have applied in 1975 or so, but frankly, anyone who can't figure out how to find d10's in the Ebay era probably isn't going to be able to figure out your rules system, either.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 04:30:44 PM »
It was more of a concern of convenience than strict availability, but I take your point.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
It was more of a concern of convenience than strict availability, but I take your point.

Well, think of it this way:

1. Anyone who is interested in your system is interested in roleplaying games.

2. Anyone who is interested in roleplaying games is likely to have the dice commonly associated with roleplaying games.

3. Therefore, for the vast majority of individuals interested in your system, there will be no inconvenience at all.

It just seems to me that, in general, you can do more with d10's than d6's--percentiles come to mind immediately.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 05:07:09 PM »
Definitely true. If I wanted to optimize for convenience, I'd leave it at 2d10. Dice sets already come with 2, so you only need to have bought one. Still, I like the increased spread from a third, and it smooths the bell curve to about the level I find good.

Sjappo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Cheers
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 10:28:30 AM »
If all you are worried about is availability of dice I would stop worrying.

Everybody who has a dice set already has 2. Most gamers I know have more than 1 set, so at least 4 dice. They can share.
Gameshops sell individual die, at least around here.
You only need 1 die freak/WoD player to be drowning in d10. You probably already have one such player. Maybe you are such a player.
This. Just an example. Dice are cheap. Buying 10 d10 as a GM will make you able to help 3 to 10 players and are way cheaper than buying yet an other book.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 12:25:44 PM »
I swapped to using 3d6 for a game one time to try it out, the math went something like a 0.6% chance to roll a 3 or an 18, and the vast majority of the rolls fell in the 9-13 range. It worked pretty well for that game, since it was incredibly low-magic, and so I could hand out nice things like really well made stuff for +1's and 2's without worrying about whether or not it was trivial to the players because of how much it counted for with their rolls.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 06:38:51 PM »
I'm thinking 10d2, because screw 1d20, 2d10, 3d6, and preemptively do so for the 5d4.

10d2 ftw, wide ranging odds be damned.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 07:32:15 PM »
I'm thinking 10d2, because screw 1d20, 2d10, 3d6, and preemptively do so for the 5d4.

10d2 ftw, wide ranging odds be damned.

D02: Know No Limit!

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 08:37:37 PM »
Fuck, why am I even bothering writing something? Game over, man, game over! I was beaten before I started! This D02 system is a triumphant expression of everything good about roleplaying, not to mention a glorious throatpunch to the cancer that has been killing tabletops. Not tabletop games, I'm referring to actual table surfaces.