Author Topic: Range Optimization  (Read 2809 times)

DrHorrible

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • The awesomest ever.
    • ItaSA
    • Email
Range Optimization
« on: August 20, 2011, 10:45:23 AM »
Yeah, I'm opening another thread, hope I'm not exaggerating here...

I found this build I made a couple years ago where I tried to get the highest range I could with a bow.
This is what i got then:

Psychic Warrior 16/ Cragtop Archer 4

Feats:

Far Shot[PHB], Mountain Warrior[RoS], Point Blank Shot[PHB]

Powers:

Living Arrow[CP], Extend Range[CP]

Items:

Distance Dragonbone[Dra] Composite Bow
Flight Arrows[Can't remember where]
Item that casts Hawkeye or WindTunnel

So, this is what came out:

150 ft DragonBone Composite Longbow ( with Flight Arrows adding 20ft )
x1.5 ( Hawkeye )
x2 Distance
x1.5 Far Shot
x 6 Extend Range ( augmented to 16 pp )
=
4050 ft * 15 range increments ( granted by the Cragtop Archer ) = 60750 ft, about 18 Km

It would have been something more with Wind Tunnel.

I thought about using Swifting Arrows but i don't how they would word with the Cragtop Archer ability.

Any ideas to max this? ( I know about Deepwood Sniper even at the time, but being 3.0 I decided not to use it )

- Edit: Maybe sizing up character and weapon with powers?
Believe.

DrHorrible

• The awesomest ever.
    • ItaSA
    • Email
Re: Range Optimization
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 09:12:37 AM »
Even if you can't think of anything to get an higher range, I'd need someone to tell me if the math is correct and this is legal, because I wanted to use him as an NPC for my campaign.

Believe.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 10:31:32 AM »
I don't know enough about this to say if this is all legit, but there's been even higher ranges. Can't seem to find the thread on Google, though - anybody?

The problem then becomes actually making the Spot check to see your target.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 11:45:23 AM »
You need levels of deepwood sniper too... cant remember where its from though

I believe the last build we had for this ended up in a warforged launched into space so he could rain death on his enemies.

DrHorrible

• The awesomest ever.
    • ItaSA
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 12:32:52 PM »
I don't know enough about this to say if this is all legit, but there's been even higher ranges. Can't seem to find the thread on Google, though - anybody?

The problem then becomes actually making the Spot check to see your target.

I searched in the wotc boards but they canceled a lot of stuff...

You could always Scry the target and then use Living Arrow. That would bypass the Spot check , i think.

You need levels of deepwood sniper too... cant remember where its from though

I believe the last build we had for this ended up in a warforged launched into space so he could rain death on his enemies.

It should be in Masters of the Wild but I didn't want to use because it's 3.0 and i don't think it has been reprinted in 3.5.

If you have a link I'd love to see that build!  :lmao

Believe.

DrHorrible

• The awesomest ever.
    • ItaSA
    • Email
Believe.

DeSt

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 06:42:56 AM »
Math in OP is wrong, that's not how multiplication works in D&D.

There's a nice build in the linked thread, however it can easily be improved.

Kalashtar Psywar 14/Stoneblessed 3/Cragtop Archer 3
Feats: Ovechannel, Practiced Manifester, whatever prerequisites you need
18 powerlinks
projectile weapon of your choice, such as composite dragonbone greatbow of distance(150ft base range increment).

Extend range augmented for 56 pp, far shot, weapon of distance - range increment becomes base*16.5. Add umd and few scrolls and we've got base*19
Hmm. I don't like 19. Well, since tranparency is default, grab items for +2 CL, add 2 more powerlinks and we've got 4 more point of augmentation on extend range.

Range increment - base *20

Max shooting distance - base*20*15=base*300

Want to see how much that is? 45000ft. Add in 3.0 rules from SS and flight arrows from magazines and we've got 128k ft.

Or just use any of the tricks for epic feat qualification and grab http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#distantShot - shoot at distant galaxies with no penalties.

Kasz

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 07:49:54 AM »
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 07:52:39 AM by Kasz »

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 09:57:59 AM »
The final build in that thread can shoot 160 miles... the arrow would be traveling at 0.4% the speed of light.

DeSt

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 11:03:20 AM »
Except for 3rd party and non-updated 3.0(that's why i've listed result as 45000 feet).

Just to demonstrate stupidity of it:
"I've just created homebrew feat that adds two light years to range increment so my build is totally sets new record now."

Also, there's totally a lot of room for improvement in the build above, however i feel there's no need in one, as:
1. Practical pov: there's no use for it.
2. Theoretical pov: there's a few possibilities for infinite range, making it unnecessary.

And JFYI: 160 miles in 6 seconds in not even close to "0.4% the speed of light", 4th grader can confirm that.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 01:44:16 PM »
Except for 3rd party and non-updated 3.0(that's why i've listed result as 45000 feet).

Just to demonstrate stupidity of it:
"I've just created homebrew feat that adds two light years to range increment so my build is totally sets new record now."

Also, there's totally a lot of room for improvement in the build above, however i feel there's no need in one, as:
1. Practical pov: there's no use for it.
2. Theoretical pov: there's a few possibilities for infinite range, making it unnecessary.

And JFYI: 160 miles in 6 seconds in not even close to "0.4% the speed of light", 4th grader can confirm that.

1. 3.0 material is usually fine to use provided it hasn't been updated
2. there is no 3rd party stuff in the build
3. 6 seconds is an entire round, it would be better to assume about 3 or 4 for an attack action. If you consider a full attack takes 6 seconds for 4 attacks that leaves us with 1.5 second per attack. Say .5 second for aiming gets 160 miles/second. 160 miles/second is around 750 times the speed of sound.
4. I did not do the calculations, the speed of light thing was just from a post in the thread.
5. You are a douche, you asked for help. I gave it and then you flamed me. Go die in a fire.

DeSt

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 02:34:45 PM »
1. 3.0 material is usually fine to use provided it hasn't been updated
2. there is no 3rd party stuff in the build
3. 6 seconds is an entire round, it would be better to assume about 3 or 4 for an attack action. If you consider a full attack takes 6 seconds for 4 attacks that leaves us with 1.5 second per attack. Say .5 second for aiming gets 160 miles/second. 160 miles/second is around 750 times the speed of sound.
4. I did not do the calculations, the speed of light thing was just from a post in the thread.
5. You are a douche, you asked for help. I gave it and then you flamed me. Go die in a fire.
1. Psionics has been updated and completely reworked AND that moronic build tries to use both versions at the same time.
2. Yeah, trying to be funny now. Don't, you fail at it.
3. It's not gurps with subsecond calculations, 1/10 of a minute is a minimal existing measurable amount of time.
4. So your point? I didn't too, i have enough of common sense.
5. I did not. And that shows that you not only can't do math but also can't read. All within one message. Fabulous.

to mods: well, i tried to be polite, you can see who started it. and even then there's no reason for it unless build in question is his and he tries to mask his failure flaming on someone who's got enough grasp on the system to reveal it.
with this i depart from the thread, too much hostility.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 04:50:46 PM »
Math in OP is correct.  Real-world values use normal multiplication.  Distance, time, and weight are all real-world values.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

DrHorrible

• The awesomest ever.
    • ItaSA
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 04:54:27 PM »
Math in OP is correct.  Real-world values use normal multiplication.  Distance, time, and weight are all real-world values.

Page 300-something of the PHB, if i'm not mistaken.
Believe.