Author Topic: Dragon Super Mount Build, Do I Have This Right?  (Read 2629 times)

Amoren

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Dragon Super Mount Build, Do I Have This Right?
« on: July 26, 2011, 06:09:46 AM »
Alright, the rules of the DMG say that a Paladin can use a flying creature as his mount, so long as it's challenge level is 4 less than his paladin level (or rather, character level, but I assume to be a special mount it must be class level).  So, assuming a build that has 19 levels of effective paladin mount (5 paladin, +10 halfling outrider, +4 something else that advances a paladin's mount), a dragon of challenge rating 15 or lower (for example, an adult bronze dragon).

Now, Devoted Tracker adds extra hit dice to this dragon, and assuming only a one level dip in Beastmaster, 10 levels in halfling Outrider, and that one feat which increases animal companion levels, that'd give +10 bonus hit dice (which, according to draconomicon, get d12 for these hit die), +10 Natural Armor adjustment, +5 str and dex.

So, in the above example of an Adult Bronze Dragon, it would have;
31d12+155 hit points, 32 Str, 15 Dex, 21 Con, 20 Int, 21 Wis, 20 Cha.
BAB 23 (or 28?), 40 AC (-2 size, +2 Dex, +30 natural), Casting as a 7th level sorcerer and SR 22.

Is this right?  Or have I made some horrible miscalculation here?

Halinn

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Dragon Super Mount Build, Do I Have This Right?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 08:15:01 AM »
Looks about right. Personally, I'd look at the more unquestionably legal Dragon Mount feat from Draconomicon.

gorfnad

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 04:04:24 PM »
Wild Plains Outrider (CAdv) will give you the 3 effective levels of Paladin mount that you need to pull that off. Your build would probably look like Paladin 6/ Beastmaster 1/ Wild Plains Outrider 3/ Halfling Outrider 10. With Devoted Tracker and Natural Bond you're looking at an effective Paladin Mount level of 19 and an effective Druid Animal Companion level of 17. So yeah your calculations would work. When I played a supermount once I went with Paladin 5/ Beastmaster 2/ Wild Plains Outrider 3/ Halfling Outrider 10 which left my build with an effective Paladin Mount level of 18 and an effect Druid AC level of 18, but in that campaign my DM did not allow me to use a Dragon for a mount.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 12:16:02 AM »
I'm pretty sure your DM has to approve those.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r