Author Topic: Optimizing Spell Points for Balance and Fun  (Read 9201 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Optimizing Spell Points for Balance and Fun
« on: August 02, 2011, 02:56:47 AM »
Spell Points turn every caster into a pseudo-Psion.

Prepared casters choose their loadout and can cast all spells spontaneously, so long as they have the SP.  Spontaneous casters work as before, but get SP instead of distinct slots.  Spontaneous casters also have more SP than prepared casters.

I've played in campaigns with spell points and I enjoy the flexibility, but it's also more tempting to blow SP when I don't need to think about spell slots.

Which system do you prefer?  How balanced would it be to use the Spell Point system for all casters?  How would you change things to enhance fun and balance?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
Re: Optimizing Spell Points for Balance and Fun
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 03:26:06 AM »
I've never used spell points, but it looks like prepared casters get all the good parts of being a spontaneous caster. 

Compare the spell points that would be necessary to cast a class's normal compliment of spells at level 20 to the spell points that class gets at level 20.  A wizard normally gets 4 spells of each level at level 20.  That equates to 324 spell points, but he gets 232.  A sorcerer normally gets 6 spells of each level at level 20.  That equates to 486 spell points, but he gets 249. 

Now, I don't object to the trade off between versatility and endurance.  It's just that the sorcerer's endurance gets cut back 50%, but the wizard's endurance only gets cut back 30%.  The sorcerer can already cast spontaneously.  Why does he have to pay more for this variant? 

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 03:27:47 AM »
I like to just make everyone spontaneous casters w/out making it too difficult for them to sub out their spells if they choose to. 

I think managing spell slots, deciding whether or not it's time to blow that high level one or not, is an iconic element of D&D.  I did play an all-psionics game for quite a while, and I enjoyed it, but my preference is for the slots. 

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 03:55:01 AM »
I don't necessarily mean the amount of spell points, but the notion of making everyone a point-based spontaneous caster.

I'm torn between using slots and spell points.  I've played Wizards and Psions and enjoy both systems.  Each has a different connotation.  With slots, I'm saving spells for specific purposes.  With spell points, I feel powerful so long as I have the points and don't need to think too hard about the math.  (I need enough for synchronicity, grease, a full-power astral construct, and whatever else comes up, for example.)

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 07:10:32 AM »
I like slots far more. It's much easier to keep track of what I can or can't do, when it says so. PP/SP are flexible, but also too hard to keep track of.

That said, I find myself preferring spell slots and spontaneous casting, over prepared casting, but only given a high number of spells known.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 02:24:06 PM »
I prefer spell points, but as Maat_Mons Pointed out, they do screw the sorcerer.

However, it is much easier to prepare an all-comers list when you don't have to think of duplicate spells.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

zugschef

• Curious George
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 02:39:19 PM »
a major problem with spell points is that players are mechanically encouraged to go nova and expend all their points really fast by casting/manifesting their highest level spells/powers. this increases the likeliness of the 15 minute adventuring day and it is an increase in power, since you can cast your highest level spells more often.

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
  • "Seek Perfection of Character" - Gichin Funakoshi
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 04:22:27 PM »
a major problem with spell points is that players are mechanically encouraged to go nova and expend all their points really fast by casting/manifesting their highest level spells/powers. this increases the likeliness of the 15 minute adventuring day and it is an increase in power, since you can cast your highest level spells more often.

I don't see how they are any more encouraged to nova than they would be with slots - they may have slightly better endurance with flexible SP/PP (that is, they may cast their highest level spells or manifest their highest level powers more often) - but I think it's clear that spell slots don't prevent the 15 minute adventuring day.

I'm not sure if I prefer spell points or spell slots, myself.  Spell slots are pretty ingrained in the collective psyche of D&D players (if indeed there is such a thing) but spell points are significantly more flexible and probably more fun, in the long run - though they do represent an across the board increase in the power of prepared casters (and to a lesser extent spontaneous casters) which may not be desirable in all game environments.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 07:01:54 PM »
Erudite Spell To Power is a very below average Psion, with Spell Point Wiz but 2 levels down.
The combo especially with PsyRef is Tier 1 ... minor gripes aside.

Full Caster with a 2 level lag, but Spell Point, is gonna have to be better than tier 3 level 6 casters.
PsyWar but with bigger powerpoint pool and Wiz spell list = better than PsyWar (obviously).
More PrCs too.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 09:45:32 PM »
Spell Slots: "I have X packages useful in these circumstances."
Spell Points: "I have Y ways to use my power.  BRING ON THE POWAH!"

That's how I've felt, anyway.

Speaking of which:

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 10:01:37 PM »
That's how it is, really. But IMO, that variant kind of kills the purpose of playing a Manifester, in a mechanical sense. So it (this variant) can go die in a hurricane.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 10:07:44 PM »
Slots are unique to D&D. That's what I like about them. If I want to use points I will play a manifester.
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 03:33:33 AM »
something I've thought about is .... letting all spells that are scalable to scale for free (as opposed to making you pay for extra dice for direct-damage spells).
you may or may not need to slightly adjust total manna points (don't know -- haven't delved that far in to it).
/2cp  :shrug

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

AlphaBravo

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 10:40:44 AM »
Spell/Power Points DO have a (rather serious) problem: Spell Power is (should be) geometric for rather obvious reasons. Point cost is linear. That's not good.

The thing is, at the higher levels, a single 7th level spell (13 PP) is generally more powerful then two 4th level spells (14 PP), and a fourth level spell (7 PP) is more powerful then a third and a second level spell (8 PP), while at the lower levels, when Points are limited, a 2nd level spell is rather weaker then 3 first level spell. This causes a very extreme "Quadratic Warriors, Exponential Wizards" effect - Point-based casters can generally use much higher level spells then normal casters, eliminating the "Daily Ability" restriction on higher-level spells.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 09:27:31 PM »

... that variant kind of kills the purpose of playing a Manifester, in a mechanical sense ...

True.
As the dreamscarred guys said over and over in the Psi Is Not Borkt threads,
there are all these various mechanical limitations to Psi.
Just going Spell Point without some additional balancing effects = bad.
CO good bad, but still bad.
 ;)

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 03:17:22 AM »

... that variant kind of kills the purpose of playing a Manifester, in a mechanical sense ...

True.
 ;)
okay -- so you implement a "caster focus" or whatever .... done.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 04:31:06 AM »

True.
 ;)
okay -- so you implement a "caster focus" or whatever .... done.
Dragon #351
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 05:33:30 PM »
Slots are unique to D&D. That's what I like about them. If I want to use points I will play a manifester.

Same for me. Slot/Vancian casting is the system that I associate for D&D magic. Even the fluff aspect where wizards have to memorize (aka "store them in their minds) those specific spells before they can release them; that to me is how magic works here.

That said, I think the point system can be integrated with vancian casting, but the implementation in the SRD rubs me the wrong way. Why did they turn the prepared casters into pseudo-spontaneous casters? I think the prepared casters should still have to prepare their payload and memorize each spell at the beginning of the day, with the only difference being that they have the flexibility of the point system to distribute their spells. The tradeoff for this increased flexibility is that they have a limited number of "spells known" per day as per the text.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 08:30:51 PM »
Yeah weird.
Spellpoints work as a variant Sorc, not Wiz.
Still rather overpowered.
For all the be-yotching about Vancian casting, it's still a d&d specific thing.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 08:54:35 PM »
It's not like the casters needs a power bump anyways...
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills