Author Topic: Is there a guide to how Extradimensional/Nondimensional spaces interact?  (Read 2203 times)

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
Is there a guide somewhere to all the rules about which spells and items that use extradimensional or nondimensional spaces or whatever interact 'badly', and which ones do not, and where the sources for these rulings are?  Has someone compiled all the 3.5 flavor text and rules text on this topic and come up with a simple, specific handbook to Dos and Don'ts with these sorts of things? I would REALLY REALLY like to find such a thing if someone DID make it... Thanks!
BG's other resident furry!

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
Re: Is there a guide to how Extradimensional/Nondimensional spaces interact?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 02:14:10 AM »
There is somewhere in the handbooks section of some DnD forum, I think it's this one, let me see if I can dig it up...
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 04:02:12 AM »
And the 3.0e FAQ. Which contradicts itself on this topic.

#$)@*#$!

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 10:05:42 PM »
Contradicts? No surprise.

hmm ... y'know they didn't have to use two different words for the same thing.
And usually they don't.

I bet there's some interesting and weird interactions lurking within all this.
Lots to read.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 12:18:36 AM »
The only RAW interactions I've seen have been between a Bag of Holding and Portable Hole, specifically.  No other extradimensional spaces have any text on interactions with other items.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 12:25:14 AM »
What items mention 'bag of holding' or 'portable hole' as what they act like? Other than the two belts with the pockets that are miniature bags of holding?

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 12:52:50 AM »
I suspect the reason Rope Trick says anything is to keep you from casting Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion inside of it.

Also: Sometimes player characters can get downright silly about what they place in their bags of holding and will attempt to stuff inside it anything that's not nailed down. Player characters also love to stuff their comrades, living or dead, into their bags of holding. Is kinda true, but replace "comrades" with "everybody" and "nailed down" with "nailed down & on fire".

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 03:53:57 AM »
Also: Sometimes player characters can get downright silly about what they place in their bags of holding and will attempt to stuff inside it anything that's not nailed down. Player characters also love to stuff their comrades, living or dead, into their bags of holding. Is kinda true, but replace "comrades" with "everybody" and "nailed down" with "nailed down & on fire".

We have shrink item and gloves of storing for that.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Sorator

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • DnDOG - The best site for play-by-post D&D (and other RPG's).
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 04:02:38 AM »
For reference, the SRD entry for a bag of holding says this:
Quote from: Bag of Holding desc
If a bag of holding is placed within a portable hole a rift to the Astral Plane is torn in the space: Bag and hole alike are sucked into the void and forever lost. If a portable hole is placed within a bag of holding, it opens a gate to the Astral Plane: The hole, the bag, and any creatures within a 10-foot radius are drawn there, destroying the portable hole and bag of holding in the process.

Rope trick, on the other hand, has one sentence on the subject that is much more general:
Quote from: rope trick desc
Note: It is hazardous to create an extradimensional space within an existing extradimensional space or to take an extradimensional space into an existing one.

Quote from: Gavinfoxx
What items mention 'bag of holding' or 'portable hole' as what they act like? Other than the two belts with the pockets that are miniature bags of holding?
Only ones that I know of are the ones you mentioned (belt of many pockets and it's nerfed version in the MIC) and Heward's Handy Haversack, which has two side pockets which are "like a bag of holding".