Author Topic: Weapon & Armor Information  (Read 39850 times)

weenog

• Grape ape
Re: Weapon & Armor Information
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2011, 03:09:19 PM »
Add Displacement as Weapon/Armor priced ability (from OA). It just rocks! 50% miss chance is what you need to survive.

Why would anybody even consider spending 100,000 gp on a weapon that does that?  You can get the cloak for half that, and still have 50k left over to do something to help you cope with enemies that don't care about visual effects.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2011, 03:12:09 PM »
Add Displacement as Weapon/Armor priced ability (from OA). It just rocks! 50% miss chance is what you need to survive.

Why would anybody even consider spending 100,000 gp on a weapon that does that?  You can get the cloak for half that, and still have 50k left over to do something to help you cope with enemies that don't care about visual effects.
With a shuriken though.. :rollseyes
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2011, 03:19:55 PM »

15 rounds/day is the same as constant, huh?  I know combat is normally over rapidly, but I'd prefer something that will apply before my turn ccours.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2011, 03:20:56 PM »

Why would anybody even consider spending 100,000 gp on a weapon that does that?  You can get the cloak for half that, and still have 50k left over to do something to help you cope with enemies that don't care about visual effects.
I'm not entirely convinced that's legal.  Shurikens say they're to be treated as ammunition, but table 7-9 in the DMG refers specifically to "arrows, crossbow bolts, or sling bullets" when talking about magic item prices, not a general "ammunition".  Any sources that come out and say you can do that kind of thing with all ammunition or with shurikens specifically, and aren't a specific spell talking only about itself?

15 rounds/day is the same as constant, huh?  I know combat is normally over rapidly, but I'd prefer something that will apply before my turn ccours.
Not strictly the same, no, but close enough for jazz.  I wonder what kind of situation you're in where you expect to lose initiative but not to have displacement ignored, though.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 03:23:53 PM by weenog »
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2011, 03:27:31 PM »

Why would anybody even consider spending 100,000 gp on a weapon that does that?  You can get the cloak for half that, and still have 50k left over to do something to help you cope with enemies that don't care about visual effects.
I'm not entirely convinced that's legal.  Shurikens say they're to be treated as ammunition, but table 7-9 in the DMG refers specifically to "arrows, crossbow bolts, or sling bullets" when talking about magic item prices, not a general "ammunition".  Any sources that come out and say you can do that kind of thing with all ammunition or with shurikens specifically, and aren't a specific spell talking only about itself?
Well, it just reminded me about this thread and its consensus which I think was that it is legal but you'd get thrown books if it ever got used in an actual game. Not sure though.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 03:29:05 PM by Shiki »
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2011, 03:33:38 PM »
Not strictly the same, no, but close enough for jazz.  I wonder what kind of situation you're in where you expect to lose initiative but not to have displacement ignored, though.
Well, virtually any melee brute will likely tie you in Initiative if you're actually worried about your weapon enhancements (you're likely a melee character if you are).  It's likely you have a higher Initiative modifier than most melee foes (ranged foes are likely to beat you), but iteritive probability means you lose sometime.

Basically, against martial types (attackers, not casters), you're likely to lose initiative when you don't want to and they're the ones that care about Displacement the most.  Casters you will just lose initiative to in all likelyhood, but even some of their good spells require attack rolls (Ray of Stupidity, I'm looking at you).  Basically, against most enemies, it will make a difference and a large set of those are ones you will likely lose initiative to.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2011, 04:19:26 PM »
 :bigeye
Well I have another bookmark...

Maybe not the place to ask but does anyone know what the interaction between the Kakita Katana (nonmagical +2 Oriental Adventures 127) is with magical enhancements? does it stack/overwrite?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2011, 04:24:57 PM »
It should overlap, since it's the same bonus type.

It would be reasonable to let it skip the first +1 required to get qualities on the weapon, but RAW, it doesn't even do that.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2011, 12:07:53 AM »

I'm not entirely convinced that's legal.  Shurikens say they're to be treated as ammunition, but table 7-9 in the DMG refers specifically to "arrows, crossbow bolts, or sling bullets" when talking about magic item prices, not a general "ammunition".  Any sources that come out and say you can do that kind of thing with all ammunition or with shurikens specifically, and aren't a specific spell talking only about itself?

the only place i recall where it makes a slightly less ambiguous comment is the sub-entry on the table listing prices. and that is not all that clear.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine