Author Topic: need advice on choosing a prestige class for Druid  (Read 5010 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: need advice on choosing a prestige class for Druid
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 11:51:00 PM »
Wavekeeper from stormwrack has 9/10 casting, boosts your animal companion(though it has to have a swim speed)
the catch is it doesn't add to wildshape, but at some point it let's you wildshape into a water elemental including ex, sp and su
and you get to pick a domain from a small list (including domain power)

Aquatic theme though, idk if that's helpful to you...
You might be surprised what critters have swim speeds.  Crocs were mentioned, Snakes also have them, although unless there's something above and beyond the usual Animal Companion stuff then it's probably not worthwhile.

Beastmaster + Natural Bond requires that you get a -3 Druid level AC (or a stronger base animal) to achieve full effect, and then it's still just +3 levels compared to a similarly-leveled Druid.  It could be useful for a mid- or late-game dip when your AC potentially lags behind in usefulness and you're in that no-mans-land of 6th- and 7th-level Druid spells that really aren't that impressive.

Mooncrow

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 01:50:42 AM »

Beastmaster + Natural Bond requires that you get a -3 Druid level AC (or a stronger base animal) to achieve full effect, and then it's still just +3 levels compared to a similarly-leveled Druid.  It could be useful for a mid- or late-game dip when your AC potentially lags behind in usefulness and you're in that no-mans-land of 6th- and 7th-level Druid spells that really aren't that impressive.

I was assuming the more widely accepted interpretation of Natural Bond - where it just offsets up to three level of multi-class for a druid.  So, for a Druid 8/BM 1 for example:  8 levels of druid + 1 for Natural Bond + 1 level for BM + 3 levels for BM special = Effective Druid Level of 13 for determining pet statistics/allowable pets.

It's not a great trade, but if you're looking solely to buff your AC while only losing a max of 1 level from caster/wild shape, it's the best I can think of.

trezac

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 02:35:49 PM »
that 's nice too
many thanks to all of you for advice
now I need to go trought my books to see what I am going to do...
I will inform you about my build later on