Author Topic: Don't want to be redundant  (Read 4599 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Don't want to be redundant
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 11:34:37 PM »
+7 insight bonus to AB or AC as you desire is awesome and is a must-have for a beatstick. Any domain spells awesome enough to compete with that (hint: none of the law domain spells qualify) are worth casting with regular spell slots.
You're missing the point, that's not the option here.  The option is getting domain spells or not getting domain spells.  Law Devotion can, and should, be taken as a standard feat with this build, not be obtained by sacking the character's last domain.

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 02:37:26 AM »
But there's nothing that great with the Law Domain. Especially if he can Divine Magician + Domain Spontaneity.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 03:12:33 AM »
Except an extra spell slot at each level.  Even if the Law domain isn't so super, I can probably convince my DM (given what I said above) that as long as I have a domain slot I can prep my Divine Magician spells in it (probable RAI).
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 12:46:31 PM »
You aren't losing your domain spell slots. Just the spells grant by virtue of having the Law domain. So Order's Wrath and Hold Monster et cetera.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 02:09:41 PM »
If I don't have any domains, how do I have domain spell slots?

[spoiler]
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2011, 03:00:53 PM »
You get domain spell slots as a cleric. You could choose no domains a level 1 cleric and still get domain slots -- you couldn't use your domain slots, but they'd be there. Moreover, divine magician is obviously intended act as a domain sans power.

I know this is murky RAI vs RAW, but your DM seems to a be a cool guy running a super powered campaign. The best thing to do is ask him if you'd retain your slots.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2011, 05:27:23 PM »
You get domain spell slots as a cleric. You could choose no domains a level 1 cleric and still get domain slots -- you couldn't use your domain slots, but they'd be there.
Who cares if they exist or not if they're absolutely worthless?  Picking Law Domain over Law Devotion means you have 1 extra spell of each level each day, and the low level Law Domain spells are not bad spells (in fact, Magic Circle Against Chaos and Shield of Law are two extremely solid spells, and Dictum has a lot of abuse potential).  This far outweighs the value of ANY feat, including Law Devotion.  What's more, you can take a level of Ordained Champion to lose the crappy Law Domain ability and get a Fighter feat, which makes up the opportunity cost of not getting Law Devotion by sacking your Domain.

As such, in this specific case, not sacking Law Domain for Law Devotion is absolutely the superior choice.  Note that I'm not saying to not take Law Devotion ever, just don't take it by sacking a domain.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2011, 10:40:38 PM »
Just to update, preparing my Divine Magician spells in the domain slots (thereby freeing up the domain to swap for Law Devotion) has been approved.  Yay for Ray of Enfeeblement in a domain slot!

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]