Author Topic: Metamorphosis  (Read 1380 times)

Scerpico

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Metamorphosis
« on: September 09, 2011, 12:01:43 AM »
I've just been cobbling together a psi-warrior for an upcoming LV14 game when I chanced upon the skin of proteus and by extension the metamorph power.
On the surface this looks obscenely,unfairly good but I have to ask; where it says that I can assume ANY form with HD less than my manifester level so long as its not a certain type or templated does this mean that I could say take the 4HD fleshraker, advance it 10HD until it hits 12HD and large size then transform into that version to gain better stats?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:09:27 AM by Scerpico »

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
Re: Metamorphosis
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 12:13:00 AM »
pretty sure you have to take a typical form of the creature you chose.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Scerpico

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 12:23:23 AM »

I'm pretty sure thats how it works for wildshape but I've been going over the power and can't actually find anything that says so for this beyond the specific banning of templates.
Its the more sane option certainly but then again a buff dinosaur still doesn't have anything on a hydra for exploiting this so perhaps it won't matter too much.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 12:27:47 AM »
BG's other resident furry!

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 12:34:55 AM »
Oddly enough, you can take higher HD forms of whatever creature you're appearing as, as it says you can take any form of up to 15 HD or your manifester level, whichever is lower. The only place in the power that suggests 'typical' qualities is when controlling your own appearance.

Huh. I like.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Scerpico

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 12:45:34 AM »

Thanks Gavinfoxx I hadn't.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to get that impression from reading it Lycanthromancer, I seem to recall you doing something with this power in one of the older threads regarding fighter comparisons, any advice on useful forms you could share in light of this little discovery?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 01:07:18 AM »
The post is here: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2926.msg97988#msg97988

The trick is to use the right form when called for. Even low-level monsters can be ruinous when used in specific situations.

Just make up a list of utility forms, and try and familiarize yourself with the lower-level monsters so you can remember their abilities when needed.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]