Author Topic: Making Psionic Multipouncing  (Read 5505 times)

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Making Psionic Multipouncing
« on: September 28, 2011, 02:20:43 AM »
The Hunter-Killer build got me thinking...how hard would it be to get a multipouncer with 16 BAB and at least 17 ML?  Is there even a way to get multipounce on this sort of build without resorting to Ardent as a base?  Or is it best served with some sort of fast progressing class or ArcSwSg?
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
Re: Making Psionic Multipouncing
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 10:33:04 AM »
Ardent 8/SwordSage 1/Telflamar Shadowlord 4/Ardent 2/X 5 does multipouncing very well especially with dominant ideal, Linked Power and Twin Power. :)

Edit: This build is less than 16 BAB.  But with 9-12 (or infinite depending on how the DM reads synchronicity) full attacks per round, you don't care.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 11:14:22 AM by Rebel7284 »
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 02:27:54 PM »
Are Blade of Orien, Crinti Shadow Marauder, and Telflammar Shadowlord the only sources of shadow/teleport pouncing?
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 03:13:19 PM »
Are Blade of Orien, Crinti Shadow Marauder, and Telflammar Shadowlord the only sources of shadow/teleport pouncing?
Official ones, yeah I think. Non-official, I've got no idea.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 03:33:32 PM »
Ok, which basically means BoO is out, as it's a non-caster/manifester and it's on the capstone 10 levels in.  Crinti is lighter on feats, but 5 levels in, while TSL gets it at 4 with a feat tax.  I thought about Ardent 10/Swordsage 1/TSL 4/Abjurant Champion 5, but it only gets 15 BAB...if I sub in Slayer it'd hit the magic number there, but that's a LOT of lost levels of manifesting.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 03:50:48 PM »
It's not pouncing, but the Sun School tactical gives you a free attack, so any Tash build can multi-pummel.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 03:59:57 PM »
It's not pouncing, but the Sun School tactical gives you a free attack, so any Tash build can multi-pummel.

Can't that trigger after any teleport, and allow a full attack if you have means to?  I'm thinking battle jump type stuff, and triggering pounce by falling repeatedly, perhaps?
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 04:02:59 PM »

Can't that trigger after any teleport, and allow a full attack if you have means to?  I'm thinking battle jump type stuff, and triggering pounce by falling repeatedly, perhaps?

This works, but has nothing to do with the Sun School feat.  With battle jump you can just keep teleporting and falling.  Such a poorly written feat >.<
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 04:10:33 PM »

Can't that trigger after any teleport, and allow a full attack if you have means to?  I'm thinking battle jump type stuff, and triggering pounce by falling repeatedly, perhaps?

This works, but has nothing to do with the Sun School feat.  With battle jump you can just keep teleporting and falling.  Such a poorly written feat >.<

Hmm...so less feat tax to just Battle Pounce?  I feel an uberdragoon coming on...what was the feat that allowed casting/manifesting as a move action?  It was like Rapid Casting or somesuch.

EDIT : Ardent 10/Swordsage 2/Chosen of Saridor 3/Abjurant Champion 5 ~ Gives BAB 16/ML 18, one required feat to enter, Battle Jump at level 1.  Feat leech the psicrystal for metapsionics, and select the shadow hand maneuvers to BAMF (spacing out the swordsage levels if need be).  Once you have a couple (read : scrying or remote viewing) powers to find your victim, teleport there within temporal acceleration after buffing, and begin the pounce routine.  I'm seeing a total of 3 from Move, Standard, and Swift, 1 more from schism, and at least one more from Psychic Renewal, with a total of 4 focii to play with.  After Battle Pouncing for 1k damage plus each attack (at least 5 per full attack, ignoring armor, shield, and dex), 25 attacks later you can immediate action Anticipatory Strike for even more damage (another entire routine), or go back into temporal acceleration to recharge and refresh.  Either way, you're effectively the flash nightcrawler, and doing any super saiyan proud, despite with a spear instead of your fist.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 04:22:17 PM by KellKheraptis »
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 04:24:08 PM »

Can't that trigger after any teleport, and allow a full attack if you have means to?  I'm thinking battle jump type stuff, and triggering pounce by falling repeatedly, perhaps?

This works, but has nothing to do with the Sun School feat.  With battle jump you can just keep teleporting and falling.  Such a poorly written feat >.<

Hmm...so less feat tax to just Battle Pounce?  I feel an uberdragoon coming on...what was the feat that allowed casting/manifesting as a move action?  It was like Rapid Casting or somesuch.

Dimension Slide and Dimension Door can both be manifested as move actions with the right augmentations.  With Twin Power/Dominant Ideal you can swift action-> Double Hustle, Each Hustle Double Dimention Slide for 4 full attacks off a swift action.  More amusing with Fission as then you can use Dimention Swap instead to get 16 full attacks between you and your clone... as a swift action (pretty sure dimention swap ALSO has move action augmentation.)

Edit: never mind, seems Dimention Swap doesn't work.  No augment for move action.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 04:28:00 PM by Rebel7284 »

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 04:29:44 PM »

Dimension Slide and Dimension Door can both be manifested as move actions with the right augmentations.  With Twin Power/Dominant Ideal you can swift action-> Double Hustle, Each Hustle Double Dimention Slide for 4 full attacks off a swift action.  More amusing with Fission as then you can use Dimention Swap instead to get 16 full attacks between you and your clone... as a swift action (pretty sure dimention swap ALSO has move action augmentation.)

Edit: never mind, seems Dimention Swap doesn't work.  No augment for move action.

Wow, so only needs Twin Power, those two powers, Battle Jump, and a means of snagging pounce.  I wonder if it's worth it to take Barbarian and then sub out rage for something, since you can't use it while manifesting.  Lemme look around and I'll post once I have a new build.  This is gonna get wicked fast...
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 04:34:07 PM »
And greater metamorphosis into a chronotyryn?
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 04:36:59 PM »

Nobody alert Endarire to this thread. NOBODY.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 04:37:13 PM »
This is gonna get wicked fast...

Dude... the first post I made gets infinite full attacks assuming you can stack synchronicity and have a recharge mechanic.  How much more uber do you really need?

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 04:59:54 PM »
Barbarian 1/Ardent 10/Abjurant Champion 5/Champion of Saridor 3/xxx 1

Sub fast movement for Pounce.
Sub rage and indomitable will for archery style and favored enemy.
Sub archery style for fast movement and wild shape.
Sub wild shape and armor and shield proficiencies for monk AC bonus, fast movement, Track, favored enemy, and swift tracker.
Sub one favored enemy for Arcane Hunter.  Do whatever with the other.
Sub mantle for Dominant Ideal.

This little gem gets at least 18 ML/at least 16 BAB, at least 40' movement, pounce, track, and full use of it's massive Wisdom score.  Fighter as the random level brings you up to 17 BAB/18 ML, Fort 11, Ref 5, Will 12, with full capability to buff with AC goodies and Precog/Defensive and Inertial Armor.  Knowledge Devotion and a few skill points (possibly knowledge mantle, subbing or adding in useful powers pertaining to scrying/precognition, to nab more knowledge skills as class skills) provides a power free insight bonus to hit and damage, plus with a Chameleon Crafter, you can pick up Wraithstrike.  Ensure you have your trusty Valorous Lance of Vaulting, Twin Power, and Battle Jump and friends (feat leeched if need be from the pet rock), and let the enemy feel rage in the form of nonstop full attack pouncing impalement.  I will call him...Vlad.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 05:02:47 PM »
Battle Jump is well known to Endaire, and while the feat is badly worded, it doesn't actually say that you get a free attack by using it.

Also, Sun School doesn't give a full attack, just a single attack.  It's an old tactical feat from CWar that requires Flurry of Blows.  Aside from the ability to smack something after teleporting, it's pretty craptacular.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 05:09:34 PM »
Battle Jump is well known to Endaire, and while the feat is badly worded, it doesn't actually say that you get a free attack by using it.

Also, Sun School doesn't give a full attack, just a single attack.  It's an old tactical feat from CWar that requires Flurry of Blows.  Aside from the ability to smack something after teleporting, it's pretty craptacular.

It is automatically considered a charge, thus enabling Pounce, as I understand the trick.  That much is even spelled out in the Normal section of the feat, stating falling does not normally initiate a charge.  It's not well written, but short of blowing mass levels and ML on one of the two feat sink classes, it's the best we've got to work with without REAL shadow pouncing.

Now, lemme work on a bardic version abusing Contemplative opening up the entire Cleric list to a Sublime Chord.  It'd be a DP Abjurant Champion gish, but oh my the CL...also would work well with a Chameleon Crafter turning all these nice powers into spells.

EDIT : Oh, and my ubermage will most likely have this as an integrated trick.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 05:31:03 PM by KellKheraptis »
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 05:39:59 PM »
When you twin a power, how do you make sure you have time to fall 5 feet between the first and the second time the power goes off?

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 08:09:27 PM »
I whole heartedly hate multipouncing both fluffwise and mechanically.

If you really must make mundanes cry go reread psionic lion's charge. Not that anyone should allow that either but...
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 08:50:42 PM »
I whole heartedly hate multipouncing both fluffwise and mechanically.

If you really must make mundanes cry go reread psionic lion's charge. Not that anyone should allow that either but...

As in that debate earlier that RAW it gives 3 full attacks on a swift without twinning?  Also debating on using that. or it's arcane equivalent.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!