Author Topic: Barbarian Gear  (Read 10105 times)

Unbeliever

• King Kong
Re: Barbarian Gear
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2011, 01:52:51 PM »
Lets just say that I REALLY do not like the idea of my character's actions being taken away from me and given to the DM. I always like to be able to DO SOMETHING that I choose for the character to do.  That's why I hate FB.  It takes away one's ability to roleplay... and adds some really weiiird weaknesses.
Oh, well umm... The control weakness is part of being the FB, you get a 1:4 PA ratio, ignore death form damage, and +10 Str. As for really weird weakness, Marbles don't actually stop a FB, he can simply choose to crawl out of them and stand up else where. The idea is to prevent him from murdering you long enough for him to make his save. Which at DC 15 is pretty trivial, a +5 bonus to will saves means you have a 50% chance of beating it, hence trying to buy a round by making him fall in a comic fashion.
Would Righteous Wrath (BOED) help? 

That being said, if you don't like it you don't like it.  It's your character.  Much of the uber damage doesn't come from FB anyway.  Somehow I think doing several hundreds rather than several thousands of points of damage should be enough!  I happen to think the delay death thing is more of a selling point anyway. 

I did manage to build a pretty tough barbarian tank some time ago, if you're interested in going another route. 

Jackinthegreen

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2011, 08:09:02 PM »
I assume you mean the feat Righteous Wrath, yes?  It's a DM's call really, since a Frenzy is definitely not a Rage.  In my eyes the effects of a Frenzy are so powerful that it requires a Will save to get out of.

My party went up against a FB once, and at the end it came down to the bozo making a Will save against my Cleric's Sanctuary.  He failed it (a DC 18ish at the time), and the DM ruled that the FB started going after the Fighter floating 20 feet or so above the ground.  Morbidly amusing to imagine this orc with half his head missing (he was around -50 HP at this time) trying to attack a human 20 feet in the air.

tomasmans

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »
Lets just say that I REALLY do not like the idea of my character's actions being taken away from me and given to the DM. I always like to be able to DO SOMETHING that I choose for the character to do.  That's why I hate FB.  It takes away one's ability to roleplay... and adds some really weiiird weaknesses.
Oh, well umm... The control weakness is part of being the FB, you get a 1:4 PA ratio, ignore death form damage, and +10 Str. As for really weird weakness, Marbles don't actually stop a FB, he can simply choose to crawl out of them and stand up else where. The idea is to prevent him from murdering you long enough for him to make his save. Which at DC 15 is pretty trivial, a +5 bonus to will saves means you have a 50% chance of beating it, hence trying to buy a round by making him fall in a comic fashion.
Would Righteous Wrath (BOED) help? 

That being said, if you don't like it you don't like it.  It's your character.  Much of the uber damage doesn't come from FB anyway.  Somehow I think doing several hundreds rather than several thousands of points of damage should be enough!  I happen to think the delay death thing is more of a selling point anyway. 

I did manage to build a pretty tough barbarian tank some time ago, if you're interested in going another route. 

sure show me ur build

tomasmans

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2011, 10:28:32 AM »
well ...

how could i prevent me to kill my party and heal me during fight?

tring to be autosuficent?

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2011, 02:39:31 PM »
well ...

how could i prevent me to kill my party and heal me during fight?

tring to be autosuficent?

Wrathful Healing handles the healing part really. You just need to come up with a way to deal twice the amount of damage you wish to heal. IE got 200hp? Deal 400 for full healing each round. FB is pretty much for a deathball mode.

Edit - btw it's DC 20 not ten. Oops. Anyway, make the Will Save and you'll be fine. Early in your levels pick up Steadfast Determination, you'll use your ConMod instead of your WisMod for Will Saves. Assuming you started with double 18s in Str/Con, are using Greater Rage though a Berserker weapon, and picked up a +2 Resistance item you'll save looks like this: +14 = 2 (barb) + 3 (greater rage) + 7 (con) + 2 (resistance), you need a 6 to win it, or 70% success chance. Once your iems can make the needed Will Save, retain out Steadfeast for a combat oriented feat.

And if you're really worried, tell the spellcast to prepare Sadism (BoVD) for you. You have a +X luck bonus to attack, saves, and skill checks where X is the damage you dealt this turn / 10. IE that build of mine would be getting a +84 bonus per hit. Also, Crystal Mask of Mind Armor(MiC, 10k) gives a +4 insight bonus to saves which can be helpful too.

Edit 2 - Had a funny thought. Say you get ambushed and shoved into Frenzy. Upon seeing the animal the DM asks for knowledge checks and you tell him you are under Frenzy and cannot make such a such a check. After killing them while under Sadism, you make your free action save and then make your knowledge check to ID the dead creature. Assuming you have 1 rank in the appropriate Knowledge skill, you could have a +600 bonus to the check. The world's smartest professor, known for his advancements in DNA mapping, is just an illiterate savage.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 03:08:52 PM by SorO_Lost »
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2011, 03:21:08 PM »
Edit 2 - Had a funny thought. Say you get ambushed and shoved into Frenzy. Upon seeing the animal the DM asks for knowledge checks and you tell him you are under Frenzy and cannot make such a such a check. After killing them while under Sadism, you make your free action save and then make your knowledge check to ID the dead creature. Assuming you have 1 rank in the appropriate Knowledge skill, you could have a +600 bonus to the check. The world's smartest professor, known for his advancements in DNA mapping, is just an illiterate savage.

It's probably easier to get a clear look at the DNA if you separate the creature into individual strands of it.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2011, 02:48:19 AM »
It's probably easier to get a clear look at the DNA if you separate the creature into individual strands of it.
I lol'ed.
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2011, 01:01:33 PM »
And if you're really worried, tell the spellcast to prepare Sadism (BoVD) for you. You have a +X luck bonus to attack, saves, and skill checks where X is the damage you dealt this turn / 10. IE that build of mine would be getting a +84 bonus per hit. Also, Crystal Mask of Mind Armor(MiC, 10k) gives a +4 insight bonus to saves which can be helpful too.

I need to play this now.  :lmao :lmao
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Jackinthegreen

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2011, 11:40:48 PM »
Barbarian 1 / Fighter 4 / Psychic Warrior 1 / Exotic Weapon Master 1 / Frenzied Berserker 10 / Exotic Weapon Master +1 / Psychic Warrior +1 / Warblade 1

Strength: 52(+21) = (18 base) + 5 (inherent) + 5 (level) + 6 (enhancement) + 6 (greater rage) + 2 (reckless) + 10 (frenzy)

How does the character have Greater Rage?  That's an 11th level Barbarian ability.  I know3 it's a bit of a nitpick, but it's best to make sure so future builds don't go awry.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2011, 02:08:03 AM »
Berserker, it is a +1 Enhancement that improves your Rage ability by one step (up to Mighty) and it is from FR:UE I believe. I mentioned it earlier but it's probably buried.

Edit - Err wait. Berserker is the +2 Enhancement improvement. Furious is the Rage one.
Click Here

Edit #2 - Edited Class Boosters to contain a section on charging given the recent threads I've replied to that it would have just been easier to link them there.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 06:19:26 AM by SorO_Lost »
[/spoiler]