Author Topic: Rogue/Ninja/Chameleon Help  (Read 2179 times)

Merkwerdigeliebe

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Rogue/Ninja/Chameleon Help
« on: July 28, 2011, 10:27:47 PM »
Backstory: I'm relatively new to 3.5, I've really only played a handful of sessions. However, I feel like I have a fairly decent grasp on the rules. I was speaking to a group of my friends about observing them play in part of their epic campaign, as I have never really seen anything about level 8 or so. They agreed and offered to let me even role-play one of the side characters for the session. My understanding is he is a henchmen/cohort-esque type of character who probably isn't always around.

All I know is he is a rogue 3/ninja 3/chameleon 10 and that *he has a homebrewed feat that allows him to apply touch spells to his ranged bow attacks*. My understanding is that they are about to encounter 3 very highpowered multiclass fullcasters like Ur priest/sublime chord/etc (basically the DM likes to make super cheesy characters for the PCs to encounter). Unfortunately, I'll also be like 10 levels* (errata'd: 2 levels) under anyone else, but I'd like to remain relatively useful without getting in the way or being detrimental to the party.

I'm not entirely sure about what other feats/stats/items he has, but I imagine I will have a little bit of ability to alter them. Along with the floating chameleon feat and other chameleon abilities I have some flexibility as to how to play the character. What I'm thinking at this point is going with combat/divine foci and putting zen archery as his bonus feat along with the +6 ability score (hoping he has a decent wisdom score already, otherwise why ninja?).

I believe what I'm hoping you guys can help me with is:
A) What spells would be useful to prepare (Shouldn't be anything aside from PHB, PHB II, SC). I have access to all divine spells, however. I've been trying to find spells that have no SR, no save. So far: Splinterbolt, Spiritjaws, Evard's Black Tentacles.
B) What should my strategy be going into it? I'm afraid that even bothering to attack the super high level casters will just be meaningless. Should I focus on buffing the rest of the party? killing adds/summons? Other ideas? I was considering dust of sneezing and choking, but I doubt it'd be allowed.
C) Is this the most efficient approach to rogue/ninja/chameleon or is there something I'm overlooking?
D) Any other advice.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 03:16:47 PM by Merkwerdigeliebe »

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Rogue/Ninja/Chameleon Help
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 10:51:46 PM »
If the information you've given us is accurate, and you're literally 10 levels behind the rest of the party, then your best tactic is to Plane Shift to somewhere like Arborea or some other relatively harmless plane and hide.

Why?  If they're 10 levels above you, they're level 26.  That means they're going to be throwing around Epic spells, and trying to find some usefulness in a 6th-level-or-lower touch spell in a fight where Epic spells are getting slung around is like bringing a knife to a nuclear bomb fight.

In short, GTFO of there.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 11:39:21 PM »
If the information you've given us is accurate, and you're literally 10 levels behind the rest of the party, then your best tactic is to Plane Shift to somewhere like Arborea or some other relatively harmless plane and hide.

Why?  If they're 10 levels above you, they're level 26.  That means they're going to be throwing around Epic spells, and trying to find some usefulness in a 6th-level-or-lower touch spell in a fight where Epic spells are getting slung around is like bringing a knife to a nuclear bomb fight.

In short, GTFO of there.
Rogue 3 / Ninja 3 / Chameleon 10 is already considered to be the 6th man for a party of four level 16s and the DM wants to throw Epic Sumblime Chord / Ur-Priests at you. ...I think X-Codes's knife to a nuke fight analogy was very conservative.

Die, it will happen, start a new character and when you do start with the question: "Can I not be ten fracking levels behind the rest of the EPIC LEVEL party?"
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Merkwerdigeliebe

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 06:48:54 AM »
Heh, yeah, pretty much the same thing I was thinking (I.E. Terror). I spoke with my friend (moments ago). Apparently the party is not epic, but only 2 levels higher than I will be(originally, there was much drinking involved hence the confusion). However, most of their characters are highly optimized and have homebrewed items/other wackiness. The CR will still be relatively high, and as you said, I'm more or less the 6th wheel... Advice?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 06:56:57 AM by Merkwerdigeliebe »

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 07:06:48 AM »
party buff might not be a bad choice.  You definitely want to make the most of your "mimic class ability" as well as your spells.
with 6th level spells and an effective caster level of 20, you still have some solid options (might I suggest that you go dumpster-diving through the Spell Compendium?)

not real familiar with chameleon, so I don't think that I can be much more help.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 07:18:47 AM »
That's more like it.  Invest in something with the Force enhancement, since all the serious archery builds use that enhancement by your level.  The exact shape it takes is up to you.  Going with Zen Archery and focusing heavily on Wisdom sounds like a good idea to me, since that feat shooting touch spells through your bow seems to be your best bet.  The big thing you're likely to be firing off would be Slay Living from the Cleric list, and that saving throw is based off your Wisdom as well.

In any case, there's a Chameleon handbook around somewhere that has a spell list with the lowest level Arcane/Divine spells, and I believe with generally good spells to use as well.

nightshade

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 08:27:25 AM »
forget it, I just re-read the first post - you are already a Rogue/ninja/chameleon
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 08:32:23 AM by nightshade »

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 09:24:31 AM »
forget it, I just re-read the first post - you are already a Rogue/ninja/chameleon
I know.  Sad, isn't it?

Factotum 8/Chameleon 8 would be so much more amazing...

Merkwerdigeliebe

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 03:51:31 PM »
I know.  Sad, isn't it?

Yeah, I certainly agree. Not my first choice. I don't think I will be present for more than one or two sessions though.

Thanks for your help everyone, just wanted to see if I was on the right track. My friend recommended going arcane/divine focused instead, which seems silly to me. I guess more flexibility/lasting power, but more MAD, although I haven't seen his ability scores. I've already gone the SC for divine spells, I think I have a fairly decent list to pluck from, might go back through and pick up more buffs though.

nightshade

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 05:43:42 PM »
No your friend is right, you should take Divine and Arcane focus - the other foci are kind of bad. If you can swap some feats take Academic Priest (Int for Divine Spells) and you are good to go.

I know.  Sad, isn't it?

That would be fantastic, I agree  :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:48:12 PM by nightshade »

Merkwerdigeliebe

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
No your friend is right, you should take Divine and Arcane focus - the other foci are kind of bad. If you can swap some feats take Academic Priest (Int for Divine Spells) and you are good to go.

Yeah, I reconsidered immediately after that post. That's exactly what I need. Where do I find this feat?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 06:44:55 PM by Merkwerdigeliebe »

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 06:31:06 PM »
^DragonLance Campaign Setting Companion Legends of the Twins p.12.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)