Author Topic: Single martial discipline building  (Read 2478 times)

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
Single martial discipline building
« on: September 11, 2011, 08:24:09 AM »
If you would like to focus on just one discipline (I mean taking maneuvers and stances only from it) what would be the best class choices or build strategies for each of the disciplines?
For example: I'm making a Tiger Claw Warblade and I'm curious if there's something I should know (optimization-wise), besides all the things about TWFing, of course.
What feats? TWF is a must, I assume, but is there something else?
How to arrange stats? High Str and decent Dex?
The best strategy is to make lots of attacks and pump your chances to critical hit?
Pump up Jump? (that's rather obvious)
What else?
Of course I'm not averse to small dips but it's all about the discipline.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 08:26:37 AM by ImperatorK »
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

Gribel

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Single martial discipline building
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 10:25:30 AM »
The prestige classes from ToB are all about dedicating yourself to a single discipline (except for Mo9), so that's a good start.

Edit: Stormguard Warrior coupled with AoO's generators is a nice combo aswell.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 10:28:55 AM by Gribel »

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 11:25:56 AM »
Tiger Claw is interesting in that your Str or your Dex can be higher.  Pumping Dex gives you a feat tax in Weapon Finesse, but you need to keep it high anyway for TWF feats.  Recall that Light weapons only deal 1/2 your Str bonus in damage.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 11:52:32 AM »
Diamond Mind is a pretty well-balanced discipline that can also be used to imply a particular kind of character/concept.

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 12:39:26 PM »
Recall that Light weapons only deal 1/2 your Str bonus in damage.
As off-hand weapon.

[spoiler]
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

Gribel

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 01:15:16 PM »
Recall that Light weapons only deal 1/2 your Str bonus in damage.
As off-hand weapon.
As long as you have 1 level in Bloodclaw Master, you do full Str damage with your off-hand.

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 01:51:20 PM »
Yes, but I meant that a light weapon deals full damage in primary hand.

[spoiler]

About me:

[/spoiler]

emaNsdrawkcaB

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Unicorn Power!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 02:55:32 PM »
Regardless of off hand or primary, one of those dips you were talking about needs to be Bloodclaw Master 2.

I like the sound of Lion Totem Whirling Frenzy Barbarian too.

And if you don't feel like pumping DEX, you could grab 2 levels of Ranger for TWF without prereqs, and use Glove of the balanced hand for ITWF.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 03:15:02 PM »
Let's get the obvious stuff out of the way first...

Desert Wind -> Swordsage
Devoted Spirit -> Crusader
Iron Heart -> Warblade
Setting Sun -> Swordsage
Shadow Hand -> Swordsage

As for the remaining 4, I would probably say...

Diamond Mind -> Warblade
Tiger Claw -> Warblade (although you can make a strong argument for Swordsage)
Stone Dragon -> Crusader
White Raven -> Crusader

I would not strictly follow the idea that a given PrC is automatically awesome for a given Discipline.  Bloodclaw Master is obviously the iconic Tiger Claw initiator, but Bloodstorm Blade is something of a variation on your typical Iron Heart initiator.

Dawnmor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 04:11:22 AM »
Well for me it depends on what I want to do.  If I want to do a Brute I go Warblade as to me its the most mechanically balance class out there.

If I want to do a Dex based fighter type.  Then I go Swordsage with shadowhand, boost dex and Wis, Int.  Get pixie if I can.  Get Shadowblade (Dex and Wis to Damage w/Shadowhand), Get Swashbuckler if you want though its a doozy and you wont get 9th lvl Manuevers if you want that.  But all in all lvl 8 stuff is insane. 

For a Warblade the best race I Suggest is something with either a High con or a high strength.  Minotaur naturally qualifies though, Grab Feral to complete the fun.  Boost str and con, everything else seems to be a drop stat.  Then grab things that increase your claws.  If you got a druid, have them persist greater magic fang on your claws or get a magic item that can do it.  But a Feral Minotaur does 3d6 which is good damage and also does the same damage as a Large or huge Great axe except you do an additional 2d6 damage if I remember things right.  Make sure you get Gloves of endless javelins to take advantage of the Str and you got a good ranged attack too.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 05:15:35 AM »
Diamond Mind's save swaps are one reason I enjoy playing initiators.

But why limit yourself to one discipline when you can access so many?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 09:50:53 AM »
Interestingly, a Dragonwrought Kobold Sorcerer with the Wyrm of War Sovereign Archetype could take Tiger Claw Maneuvers in lieu of spells known.
Might be interesting, to look for spells, that complement Tiger Claw(Domain Sorc ACF for Dragon domain can get Greater Magic Fang, is there better domain choice?):
Jump should be obvious(eventually retrain, when you can afford a Ring of Jumping), as are Enlarge, Alter Self & (Draconic) Polymorph for Nat. Armor & better Claws.

One Problem, I have with this otherwise intriguing build Idea: Only 1 use per maneuver per encounter :(
If he took a single level of Warblade beforehand, would this affect the maneuvers gained from Sorc. levels(thus being able to revcover them)?

@ Topic:
For a Tiger Claw only Initiator, a Totemist dip(mostly for the additional claws from Girallon Arms) would be pretty much mandatory.
I could see a dip-crazy build like: (Feral, or Draconic-) Human Ranger 2/Lion Totem Barbarian 1/ Totemist 2/Psy War(or Warmind X, if you don't need the bonus feats) 2/Warblade X/Bloodclaw Master X
May not get many maneuvers, or the highest level ones, but a lot of good stuff that complements your favorite combat style. I'd prefer Draconic over Feral for the additional Soulmelds and because the latter is technically 3.0
A more Dex-focused build might go (Wood-)Elf or Halfelf(in case of XP-penalty for multiclassing) include Wildrunner instead of Barbarian(you can get Pounce from Soulmelds, or Psionics) and change Ranger 2 to Swashbuckler 1(or use Ranger 3 to qualify for Wildrunner).

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 10:39:42 AM »
But why limit yourself to one discipline when you can access so many?
Not the point of this thread.

[spoiler]

About me:

[/spoiler]