Author Topic: Weapon & Armor Information  (Read 39715 times)

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Weapon & Armor Information
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2011, 12:38:34 AM »
I'm just going to whip something up in C#. It will have an opening screen where you can see the list, add/remove/modify an item, import/export a list, and print it to a .txt file. When it's printed to a .txt file it will automatically format it for this forum. If anyone wants to stick it on another forum I should be able to modify the output pretty easily.

For each item I'm going to keep track of it's
Name
Type (Weapon/Armor/Shield)
Property (this is what type of items it effects, default will be type but it can be changed to something like Bows)
Subtype (None, Modification, Quality, Alloy, Template)
Price (Gold, +1, +2, +3, +4, +5)
Gold Cost (if price is gold)
Rating (*,**,***,****,*****)
Description (This is where the item's text will go)
Evaluation (This is a person's evaluation of the item)

I'm thinking of keeping track of gold costs and +bonus separately since that would better be able to model specific items.

Any suggestions about this?

Pipe Dream: Make it deconstruct the item via the SRD costs for the listed abilities in it, then show the remaining cost?

Reality: Add a database function where the user can add abilities to a dropdown menu, as well as a generator function for loot
(input=cash value, output=item and remaining gold

^Both of these aren't particularly relevant to it, but they ARE features I would love to see in a DM toolkit.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2011, 02:20:23 AM »
I'm just going to whip something up in C#. It will have an opening screen where you can see the list, add/remove/modify an item, import/export a list, and print it to a .txt file. When it's printed to a .txt file it will automatically format it for this forum. If anyone wants to stick it on another forum I should be able to modify the output pretty easily.

Sure? You can snip the size of your data by using something like
(string) Name
(string) Source
(int) Type
(int) Price
(int) Rating
(string) Description
(string) User Notes

Using flags to handle type/subtype for easy searching.
Weapon = 0x1,
MeleeWeaponOnly = 0x2,
RangedWeaponOnly = 0x4,
AmmoOnly = 0x8,
Armor = 0x10,
ShieldOnly = 0x20,
SpecialMaterial = 0x100,
Template 0x200,
Crystal = 0x400,
Quality = 0x800,

And a single integer for the price rather than using two.
>0 Cost
-1: +1 Bonus
-2: +2 Bonus
-3: +3 Bonus
-4: +4 Bonus
-5: +5 Bonus

Of course, I really think an HTML file would work better. Not only anyone can edit those things in this day and age but unlike being a PROGRAM 100% more likely to be used on a computer. Not everyone trusts their antivirus to pick up things (I sure the hell don't). Though I can't but think your C# desires are based off recently learning it.

In fact, hit my sig up for WoTC_Links. Not only did I create my own version of a link post that sits in my documents bookmarked, but I got it hosted online for free (well they did throw some advertisements somewhere on the page, idk where since firefox hides them). All it is really is 100+ links hide in "spoiler" blocks using a simplistic javascript based method rather than say multiple pages interlinked. Using CSS, which can again be coded within the same single file, you can set the display up to various colums, mouseover highlighting and display, w/e. It would take 1/10th the time to handle the display vs trying to code a GUI. There is no editor mode to code, there is no save/load methods to write, you don't even know an exporter since you can post it here and any of the million hits for free web host. Adding new entries would be as simple as copy/paste into what is a commonly taught programming language in public schools (and even if you now nothing, it's still as simple as look for comment, paste text, add a <br> tag or two, take a nap).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 02:22:39 AM by SorO_Lost »
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2011, 02:33:13 AM »

Sure? You can snip the size of your data by using something like
(string) Name
(string) Source
(int) Type
(int) Price
(int) Rating
(string) Description
(string) User Notes

Using flags to handle type/subtype for easy searching.
Weapon = 0x1,
MeleeWeaponOnly = 0x2,
RangedWeaponOnly = 0x4,
AmmoOnly = 0x8,
Armor = 0x10,
ShieldOnly = 0x20,
SpecialMaterial = 0x100,
Template 0x200,
Crystal = 0x400,
Quality = 0x800,

And a single integer for the price rather than using two.
>0 Cost
-1: +1 Bonus
-2: +2 Bonus
-3: +3 Bonus
-4: +4 Bonus
-5: +5 Bonus

Of course, I really think an HTML file would work better. Not only anyone can edit those things in this day and age but unlike being a PROGRAM 100% more likely to be used on a computer. Not everyone trusts their antivirus to pick up things (I sure the hell don't). Though I can't but think your C# desires are based off recently learning it.

In fact, hit my sig up for WoTC_Links. Not only did I create my own version of a link post that sits in my documents bookmarked, but I got it hosted online for free (well they did throw some advertisements somewhere on the page, idk where since firefox hides them). All it is really is 100+ links hide in "spoiler" blocks using a simplistic javascript based method rather than say multiple pages interlinked. Using CSS, which can again be coded within the same single file, you can set the display up to various colums, mouseover highlighting and display, w/e. It would take 1/10th the time to handle the display vs trying to code a GUI. There is no editor mode to code, there is no save/load methods to write, you don't even know an exporter since you can post it here and any of the million hits for free web host. Adding new entries would be as simple as copy/paste into what is a commonly taught programming language in public schools (and even if you now nothing, it's still as simple as look for comment, paste text, add a <br> tag or two, take a nap).

:blink

Daniel678

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2011, 03:49:37 AM »
I guess I should have made myself clearer, the program is so that I can easily input data and format it for this forum. I am not going to require people to download this application in order to view the data. Anyone will be able to view all of the information in a nicely formatted handbook.

I'm mostly going through this trouble since adding new enhancements requires me go all throughout the handbook and find where they go. After I finish this I will be able to just enter new enhancements and have the program spit out a new version of the handbook.

Also, as long as you know what you are doing a GUI doesn't take that much time to take with WPF.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2011, 04:17:10 AM »
Eh?

I guess I should have made myself clearer, the program is so that I can easily input data and format it for this forum. I am not going to require people to download this application in order to view the data. Anyone will be able to view all of the information in a nicely formatted handbook.
Oooh. Still a lot of effort though.
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
[/spoiler]

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2011, 04:24:13 AM »
Eh?
I think he's forfeiting the staring contest you didn't know you were a part of. 

Daniel678

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2011, 04:44:52 AM »
Testing the program output
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 03:15:41 AM by Daniel678 »

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2011, 03:03:14 PM »
Eh?

I don't know anything of your background, so you dropping code like that just surprised me.
I'm a nerd that plays D&D and browses the internet all the time. Isn't knowing web page design a standard for someone like that?

Sure, my stunning good looks, outdoors men interests, and success with women could damper that nerd image, but but I don't recall mentioning most of that to you. Though I can see how you would have figured it out...
[/spoiler]

Daniel678

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2011, 11:41:11 PM »
I have finished the program. If anyone wants the source code or wants the program itself I'll post it. It's very easy to add and modify the data so anyone can help if they want.

I also can easily if there is something that anyone doesn't like about it.

Weapons
Abilities
+1 Abilities [spoiler]
  • :lol [spoiler]Air Elemental Power (Large) (DMGII, p254) : :Top notch. I especially like these as they give the fighter some flexability beyong 5ft step, kill, kill, CLEAVE, repeat. This ability will scale through all levels - just not neccessarily in combat.   
    Aptitude weapon (BoNS) :Flexability for such a cheap cost makes this a great special ability.
    Dispelling (MIC, p33) :Nice, and cheap, but consider that this ability will be less and less useful after 10th level.
    Dispelling, Greater (MIC, p33) :The MIC comes through again. This makes Dispelling better, and extends its usefulness for a reasonable price.
    Divine Wrath (MIC, p33) :Yowza. If you are a paladin in an undead heavy game, please go get now. 
    Eager (MIC, p34) Melee :A must have for rogues, and pretty good for anyone else. Initiative bonuses are always welcome, esp. when they come so cheap. 
    Earth Elemental Power Large (DMGII, p257) :See Air Elemental Power.
    Earthbound (ECS p266) :If you arn't planning on flying this grants a nice UNNAMED bonus to attack and damage. 
    Energy Surge (MIC, p34) :(Synergy) - Very good power, especially if you have high con. In all likelihood it will come into play more often than the burst powers, and it does WAY more damage. As always with energy damage, pick your energy type wisely. Note this replaces all the surge abilities from the DMGII.
    Fire Elemental Power Large (DMGII, p257 ) :See Air Elemental Power. 
    Heavenly Burst (MIC, p36) :Wow, MIC really fixed this power from * to *****. This is now a must have for good parties!
    Holy Surge (MIC, p36) Melee :An extra 3d6 against evil creatures. Yes, please! This is another awesome one for paladins.
    Illusion Bane (MIC, p36) :Thank you MIC! You fixed this ability but good. Now it is certainly worth considering, especially with the ignore miss chance power!
    Magebane (CA, p143) :Nice, and effective against a whole range of creatures. Great if you can combine it with bane.
    Precise (MIC, p40) :Free feat for a +1 bonus. Always a good tradeoff.
    Quick Loading (MIC, p41) Crossbow :Anything that keeps a player in the game for longer is AOK by me.
    Soulbreaker (MIC, p44) :(Synergy) Now that's what I'm talking 'bout. Negative level goodness at a pretty cheap price.
    Stunning Surge (MIC, p44) :Oh look a DC that scales. This should be on all these abilities. Extra stars just for that!
    Warning (MIC, p46)Water Elemental Power Large (DMGII, p261) :See Air Elemental Power.
    Whirling (MIC, p46) Slashing Melee :Free feat for +1 - and it is the feat at the top of a long chain. Very nice!
    [/spoiler]
  • :clap [spoiler]Bane (DMG, srd ) :One of the best out there, and if you are in a certain campaign or adventure, this one would rate :lol , easily. And its so cheap. 
    Berserker (MIC, p29, UE, p54) :This is a great bonus for any barbarian to pick up.
    Bloodstone (MIC, p29) Melee :If you have access to Vampiric Touch then you should consider getting this.
    Brutal Surge (MIC p30) :Anything that provides combat options at a low opportunity cost is worth getting.
    Defending (DMG, srd ) :This is a great bonus for anyone who does't want to attack with their weapon. It can be used with Greater Magic Weapon for a very cheap bonus.
    Dispelling (MIC, p33) :Nice, and cheap, but consider that this ability will be less and less useful after 10th level.
    Enfeebling (BoED , p113) :Only damages on a crit, but the damage stacks see ability damage in the DMG. Give it to your sneak attackers.
    Ki Focus (DMG, srd)  Melee :Umm, YEAH! If you are a monk, then you need a weapon like this. Get one that can bypass each of the DR that your fists can not. Then layeth downeth the smack. 
    Lucky (SRD ) :A nice ability. Probably only worth Smile but I bumped it 'cause I'm a sucker for the do-over aspect. 
    Martial discipline weapon (BoNS ) :For a plus one bonus and the cost of one pretty good feat assuming you don't get stances from your class you get a plus 3 to hit. Not too shabby.
    Power Storing (SRD) :This is spell storing for psionics, with the added bonus of manefesting as a swift action. Good stuff.
    Sacred (LMo, p77  ) :Another sweet bonus if you are fighting undead regularly. Ignore this one otherwise.   
    Shattermantle (CoS, 146) :Great synergy between fighters and spellcasters here.
    Smoking (LoD, p180) :For all intents this is a nerf for improved grapple. Give this ability to your spellcaster's primary weapon. 
    Spell storing (DMG, srd) :A personal fave of mine. Put it on a front line fighter's weapons, and fill it with all kinds of nasty touch spells. It's like your mage being there without all the hitting and pain and the like.
    Spellstrike (CoS, p146) :Another winner. Better still, it does not state this has to be wielded to be used. See your DM before spending your cash! 
    Sure Striking (PGtF, p120) :A weapon that autoaligns depending on who you are fighting. For a +1 ability, this is pretty sweet. 
    Viper (SK, p152)  Blades and Whips :Viper poison is nasty. This ability on a scourge gets outrageous pretty fast.
    [/spoiler]
  • :) [spoiler]Aquatic (Sw, p129) :Very campaign specific, but if you are gonna be in the ocean, you must consider this one. See also Waterborn
    Binding (MIC, p29) :This is very situation however it could be very good on a spare weapon.
    Blessed (MIC, 29 BoED , p113) :Another solid +1 ability. Bypass DR and auto confirm crits. Good times. 
    Blood Seeking (CW, 134 ) Ranged :Ignores cover, which can be invaluable to your second line snipers, and tapped out spellcasters. But it only works on certain monster types. 
    Corrosive (CoS, p146; DMGII, p256; Sw p129) :Other than sonic, this is probably the best choice for an energy dealing weapon. Nlike sonic, the damage isn't nerfed.
    Diseased (UE, p54) :For a +1 ability this is fairly nasty. It doesn't require a crit good, the fort save is low bad, it does ability damage good to 2 scores good, that doesn't stack bad. This is worse in the hands of a BBEG, 'cause a disease is the gift that keeps on giving to PCs. Most NPCs facing adventures are SO not worried about getting a disease. 
    Dislocator (MIC, p32) :The change in MIC makes this much more reasonable. Put this ability on your missile weapons!
    Distance (DMG, srd ) Ranged :Nice ability to keep your spell casters WAY out of combat. 
    Doom Burst (MH, p40) :Requires a critical, but no additional saving throw. It can affect the uncritable critters, but shaken is an OK condition. 
    Fiercebane (MIC, p35) :(Synergy) Solid, especially if you know what critters you will be facing regularly.
    Impaling (MIC, p37) Piercing Melee :Makes a good holdout weapon for low BAB classes. Mix in other things like knockback to keep the burly fighter types away.
    Knockback (MIC, p38) :Nerfed slightly in the MIC, but the cost was lowered as well. Still fun for missile users of for folks with reach.
    Maiming (MH, p40) :like it, but I am a gambler. Look at it this way, 50% of the time your crits are better vs. 25-37.5% of the time they are worse. In the long run you are better off. 
    Merciful (DMG, srd ) ::It's a free +1d6 that bypasses all energy resistances. This is good. So what if it's non-leathal; Unconcious + 1 round == Dead in D&D. 
    Mighty Smiting (MIC, p39)Morphing (Ud, p69) :Another ability to allow a fighter to get through a type of DR. Use with other DR nerfing abilities.
    Psychokinetic (Srd) ::Like sonic, this enhancement does unresistable damage, but also like sonic it only does an extra d4.
    Psychokinetic Burst (MIC, p41) :(Synergy) Same as Sonic burst 'cept for the flavoring.
    Revealing (MIC, p42) :Pretty good, as it nerfs invisibility, and gives extra attacks. Scales pretty well too.
    Rusting (SS, p54) :Another fun one. DMs will especially like this one. Very good in martial campaigns, and OK to poor otherwise, it still is a doozie for the DM to use. Just don't do this sort of thing too often. 
    Sacred Burst (MIC, p42) :(Synergy) Only good for undead campaigns. Otherwise skip it.
    Seeking (DMG, srd) Ranged :Not bad to ignore all miss chances for a +1 bonus. Helps when firing into melee. I think this beats ghost touch too. It doesn't totally eliminate the incorporeal miss chance, but it can be beneficial in many more situations.
    Sizing (Ud, p69; CV p127) :This is pretty much for a polymorphing spellcaster, and it is nice for them.
    Slow Burst (MH, p41) :A nice effect, but we still have the Crit + Save problem. It does affect the uncritables though. 
    Sonic (MH, p41) :Sonic damage is always good, shame this only does d4, but you will use this one long after you ditch your flaming sword. 
    Soulbound Weapon, Lesser (MoI ) :If you use Incarnum, pick this one up - It gives you extra bonuses to hit and you can add certain special effect, making it flexable and powerful, albiet campaign specific.
    Souldrinking (MIC, p44) :(Synergy) Temp hit points are nice. I can see the Death Knight using this to good effect.
    Stygian (MIC, p44) :Negative levels are nice, but it limits the number of uses per day. So average ability.
    Teleporting (DMG, srd) :Slightly better than returning, as it doesn't need a line of sight to get back to the wielder. 
    Thundering (DMG, srd) :A very nice ability. Combine it with blessed for auto confirmed crits on evil critters. On a crit 1d8 or more! of an energy type that few can resist, plus potential deafening.
    Wounding (SRD) :I am of two minds on this one. In some cases it is awesome, but in others it is worse than useless. Think of the campaign you are in, and pick this accordingly.
    [/spoiler]
  • :( [spoiler]Bloodfeeding (MIC, p29) Melee :This adds a little less than 2 average damage. It can be good for some burst damage though.
    Bloodthirsty (Ud, p68) :Not too impressive. The requirement to get the +2 to hit and damage bonus is pretty onerous. Great ability for DM's though.
    Brash (MIC, p30) Melee :Barbarians's rages can last for a pretty long time. However if you find that you are falling out of your rage then you might want to get this.
    Dislocator, Great (MIC, p33) :(Synergy) The DC may increase, but not enough, and the extra 30 ft is nice. I can see this being used well on a set vs. charges weapon. 
    Dragondoom (MIC, p33) Melee :Rent this weapon when you go dragon slaying (large dragons only), otherwise don't bother. 
    Exhausting (SS, p54) :Weak effect and requires a low save
    Frost (DMG, srd) :Better than flaming but will still be commonly resisted.
    Ghost Strike (MIC, p35) :(Synergy) So very cool to have when you need, but like Ghost Touch, you so seldom need it.
    Harmonizing (CoS, 146) :OK for a bard, but most of the time combat doesn't last that long for this to be of any great benefit.
    Homeland Champion (CoV, 60) :You need to stay in one country to keep the bonus. :lol if you can keep it.
    Impact (MIC, p37) :See Keen
    Incorporeal Binding (MIC, p38) :(Synergy) MIC nerfed this one, making it just not worth the cost.
    Keen (DMG, srd) :This ability can be gotten through feats, other magical items, and spells.
    Last Resort (CW, 135) :Very situation except in grapple builds.
    Mighty Cleaving (SRD) :This is much better at lower levels. Once you get up against the big HP baddies, you will seldom need a second cleave in a round. Still, its always fun when your fighter gets to go to Cleveland
    Mindfeeder (MIC, p39) :Another thematically cool ability, but really only useful if you can use psionics AND be pretty good at swinging a sword (and I think we all know who that might be!). If so then make this one a :)
    Returning (DMG, srd)  Ranged :A very situational and useful property that can be gotten at a low cost from a weapon crystal.
    Shielding (MIC, p43) Light Melee :Cool, but ultimately not too good power. Just use a buckler!
    Shock (DMG, srd ) :Better than flaming but will still be commonly resisted.
    Stunning (MIC, p44) :(Synergy) Middle to low DC and a critical is bleh. On the other hand, stunned is a nice condition. It leaves 'em open to the rogues.
    Venomous (MIC, p45) :Only 3 times per day with an absurdly low DC. Not too good.
    Waterborn (ECS, p266) :Very situational, however good in an aquatic campaign.
    [/spoiler]
  • :twitch [spoiler]Acidic Burst (MIC, p28) :The elemental burst series is not very good. Unless you manipulate your weapon to have a high crit range and high crit multiplier don't get this.
    Arcane Might (MIC, p28) Bows :This will almost always be worse than using the consumed spell. The bonus just isn't big enough.
    Chargebreaker (MIC, p31) Melee :It's situational and requires a save.
    Dissipater (SRD ) :Too situational
    Doomstrike (CoR, p42) :Destroying weapons is bad.
    Dragonhunter (MIC, p33)  Ranged  :Too situational
    Drowcraft (Ud, p68) :Destroying weapons is bad
    Fear Burst (MH, p40) :Minor effect that requires a crit and allows a save.
    Flaming (SRD) :Too many creatures have fire resistance.
    Ghost touch (SRD) :Can be gotten with a weapon crystal or a spell.
    Profane (MIC, p40) :Horrible unless you are undead :clap for undead
    Profane Burst (MIC, p40) :Horrible unless you are undead clap for undead
    Resounding (MIC, p42) Melee :Too small of a bonus
    Sacrificial Smiting (CoV, p60 ) :Negative levels are bad
    Sundering (MIC, p44) :Destroying weapons is bad
    Throwing (SRD) :Why? Any Fighter worth his salt has quick draw. Heck if you have a +1 BAB, you can draw a new weapon with a move. So just draw the weapon you need. Forget about this one.
    Throwing (SRD) :Can be gotten with a weapon crystal. You can also draw another weapon.
    Vicious (SRD) :Weapons damaging their wielder are bad
    [/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
+2 Abilities [spoiler]
  • :lol [spoiler]Air Elemental Power Huge (DMGII, p254) :Top notch. I especially like these as they give the fighter some flexibility beyond 5ft step, kill, kill, CLEAVE, repeat. This ability will scale through all levels just not necessarily in combat.
    Earth Elemental Power Huge (DMGII, p256) :See Air Elemental Power. 
    Fire Elemental Power Huge (DMGII, p257) :See Air Elemental Power.
    Holy (DMG, srd) :One of my faves in the +2 category. Yes it doesn't affect neutral or good characters, but think about how many times you actually fight those folks in a typical campaign. Plus, it bypasses DR, and does a flat out +2d6 damage. Nice! If you are in an evil campaign, or are a DM see Unholy.
    Transmuting (MIC, p45) :Very cool power. I love the flexibility it gives you.
    Unholy (DMG, srd) :See holy for details.
    Water Elemental Power Huge (DMGII, p261) :See Air Elemental Power.
    [/spoiler]
  • :clap [spoiler]Banishing (MIC, p28) :So much better in the MIC. It is now useful to the epic levels, and almost EVERY campaign ends up fighting hordes of extra-planars. 
    Blurstrike (MIC, p29 ) :Man. If you have any sneak attack abilities, this one is a no brainer.
    Energy Aura (MIC, p34) :The flexibility costs you, but not much. I like this one, mainly because you are not stuck if you run into a creature that is immune to your energy type. 
    Enervating (MIC, p34) :Enervation is a great way to take down some big nasties, but it buffs undead, and it requires a crit to work no save, thank goodness. DMs consider giving your Necromancer an merciful enervating weapon. Blows from that weapon will heal his undead minions. MIC made it better by lowering the cost. 
    Fleshgrinding (MIC, p35) :Solid ability, and it gets an extra star for coolness. Note this ability does not make your sword dance like Brittany
    Force (MIC, p35) Ranged :This is a great power, since DR makes many ranged weapons useless at higher levels. 
    Metalline (Ud, p69) :Many have claimed this is the best Special Ability in the game. You can follow the debate here . Still a very good one no matter how you slice it. This makes weapon specialization a viable option for a fighter.
    Parrying (MIC, p40) :Very nice. Insight bonuses are hard to come by.
    Skillful (CA, p144) :You can't beat this if you are a slow progression BAB class. Use it on a ranged weapon, please! 
    Subjugating (HoB, p130) :This weapon really shines when used in conjunction with other fear effects. If you are not using other fear effects then don't bother with this.
    Vampiric (UE, p55) :This one is a doozie. In the hands of a fighter, you can really rack up the extra HP - thats means you will need less healing, and can last longer in a fight.
    [/spoiler]
  • :) [spoiler]Anarchic (SRD ) :All the Law/Chaos special abilities are a little more campaign specific,
    Axiomatic (SRD) :See Anarchic
    Collision (MIC, p31) :An extra 5 pts of damage is always nice, but means less as you level up.
    Consumptive (MIC, p31) :Fun power, and cool thematically, plus it does extra damage to the living. Great for DMs as well. 
    Disruption (SRD) Bludgeoning  :A must have for undead campaigns. If the DC seems low, remember that that is a save for each successful hit. And a fighter eventually is hitting on almost every full attack bonus swing. Even on a roll of 1 failing the save that may be only 4 rounds before the undead thingie goes pop. 
    Domineering (MIC, p33) :Medium DC and its will, so its good against most of the heavy hitters. Shaken however is merely an OK condition. 
    Doom Burst (MIC, p33) :Requires a critical, but no additional saving throw. It can affect the uncritable critters, but shaken is an OK condition. 
    Illithidwrought (Ud, p69 ) :Gives an small insight bonus to attacks and damage, which is hard to find.
    Impedance (MIC, p37 )Paralyzing (MIC, p39)Psychic (MIC, p41) :Expensive, but it can be worth it. Ya gotta be psionic, but it will scale with you in levels, and I like that.
    Shocking burst (SRD) :Better than flaming or Icy. Still not that great.
    Sonic Burst (MH, p41) :After further review we have decided to reverse our earlier call. 1st down sonic burst. for those of you who aren't from the US; this means that sonic burst is better than I initially thought, but still only average. 
    Soulbound, Greater (MIC, p43) :Synergy - See soulbound
    Suppression (SRD) :If you are psionic grab this one. It is a free dispel magic / psionics with each hit. It would rate better if it weren't campaign specific.
    Valorous (UE, p54) :Another fun one. It is useful for specific characters, but it is VERY useful for them. Stacks with other charging feats and weapons. 
    Weakening (MIC, p46) :This one is great for a front line fighter. No crit, no save and it does ability damage. Yeah, this is a keeper! 
    [/spoiler]
  • :( [spoiler]Aquan (MIC, p28) :Neat, but at +2 it is a little too specific for what you get.
    Auran (MIC, p28) :Very limited in scope. Extra damage to earth subtypes? Wha?
    Burning (ECS, p266) :Meh - fire damage. But you can set them on fire! With a DC of 11 - oh wel
    Deflecting (CW, p134) :OK, but only pick it up if you have a decent reflex save.
    Disarming (MIC, p32) Melee  :Eliminates penalties that don't come into play as often as the +2 bonus warrants. 
    Exit Wound (CW, p134)  Ranged :Honestly, how often are all your foes lined up in a straight line for you. And then you'd have to be very lucky if it damaged the third rank. Give it props for looking cool though. 
    Explosive (CW, p134) Melee :I don't like weapons that hurt me. Pass on this one unless you have a way to resist the hurty explosion. 
    Flaming burst (SRD) :Try not to pick this energy type. But if you do, put it on a weapon that has a high critical multiplier. That way at least some fire damage may get through
    Icy burst  (SRD ) :Better than Flaming, but only slightly so.
    Ignan  (MIC, p36) :Way, way, way too specific for the cost.
    Illusion Theft (MIC, p37) :Synergy - In specific campaigns this may be worth the extra +2 bonus, but there are better ways to spend your gold. 
    Mindcrusher  (MIC, p39) :Even in a psionics heavy campaign this is too specialized for a +2 ability. If it was all psionics all the time this might rate : The changes in MIC allow non-psionics to be affected, so this is better, but still it only does 1 pt Wis damage.
    Psibane (MIC, p41) :Very nice, but again, it suffers from being too campaign specific. If you are gonna be facing lots of 'mind stabby' critters you gotta have this one, else it just isn't worth it.
    Ravenous (CoR, p42) :Evil Characters Only. Not nearly as good as Unholy, but it costs the same. Ravenous has the same restrictions, plus it only works for people with iterative attacks. Still pretty nice, but unless you want a flashy effect, stick Unholy on your weapon and be done with it.
    Terran (MIC, p45) :See Ignan
    [/spoiler]
  • :twitch [spoiler]Paralytic Burst (MH, p40) :Crit + save medium Will + 1 round of effect. Bleeech
    [/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
+3 Abilities [spoiler]
  • :lol [spoiler]Cursespewing (MIC, p31) :Oooof. Expensive, but NASTY. Couple this with keen, and when you crit it is like an instant 4 negative levels.
    Necrotic Focus (MIC, p39) Melee :If you have an ability/energy drain ability TAKE THIS. If you do not then don't.
    [/spoiler]
  • :clap [spoiler]Air Elemental Power Greater (DMGII, p254) :See other entries in the +1 and +2 categories, but note that this losses some attractiveness at the higher end.
    Earth Elemental Power Greater (DMGII, p256) :See Air Elemental Power
    Explosive (CW, p134  Ranged) :Unlike the melee version this one is much more fun. Shoot it into crowds for added excitement. 
    Finesse (ECS, p266) :Expensive, but you are getting a free feat here. Feats are HARD to come by, so if you are in the market this is a great ability.
    Fire Elemental Power Greater (DMGII, p257) :See Air Elemental Power.
    Implacable (MIC, p37) :Ouch. Very sweet power, and worth the cost. The cumulative effect is uber-nasty. Only, what a pain to keep up with all that extra bleeding damage.
    Roaring (BoED, p114) :High DC on the will save and no crit needed coupled with extra sonic! damage on a crit makes this a sweet special ability.
    Speed (SRD) :An extra attack at your full bonus is always nice.
    Splitting (CoR, p42) Ranged :I really like this enchantment, but there are some restrictions like you have to have precise shot. Still two arrows for the price of one? Sign me up.
    Water Elemental Power Greater (DMGII, p261) :See Air Elemental Power.
    [/spoiler]
  • :) [spoiler]Clouting (CA, p143) :No crit needed here, and while the DC for the save is low, you can use it to get that rogue out of your face. 
    Dissmisser (UE, p54) :While this ability does not affect all creatures, the list is pretty broad. It requires only a Will save, but the DC drops the larger the HD of the victim. 
    [/spoiler]
  • :( [spoiler]Bodyfeeder (MIC, p30) :Thematically Cool, but the extra HP don't stack with anything. Still it may save your butt! 
    Duststorm (Sst, p131) Melee :The spell is nice, but with a fixed caster level and low damage, it is basically a battlefield control spell. Which is not so great for a +3 ability that takes a full round action to summon.
    Ethereal Reaver (MIC, p34) :Not worth the high cost, even if you are a ghost hunter. Certainly not worth it if you are not! 
    Stalactite (Ud, p69) :Meh. Turning your opponent to stone is fun and all, but it requires a crit AND a fort save.
    [/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
+4 Abilities [spoiler]
  • :clap [spoiler]Air Elemental Power Elder (DMGII, p254) :See other entries in the +1 and +2 categories, but note that this losses some attractiveness at the higher end.
    Earth Elemental Power Elder (DMGII, p256) :See Air Elemental Power.
    Fire Elemental Power Elder (DMGII, p257 ) :See Air Elemental Power
    Water Elemental Power Elder (DMGII, p261) :See Air Elemental Power.
    [/spoiler]
  • :) [spoiler]Brilliant Energy (SRD) :This one varies wildly based on the campaign; :lol in a martial / wartime themed campaign ; in an undead or construct campaign :twitch.
    Dancing (SRD) :Very nice - equivalent to a haste spell, plus you can add +5 more specially abilities to your arsenal. 
    [/spoiler]
  • :( [spoiler]Righteous (BoED, p114) :Stinky - just +2 to attack and damage and detect evil - Wheeee for a +4 special ability. Mitigated somewhat by the bonus type unnamed, but it only affect very naughty creatures. 
    Tentacle (Ud, p69) :Like Vorpal swords, by the time you can afford this weapon, it is not very likely to come into play that often The DC is ridiculously low. Plus, ewwwww.
    [/spoiler]
  • :twitch [spoiler]Keeper's Fang (ECS, p266) :Melee :Practically useless to PCs. Not much better for DM, unless he really wants to ruin a player's day. Not fun and very costly.
    [/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
+5 Abilities [spoiler]
  • :) [spoiler]Coup de Grace (SRD) :If it wern't so costly, this would be a must have. As it is, it affect most creatures, is not limited per day, and has a high DC on its ability. Worth considering.
    [/spoiler]
  • :( [spoiler]Vorpal (DMG: srd) :Meh - A cool effect, but it will only come into play about once every 30 hits or so. In effect this insta-kill works out to roughly 1 or 2 hit points per attack at CR of 16 assuming the beastie is at 1/2 hp already. And it doesn't work on about 1/3 of all the creatures. Well technically, it still beheads the lich, but its only an inconvenience to it. This makes it WAY too expensive for what you get.
    [/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
Priced Abilities [spoiler]
  • :lol [spoiler]Changeling (MIC, p31) 2000 gold Spear :If you use a spear, then you must have this awesome enchantment. 
    Doomwarding (PGtF, p120 ) 38,500 gold :Worth every penny, as the chance to reroll saving throws, statistically speaking, is often better than a +5 item
    Spellblade (PGtF, p120) 6,000 gold :Are you kidding me. Best ability evah. How much is a ring of counterspells?
    [/spoiler]
  • :clap [spoiler]Hideaway (MIC, p36) 2000 gold :Changed significantly in the MIC, this is still cool, but more limited in usefulness to sneaky types now.
    Sudden Stunning (DMGII, p261) 2,000 gold Melee :Another solid ability, that is VERY cheap, and handy in a pinch, with a DC that scales.
    [/spoiler]
  • :) [spoiler]Aquatic (MIC, p28) 2,000 gold :Very campaign specific, but if you are gonna be in the ocean, you must consider this one. See also Waterborn - Note: the MIC made this better by giving it a fixed gp price
    Everbright (MIC, p34) 2000 gold :This enchantment is worth it's price for giving the weapon immunity to acid and rusting effects. The blinding effect is worthless. 
    Finder (Ud, p69) 4,800 gold :If you are in an underground campaign, this one is a nice ability.
    Prismatic Burst (MH, p41 ) 30,000 gold :Despite the standard Crit and save combo, this enhancement gets props for being fun. Plus even a failed save still can hurt with this one.
    Shadowstrike (MIC, p43) 5,000 gold :Nerfed by the MIC, this is now more of a rogue only item, but its not too costly. 
    Sizing (MIC, p43) 5,000 gold :This is pretty much for a polymorphing spellcaster, and it is nice for them. 
    [/spoiler]
  • :( [spoiler]Illuminating (MIC, p36)  500 gold :Oh look, it glows! Pretty. On a completely unrelated note, how do all those monsters keep finding us? 
    Manifester (SRD) 12,000 gold :A few extra power points do not warrant this cost. Plus you have to use them on the same power. It can help in going nova, but after that its done for the day.
    Slow Burst (MIC, p43) 5,000 gold :A nice, cheap effect that requires a crit and a save. It could be nice on a build with a high crit and attack rate.
    [/spoiler]
  • :twitch [spoiler]Vanishing (MIC, p45) 8,000 gold :Hey, its cleave with a 60ft step. What fun! Shame its only once per day. 
    [/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
Alloys[spoiler]
  • :lol [spoiler]Oerthblood (Dragon 351 p45) 6,000 gold :This is a fantastic weapon modification. The attack bonus is small but the on hit debuff is amazing.
    [/spoiler]
  • :( [spoiler]Pure Ore (Dragon 347 p47) 400/lb gold :The enhancement is inexpensive but doesn't do much either. It's worth it if your weapon is getting damaged but that really shouldn't be happening.
    [/spoiler]
[/spoiler]Materials[spoiler]
  • :lol [spoiler]Adamantine (SRD) Metal :The iconic super metal. It's fantastic if you want your weapons to be able to harm objects.
    Aurorum (BoED, 38) 4000 gold :This is either one of the best materials or one of the useless. If you fight creatures who sunder your weapons then get this.
    [/spoiler]
  • :) [spoiler]Darkwood (SRD) 2x gold Wooden :There are a number of spells and abilities which only effect metal items. It's a bit pricy but this avoids that.
    Frystalline (BoED, 38) 2000 gold :This is rather situational material but great if you regularly fight creatures with DR/good
    Serren (BoED, 38) 4000 gold Bow/Arrow/Bolt :Another situational material which is either amazing or useless.
    [/spoiler]
  • :( [spoiler]Abyssal Bloodiron (PH, 69) 10,000 gold :The big brother of cold iron. It's pretty pricy but it does grant a good bonus.
    Gehennan Morghuth-Iron (A&E 14) 4000 gold :This is certainly an interesting tradeoff. However it really isn't worth the cost.
    [/spoiler]
  • :twitch [spoiler]Baatorian Green Steel (A&E 14) 2000 gold Piercing/Slashing :Useless unless you are in an antimagic field. Even then it's not worth the cost.
    Blue Ice (FB, 80) 500 or 400/lb gold Slashing or Iron :It doesn't offer anything special to weapons.
    Iron, Cold (SRD) 2x gold Metal :This is a very situational. Get it if you think you will need it to pass DR otherwise ignore it.
    Mithral (SRD) 500/lb gold Metal :Mithral doesn't do anything for weapons.
    Rimfore Ice (FB, 80) 750 gold Wood :The damage bonus is great but there is too great a risk of it vanishing out of your hands in a puff of steam. It can be good in certain campaigns though.
    Silver (SRD) 20-280 gold Steel :Like cold iron it's useful if you are facing creatures with DR against it and useless otherwise.
    Solarian Truesteel (BoED, 38 A&E 12) 1000 gold :It's a very small and situational bonus that also costs a lot.
    [/spoiler]
[/spoiler]Modifications[spoiler]
  • :lol [spoiler]Long Range (Dragon 358 p42) 100 gold Bow :+20 feet range increment
    Razor Sharp (Dragon 358 p42) 1,000 gold Slashing :While this definetly wouldn't be something to pick up at level 2 it starts to be pretty cheap later on.
    Serrated (Dragon 358 p43) 600 gold Piercing/Slashing :Up to 4 damage per attack for 600g is pretty good.
    [/spoiler]
  • :clap [spoiler]Acid Washed (Dragon 358 p39) 100 gold :+4 saves vs. acid, rust, & disintegration
    Basket Hilt (Dragon 358 p39) 50 gold Sword :+4 to resist disarm
    Blood Groove (Dragon 358 p39) 100 gold Sword :-20% weight, +2 hardness
    [/spoiler]
  • :) [spoiler]Enhanced Bracing (Dragon 358 p40) 100 gold Spear/Polearm  :+2 damage when set against charge
    Ornate (Dragon 358 p42) 400 gold :2 diplomacy or intimidate
    [/spoiler]
  • :( [spoiler]Deceptive (Dragon 358 p40) 800 gold :+4 sleight of hand to disguise weapon
    Folded Metal (Dragon 358 p40) 200 gold Metal :+4 hardness
    Perfect Balance (Dragon 358 p42) 100 gold Melee :+1 AC with total defense
    Resilient (Dragon 358 p42) 200 gold :+5 HP
    [/spoiler]
[/spoiler]Crystals[spoiler]
  • :lol [spoiler]Crystal of Return (MIC, p65) 300 - 4000 gold :The first tier provides a feat. The second and third tier are the cheapest way for a thrower to get returning.
    [/spoiler]
  • :clap [spoiler]Crystal of Energy Assault (MIC, p64) 600 - 6000 gold :Why would these rate better than the weapon special abilities? Mainly because of the flexibility. You can afford to keep two in your pocket, and attach them as needed. Now something that was once an inherent part of your weapon is much more flexible.
    Demolition Crystal (MIC, p65) 1,000 - 6000 gold :The first two tiers provide good situational advantages. The last tier is mandatory for a rogue who fights constructs.
    Fiendslayer Crystal (MIC, p65) 1,000-5000 gold :Extra damage is always good, especially when it's against a common enemy type.  The second tier isn't that much of a bonus but the third tier is great if you are frustrated by teleporting fiends.
    [/spoiler]
  • :) [spoiler]Revelation Crystal (MIC, p66) 400 - 5,000 gold :A wonderful example of what these crystals should be used for. Not ever creature you fight will be invisible, so why add a permanent ability to your weapon? On the other hand, when you do fight invisible baddies it's grand to have that ability for a short while.
    Truedeath Crystal (MIC, p66) 1,000 - 10,000 gold gold :The first tier is ok, the second and third are situational but invaluable if you need them.
    Witchlight Reservoir (MIC, p66) 5,000  gold :Flexibility, and such a cool theme. I like it, but it will cost you a bit, and it doesn't scale too well except maybe the wine effect.
    [/spoiler]
  • :( [spoiler]Crystal of Arcane Steel (MIC, p64) 500 - 6,000 gold :Clearly these crystals are for gishes, and not of much use to anyone else. The fact that it gives insight bonuses is a major point in its favor, but I am not so sure it is worth the price.
    Crystal of Illumination (MIC, p64) 100 - 1000 gold :The issue I have here is, what happens when you are using this in otherwise pitch blackness, and you need to use another crystal. You are hosed. So this crystal kinda flies in the face of the flexibility that these items are supposed to provide.
    Crystal of Lifedrinking (MIC, p64 ) 400 - 6000 gold :Good, but kinda on the low side of the healing available vs. cost given character wealth. That is to say, each version is really only useful for a few levels.
    Crystal of Security (MIC, p65) 300 - 3000 gold :This is one of those things where if you run a regular risk of being disarmed, then by all means. But how many times have you been disarmed? Its not like you can look at a person and say, "Oh man he looks like he has improved disarm. Better get my crystal out!"
    [/spoiler]
  • :twitch [spoiler]Crystal of Adamant Weaponry (MIC, p64) 300 - 3,400 gold :If you are the PC you shouldn't sunder stuff! If you are the DM you are gonna tick people off if you sunder all their stuff. Why drop a load of cash on something that you may use once, and can be fixed more cheaply with a spell.
    Phoenix Ash Threat (MIC, p65) 500 - 6000 gold :Small amounts of fire damage isn't that useful. It may be worth picking up the least version early on when 1 damage means something however it will quickly be obsoleted by higher health pools and resistances.
    [/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Well, that's enough for tonight. I'll have more up later this weekend.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:06:42 PM by Daniel678 »

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2011, 02:23:44 PM »
Just wanted to let you know that this looks great, and I'm even using it for a game this weekend.  

I imagine when it's done it should get moved to Handbooks?  And, maybe someone could even add it to the Handbooks stickied directory.

P.S.:  was Sudden Stunning (DMG II) not updated to be Stunning Surge (MIC)?  I thought it was, and if so, I think I'd probably rate Stunning Surge as pretty decent under a +1 enhancement for the same reasons, though it's less attractive w/ the cost issues it can create.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 02:28:16 PM by Unbeliever »

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2011, 08:58:09 PM »
Just wanted to let you know that this looks great, and I'm even using it for a game this weekend.  

I imagine when it's done it should get moved to Handbooks?  And, maybe someone could even add it to the Handbooks stickied directory.

P.S.:  was Sudden Stunning (DMG II) not updated to be Stunning Surge (MIC)?  I thought it was, and if so, I think I'd probably rate Stunning Surge as pretty decent under a +1 enhancement for the same reasons, though it's less attractive w/ the cost issues it can create.

The description matches pretty closely, although it doesn't say one way or the other. If you do use it as a replacement, it is a noticeable downgrade. The change from +2,000gp to a +1 bonus is rough, and the duration reduction is a serious nerf. It's still a very solid power for anyone with melee-types with solid Cha (like, say, Clerics), but it's no longer an omgwtfbbq enchantment.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2011, 03:08:45 AM »
Baatorian Green Steel was updated in FC2 (page 99), and now stacks with enhancement bonuses.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2011, 03:32:45 AM »
Why is Solarian Truesteel so low?  It's great for crit fisher characters. 

And why isn't Oerthblood on the list?  A +1 luck bonus to hit and damage is amazing.  Others include Pandaemonic Silver (force fear checks) and Stiggian Ice (a Dwarvencraft Quickrazor with a Blue Ice sheath ought to work reasonably well...).

JaronK

Daniel678

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2011, 04:13:39 AM »
Baatorian Green Steel was updated in FC2 (page 99), and now stacks with enhancement bonuses.
Thank you very much for giving me the page number.

@JaronK Oerthblood is under alloys.

Unless I read something incorrectly Solarian Truesteel costs 1k for +1 to confirm criticals. Early on that's a lot to spend for small bonus that comes up every 6 attacks or so. Later on it gets to be more price effective however Abyssal Bloodiron offers +4 to confirm criticals and acts as Cold Iron for 10k. Additionally +hit bonuses are pretty easy to come by. It would probably be more effective to put the extra gold toward that since +hit bonuses apply to every to hit rolls in addition to rolls to confirm criticals. I'll bump Solarian Truesteel since you feel that it is valuable but that was my line of reasoning for putting them rather low.

This is still a work in progress. I'm still adding materials/modifications/enchantments and have a long way to go.

Also, I'm going to move it to the handbooks section after I have a better idea of how much space this will take up. I will probably make it after I hit the post limit and can't fit the entire thing on one post. Since I'm at 38k characters right now that will probably be pretty soon.

Finally, from now on I'm going to be keeping the first post updated with the most recent version.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 04:34:15 AM by Daniel678 »

Sorator

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • DnDOG - The best site for play-by-post D&D (and other RPG's).
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2011, 12:57:47 PM »
Quote from: +1 abilities, :twitch section
Throwing (SRD) :Why? Any Fighter worth his salt has quick draw. Heck if you have a +1 BAB, you can draw a new weapon with a move. So just draw the weapon you need. Forget about this one.
Throwing (SRD) :Can be gotten with a weapon crystal. You can also draw another weapon.
Just noticed this while glancing through - you either named one of those wrong, or you have two entries for the same enhancement.

Very nice! This definitely belongs in the handbook section, and it's a major improvement on the old list.  :clap

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2011, 01:21:01 PM »
There are a LOT of Metals missing, it seems.
For example, two 5 star materials:
Starmetal (CA) is Adamantine and an added 1d6 damage to Outsiders of [Extraplanar]. It costs just a bit more.
Kaorti Resin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) - x4 Crit on any kind of Slashing/Piercing weapon!

Also, from Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde:
Weapon of the Celestial Host (4K) is a +1 (Two-Handed Only) Weapon, that gives a +1 Shield Bonus, acts as a Bullseye Lantern, and goes dormant in the hands of Evil. Worth the price, at higher levels. Effectively, it's 2K for +1 Shield Bonus (on a Two-Hander, this is good), a Bullseye Lantern, and makes it unusable to enemies. It's really like Improved Buckler Defense (the feat) for 2K.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 01:28:32 PM by CantripN »
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Daniel678

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2011, 05:43:14 PM »

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2011, 05:08:49 AM »
Excellent. Now let's wear out those finger's of yours with more entries.
[/spoiler]

Tr011

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • preparing arcane spellcaster
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2011, 01:51:57 PM »
Add Displacement as Weapon/Armor priced ability (from OA). It just rocks! 50% miss chance is what you need to survive.