Author Topic: Persisted Sonorous Hum  (Read 6874 times)

kremti

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Persisted Sonorous Hum
« on: September 06, 2011, 04:07:32 PM »
So, this spell is definitely persistable.  In fact, it's persistable *AND* sharable with your familiar.  I believe there's even a feat that let your familiar concentrate on a spell you cast that has "concentration" as duration.

What are the "choice" spells that works great with this?  I know Elemental Monolith from CArc is good, but it's level 9 spell...be nice if we get a variety of spells from level 1 through 9 so we can play around with this spell from low level to high...

Am going through Database to see what spells are "Concentration" duration (and not Concentration up to minutes/CL and such, for all day concentration).

-K

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
Re: Persisted Sonorous Hum
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 05:19:20 PM »
Manyjaws is good, for a low level blasty option. As is Telekinesis, for that and more.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

kremti

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 05:55:40 PM »
Augument Familiar (SpC), for a combat familiar, sounds like a perfect thing to make your familiar concentrate on for Shared Persistant Sonorous Hum...

Drums of War (Heroes of Battle, Bard 4) is kind of nice.  -2 to hit and saving throw, no save, FOR EVERY ENEMY IN MEDIUM RANGE.  That's a large area to cover...

Enrage Animal looks decent also.   Have your party AC enraged 24 hours...

Makes the Joyful Noise (SpC) useful, I think

Hm, can have the whole party Raging (As par Rage Spell) 24 hours if you want, I think.

Ahhh, you can move Rainbow Pattern!  I bet you can do funny things with it...

Share Husk *could* be used if Chain of Eyes didn't exist...  :pout

Ohhhh, Summon Swarms.  If only we can control Swarms!

Unfortunately, the Sonorous Hum has the clasue "Next spell you cast that requires concentration to maintain" and "maintained spell expires as normally would", so we can control one casting of Manyjaws or Telekinesis to control with one casting of the Sonorous Hum, but they expire after short while (1 round/CL for telekinessi, 3 rounds for Manyjows) and next concentration-based spell doesn't get maintained by the Sonorous hum anymore.  Alas, it'd be cool if Telekinesis was 24-hour deal...

Elemental Monolith, Alas, is also 1 round/CL...was hoping for 24-hour pet!

-K

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 06:24:33 PM »
Why not persist the other spell, too, though? That's the trick, isn't it?
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

kremti

• Email
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 06:47:33 PM »
Well, Manyjaws and Telekinesis can't be persisted because their ranges are variable ranges.

So Persisted Sonorous Hum is a bit different...it lets you run varianble range/but the concentration-duration spells for 24 hours.

I was hoping there's something that's really nice, like being able to summon a creature and keep it around for 24 hours...like a Swarm.  But alas, I can't find anything *really* cool, unfortunately.

-K

Ikeren

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 08:54:31 PM »
Illusions?

Azrael

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 07:45:46 PM »
Illusions?

My signature char does something similar. Uses a persisted sonorous hum to maintain concentration on a major image while hes under the effects of a superior invisibility. When combat starts you could also overlap it with project image to make it seem as if the major image is casting spells.