Author Topic: Protecting Non-Spellbook Wondrous Items from theft?  (Read 2089 times)

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
Protecting Non-Spellbook Wondrous Items from theft?
« on: September 07, 2011, 03:16:06 PM »
Hi there! My level 7 Artificer has (effectively) Quadruple Wealth By Level with which to use with crafting, and several crafting cost reduction feats.

He has used this to make what is essentially a Lyre of Building on steroids.  This thing is like a third of his wealth, and cost more for him to make than his sentient airship.  It gives him and his tribe (this is a Civilization type game) a FANTASTIC advantage over other folk...

It's almost as costly as his item familiar, which is basically impossible for him to lose, it being wrapped around his neck...

I suppose I'm ALSO looking for ways to protect that, as well... I checked, and he's too small for his mouth with Hoard Gullet to be big enough to swallow the Lyre.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what he could to do protect this item?
BG's other resident furry!

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
Re: Protecting Non-Spellbook Wondrous Items from theft?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 03:23:44 PM »
Why not Graft it in?
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 03:31:01 PM »
...Because it has to have the form of a Lyre of Building and the history of it is that it is a TOOL? An expensive, nice tool, but a tool nonetheless?

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 03:34:13 PM »
Even so, things like this are an option: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/graftWeapon.htm

Anything can be used as an Improvised Weapon, after all.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 03:37:08 PM »
First off, make it hard to sunder by making the frame out of Pure Ore (double hardness) and making the whole thing Dwarvencraft Quality.  So that's a start.

Next, consider keeping it in extradimensional space when not in use.  You can put it in a Portable Hole or Enveloping Pit and then fortify that space (with traps, lair wards, chamber enchantments, and so on), putting the folded up space in your hidden pocket when not in use (consider Dungeonscape's hidden pockets... no one can steal what they can't find). 

JaronK

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 05:17:35 PM »
Well... he DOES have an airship.  It would be the first place folk would look for valuable stuff though...

What would be some of the cheapest ways to fortify the cabin?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 05:19:44 PM »
What would be some of the cheapest ways to fortify the cabin?
Wondrous architecture from SBG, lots of hardening spells, and wait a second this is a lyre of building, it makes architecture invincible while it's being played, get a construct that's good at music, seal off a dungeon from extradimensional travel, and just have it play 24/7.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 05:33:31 PM »
Weeellll the airship is technically ANIMATED fortification, IE, it's based off of an Effigy construct... so I'm not sure if that part of the Lyre will work?

Also I'm thinking of making it a Piccolo or Fife, for purposes of Hoard Gullet.

SolEiji

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Summon the Meteor Pony!
    • D&D Wiki.Org
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 09:29:16 PM »
Get a construct sized safe and play?  At worse, they will steal the safe and be unable to open it due to it's musical invincibility.
Got homebrew?  I keep all my 3.5 homebrew on the D&D Wiki.org!
Current Count: 1333 pages by me and climbing!

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 02:12:09 AM »
Make a bunch of lyres that all look like the lyre, hide them in various obvious places, use Shrink Item on the lyre, wear it as jewellery.

PaO the lyre into a copper coin.  Put an invisible arcane mark on it.  Use Nystul's Aura Remover (tm) to get rid of the auras.  Buy something.  Whenever you need the lyre, use that spell that calls something with your mark on it back to you.

Design a bodyguard cohort.  Have him bodyguard the lyre.

Design the toughest, nastiest, construct you can find.  Put the lyre in it's chest cavity, removeable only by destruction of golem or craft [blah] check of [very high].  Put a trap in when golem is opened up without that check - > teleports lyre somewhere else.

Essentially you just want to make it so some uber-rogue can't steal it, and taking it would involve at some point fighting your entire army.  Safes and things are not your friend, but multiple layers of defense are.  Giant hard to move building with no openings + construct playing Lyre is actually pretty good.  Problem is if you command it to stop someone could steal that ability and also do that, and then bam.  You want some kind of active defense/mobile defense going on there.  Don't forget to arcane mark the Lyre so you can Retrieve it if you need to.  Also, I have wanted to play a good civilization/strategy/nationbuilding game using dnd for a very long time.  Way better than a computer game with a real person in charge.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 08:59:28 PM »
Shrink Item + Hoard Gullet.

Or make an item of the Mind Vault power (from Hyperconscious).

Or turn it into something really really difficult to destroy, like an awakened riverine construct with levels in Master of Many Forms (for immunity to Disintegrate).
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]