Author Topic: Mini Mailman Idea (Binder/Sorcerer/Fiend-Blooded/Hellfire Warlock). Help pls.  (Read 6956 times)

Volfogg

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Hi All,

I was thinking of late that a DD (no save) build would be fun. I came up with the following so far:

Race:???

binder 1/sorcerer 6/fiend-blooded sorcerer 10/hellfire warlock 3

Abilities:
  • BaB: 10
  • CL: 18 (20)
  • Saves: 8/6/15

Requirements:
  • fiendish heritage(instead of blood calls to blood) (b)

Feats
  • keeper of forbidden knowledge
  • anarchic bloodline
  • residual metamagic
  • practised caster
  • rapid metamagic
  • empower spell
  • free
  • free
  • free
  • free

I believe that the basic outline is pretty decent. With ample use of empower spell + residual metamagic + the hellfire warlock's hellfire blast and hellfire infusion ability he should be able to have a great deal of lasting power and deal a significant amount of damage with orb related spells (as well as other no save, no SR spells). I know that maximize spell is a better feat choice. The problem is that my DM is fairly new so I don't want anything to over-the-top.

I was also thinking about quicken spell but am unsure whether or not the choice is a good one. With spells such as arcane fusion and greater arcane fusion I believe it might be a wasted feat.

I also wanted to point out that keeper of forbidden knowledge is taken so that I have knowledge (planes) as a class skill. Anarchic bloodline is in there for the additional spells known. This coupled with the fiend-blooded sorceror should result in a hopefully more robust spell selection as a sorcerous character.

So, what say ye? Also, any suggestions for those last few feats (I was thinking about easy metamagic + twin spell metamagic feat as well as easy metamagic (empower spell) and possibly spell focus + metamagic school focus) as well as race would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, all books allowed. Thanks for any and all comments/help/suggestions!

Cheers
Volf

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
How are you getting Hellfire Warlock to work with anything?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Volfogg

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
How are you getting Hellfire Warlock to work with anything?
See here. Scroll down to the section marked "Adaptation".

Cheers
Volf

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
I see.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
Adaptation

As written, a hellfire warlock serves as an extension of the warlock class from Complete Arcane. If you don't use this class, you can adapt this prestige class for use with other characters. Exchange the invocations requirement with the ability to cast fireball. Instead of improving invocations known, the hellfire warlock improves the character's arcane spellcasting ability by one level per class level. Instead of gaining hellfire blast, the character can deal an extra 1d6 points of damage per class level with evocation spells that deal damage. This ability costs the character 1 point of Constitution just like the hellfire blast class feature. The character gains the fire resistance, hellfire infusion, and hellfire shield abilities as normal.
Hmmm... interesting. . .
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

rot42

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Binder so Naberius the Grinning Hound will eat your Hellfire ability damage? Sensible. The Improved Binding feat lets you enter Anima Mage with only one level of Binder (and only one level of sorcerer if you like early entry shenanigans). The skill point requirements would pretty much lock in your first level as Binder, but that is not a terrible idea if you are playing from first level and largely irrelevant if not. Anima Mage has all knowledges in class, and the second level gives you an extra spell per day. The free metamagic is of course the highlight of the class, but staying in long enough to get it would interfere with one of your other prestige classes.

Volfogg

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Binder so Naberius the Grinning Hound will eat your Hellfire ability damage? Sensible. The Improved Binding feat lets you enter Anima Mage with only one level of Binder (and only one level of sorcerer if you like early entry shenanigans). The skill point requirements would pretty much lock in your first level as Binder, but that is not a terrible idea if you are playing from first level and largely irrelevant if not. Anima Mage has all knowledges in class, and the second level gives you an extra spell per day. The free metamagic is of course the highlight of the class, but staying in long enough to get it would interfere with one of your other prestige classes.
Yup, binder FTW. :) Thats an interesting idea using the anima mage, however. Would that not eat up a few of my remaining feats? I would need precocious apprentice and improved binding (iirc).

Cheers
Volf

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
Adaptation

As written, a hellfire warlock serves as an extension of the warlock class from Complete Arcane. If you don't use this class, you can adapt this prestige class for use with other characters. Exchange the invocations requirement with the ability to cast fireball. Instead of improving invocations known, the hellfire warlock improves the character's arcane spellcasting ability by one level per class level. Instead of gaining hellfire blast, the character can deal an extra 1d6 points of damage per class level with evocation spells that deal damage. This ability costs the character 1 point of Constitution just like the hellfire blast class feature. The character gains the fire resistance, hellfire infusion, and hellfire shield abilities as normal.
Hmmm... interesting. . .

I wonder if this could be adapted to Dragonfire Adept...  Any suggestions?
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

Volfogg

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Adaptation

Hmmm... interesting. . .
I wonder if this could be adapted to Dragonfire Adept...  Any suggestions?
I would imagine that you could simply tweak it a bit and have it apply to a DFA with little effort. After all it does mention this .... "If you don't use this class, you can adapt this prestige class for use with other characters."

So, besides the obvious benefits of being able to use the hellfire warlock for other caster types, does anybody have any suggestions for the last couple of feats?

Cheers
Volf
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 01:43:09 AM by Volfogg »

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
Adaptation

Hmmm... interesting. . .
I wonder if this could be adapted to Dragonfire Adept...  Any suggestions?
I would imagine that you could simply tweak it a bit and have it apply to a DFA with little effort. After all it does mention this .... "If you don't use this class, you can adapt this prestige class for use with other characters."

So, besides the obvious benefits of being able to use the hellfire warlock for other caster types, does anybody have any suggestions for the last couple of feats?

Cheers
Volf

My main question would be what invocations from DFA would replace the Hellfire Warlock's warlock invocations.
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
I just realized that with a wizard basis, the hellfire infusion just got rather nice with it's ability to throw metamagic around while bound to Naberius even if it's a bit annoying that it's keyed off Charisma.  Even nicer for a DFA with a Deathwand Crossbow.
~Robert Heinlein

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
Deathwand crossbow?

Arms and Equipment Guide p.103. A +2 light crossbow that lets you "wield" two wands at the same time.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Volfogg

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
I was also thinking about a wand bracer (300gp) and some weapon wand chambers (100gp). Both will allow me to have a ready supply of wands when needed.

Cheers
Volf

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
Deathwand crossbow?

Arms and Equipment Guide p.103. A +2 light crossbow that lets you "wield" two wands at the same time.

Thanks for the save Shiki.
~Robert Heinlein

rot42

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Yup, binder FTW. :) Thats an interesting idea using the anima mage, however. Would that not eat up a few of my remaining feats? I would need precocious apprentice and improved binding (iirc).

Cheers
Volf

Yeah, but it saves you from Keeper of Forbidden Lore, which is more flavorful than good. Even without Anima Mage, I would buy as many Knowledge (Planes) ranks as possible from being a Binder (2+Int), and then just suck up the cross-class ranks. Probably; you are looking at 40 points of committed skill ranks before you even think about being able to make a Spot check. If you are playing with flaws then everything fits fine - take Anarchic Bloodline, Precocious Apprentice, Blood Calls to Blood, and Eschew Materials at level one (human with two flaws), then Improved Binding at three (requires you to be a Binder, so I do not see how to get this down to only one Sorcerer level). ... and then lose on the skill requirements unless you for some reason dumped a mess of points in Intelligence. ... and Eschew Materials is for some reason not a metamagic feat (does anybody know why?).

Okay, if you use the PHBII retraining rules to reform away your early entry feats and take Open Minded (XPH) ...

Meh, maybe this is not going to work after all.

brujon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Eschew materials isn't a metamagic feat because it actually doesn't alter magic you cast in any way. It doesn't modify caster level, damage dice, duration, appearance, the time to cast it... All it does is let you ignore some components, and cast the spell as if you haven't. Every other metamagic feat does one of the things i mentioned.

Volfogg

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Good news folks ... I don't have to worry about needing the eschew materials feat. Seems like the sorcerers in his world already have it as a bonus feat @ 1st level.

So, I think I am gonna go with easy metamagic (empower spell), twin spell, and easy metamagic (twin spell).

I am also going to drop keeper of forbidden knowledge. This way I will have two feat slots left. Any suggestions for the last two feats would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Volf

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
Arcane Thesis (Arcane Fusion) and Arcane Thesis (Greater Arcane Fusion)?

See here for more ideas: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7909.msg261361#msg261361

War Mage, in particular, is NICE. As is Cold Spell Specialization, if you can fit it in.

Having an Greater Arcane Thesis that does this with an 8th level slot is NICE: Twinned Empowered Stored Lightning Bolt + Twinned Empowered Wings of Flurry. That's damage equal to 120d6+3*CL*d6+600+CL*15 damage. At a sample CL = 20, that's 180d6+900 damage!

Spells you'll want, no matter what:
1st - True Casting, True Strike, Magic Missile
4th - Orb of Fire, Wings of Flurry, Ruin Delver's Fortune
5th - Arcane Fusion
7th - Radiant Assault, Stored Lightning Bolt
8th - Arcane Fusion (Greater)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 10:52:52 PM by CantripN »
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
Arcane Thesis (Arcane Fusion) and Arcane Thesis (Greater Arcane Fusion)?

See here for more ideas: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7909.msg261361#msg261361

War Mage, in particular, is NICE. As is Cold Spell Specialization, if you can fit it in.

Having an Greater Arcane Thesis that does this with an 8th level slot is NICE: Twinned Empowered Stored Lightning Bolt + Twinned Empowered Wings of Flurry. That's damage equal to 120d6+3*CL*d6+600+CL*15 damage. At a sample CL = 20, that's 180d6+900 damage!

Spells you'll want, no matter what:
1st - True Casting, True Strike, Magic Missile
2nd - Wings of Cover
4th - Orb of Fire, Wings of Flurry, Ruin Delver's Fortune
5th - Arcane Fusion
7th - Radiant Assault, Stored Lightning Bolt
8th - Arcane Fusion (Greater)

Fixed
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286