Author Topic: Vow of Poverty  (Read 20404 times)

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Vow of Poverty
« on: September 28, 2011, 07:05:29 PM »
I've seen it stated many places that VoP is a trap.  I'm wondering what builds there are for which VoP is actually an optimized choice.  Maybe... Druid?  Or Sentinel of Bharrai builds, basically things which spend a lot of time in another form?
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Vow of Poverty
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 07:09:58 PM »
VoP is a two part trap. The first one is that Items beat the bonuses hands down as they are customized to your character. The second is that as soon as you so much as walk indoors you are violating VoP by RAW. It's stupid, but true.

That said, I had some luck with a VoP Apostle of Peace. Not the greatest thing in the world, but passable in a tier 4 or lower game.

Oh, and inb4 "VoP is AWESOME GUYS"

heroicraptor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 07:21:31 PM »
The second is that as soon as you so much as walk indoors you are violating VoP by RAW. It's stupid, but true.

Where does it say that?

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 07:24:57 PM »
VoP is a two part trap. The first one is that Items beat the bonuses hands down as they are customized to your character. The second is that as soon as you so much as walk indoors you are violating VoP by RAW. It's stupid, but true.

That's why I was thinking of a druid -- wildshape and you can stay outside (though going indoors for reasons other than "for shelter" should be fine, don't you think?), and your natural weapons wouldn't have enchantments on them anyway...
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 07:28:24 PM »
VoP is AWESOME GUYS
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 07:36:15 PM »
The second is that as soon as you so much as walk indoors you are violating VoP by RAW. It's stupid, but true.

Where does it say that?

Any time you gain the benefit of anything worth money...such as shelter from a roof. It's completely ridiculous and handwaved by any sane DM, but it's there.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 07:43:34 PM »

Where does it say that?

Any time you gain the benefit of anything worth money...such as shelter from a roof. It's completely ridiculous and handwaved by any sane DM, but it's there.
No, it's not there.  Not only can you go inside houses (assuming you're invited, because you also have to be a nice guy), but you can even have items from wands cast on you by other people.  You can even use a potion if it's given to you by someone else for that explicit purpose.

In any case, Vow of Poverty is good in any instance where you are playing a character that won't have access to magic items much of the time, regardless of whether or not they take the feat.  Wildshape-focused Druids are a good example, since their equipment gets melded into their bodies when they transform.  Spellcasters that make frequent use of Polymorph and it's kin might also gain substantial benefit from the feat.  Sorcerers in particular can be good characters to slap VoP on, since they get to use DCFS to shuffle the bonus exalted feats around into something useful.  There's also an exalted VoP Shadow Illusionist Wizard you can put together that uses a variety of interesting toys to make an amazing spontaneous caster (yes, spontaneous).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 07:48:32 PM by X-Codes »

Tonymitsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 07:51:59 PM »

Where does it say that?

No it's not.

In fact the primary description states only that you may not "own magic items".  It isn't until the feat description that this is expanded on with "May only own ordinary (not masterwork) simple weapons, simple clothes, and carry enough food to sustain himself for one day (silly, since after level 5 you don't need to eat any more)" and "that you may use a spell component pouch".
Further, it also says you may benefit from one-use items given to you by the party (such as potions).  It only ever talks about your characters possessions.  That you would not be allowed to possess a building is a given I would think.

Are you sure you aren't confusing this with the Fist of the Forest special requirement?

Anyway, the third real trap of Vow of Poverty is that it doesn't scale at all.
As was stated, magic items are simply better in the end than benefits from this feat.  At low levels, when no one has any items, properly made VoP builds can seem outright broken.  At mid levels, you slowly start to find yourself on even keel with the rest of the party.  After about levels 12 to 14 and up, magic items far surpass any benefit granted by this feat.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 07:52:11 PM »
Psions do reasonably well in a low-wealth game using VOP, assuming their psicrystals aren't considered "wealth."

Totemists are the same way.

And druids, obviously.

Everyone else, only if it's a virtually no-wealth-at-all game.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 07:56:35 PM »
Psions do reasonably well in a low-wealth game using VOP, assuming their psicrystals aren't considered "wealth."
Shapers and Egoists in particular, I assume?  Although, I have to admit that I don't often see any other kind of psion being played (unless it's by me, playing my Seer).

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 08:08:05 PM »
Shapers and Egoists in particular, I assume?  Although, I have to admit that I don't often see any other kind of psion being played (unless it's by me, playing my Seer).
I like shapers the best, though if I have a character that's all about the shapechanging, changeling egoists are great. Warforged egoists for being a Transformer (so long as you have a warforged body feat).

But yes, generally. VoP is pretty spiffy with certain types of psion, especially warforged with, say, Adamantine Body.

Also, I think there's a joke in there somewhere about seeing with a seer.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 09:26:03 PM »
I don't know about seeing with a seer, but you can't unsee a seer unless it's an unseen seer.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 09:30:14 PM »
I don't know about seeing with a seer, but you can't unsee a seer unless it's an unseen seer.
I see...

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 09:31:06 PM »
Only 'optimal' in an explicitly low wealth campaign, on a few classes, with a DM who understands the spirit of VoP.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 09:57:39 PM »
As written, clerics can't carry around their divine focus.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bester

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 10:03:27 PM »
VoP is a two part trap.

People sometimes forget that VoP requires 2 feats to take.

I'd only ever consider taking it with a wildshaping ranger, and even then I wouldn't.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 10:07:43 PM »
Incarnum users can do okay with it, since their class features take up magic item slots.

But still, it's a trap in all but the explicitly low-wealth games.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 10:55:06 PM »
Incarnum users can do okay with it, since their class features take up magic item slots.

But still, it's a trap in all but the explicitly low-wealth games.

Agreed.

I'd use it for the exalted feats as a exalted wild shaper, like nonviolence as a grappler

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 12:19:38 PM »
As written, clerics can't carry around their divine focus.

They can carve their holy (unholy) symbol into their flesh / tattoo.

Merkwerdigeliebe

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 02:34:04 PM »
VoP Cohorts? DCS Abuse? VoP Psicrystal?

Assuming the rest of the party is getting more treasure/money, because you are abstaining, it might even out a *little* better than most think. Probably still not optimal in many cases, but interesting flavor. I'd probably attempt to convince my DM to waive the prereq.

Also: VoP Artificer.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 02:43:01 PM by Merkwerdigeliebe »