Author Topic: Understanding the Kobold++  (Read 10283 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Understanding the Kobold++
« on: July 22, 2011, 10:01:49 PM »
Intro
For Kobold Sorcerers not aspiring to be or be like Pun-Pun, there are still lots of ways to get bonus effective arcane class caster levels.  This is the latest version I found and want to know the reference material and full stats of underlined things.

Venerable Loredrake Greater Spellrite Spellhoarding White Dragonspawn Abomination Dragonwrought Kobold

-I assume the Greater Spellrite is the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage.

Questions
-What's this 'Spellhoarding' do and where's it found?
-What's this 'Abomination' do and where's it found?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 10:15:12 PM by Endarire »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
Re: Understanding the Kobold++
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 10:08:09 PM »
Spell hoarding

Dr 313 p 79

add
CR + 0
int +2
wis - 4
eschew materials
scribe scroll

exchange sorc casting for wiz casting.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Hitoshura

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 10:12:17 PM »
Spellhoarding is a Dragon Psychosis introduced in Dragon Magazine 313, it gives you a quasi-Scribe Scroll, your casting becomes intelligence-dependent, something similar to Improved Counterspell, +2 Int, -4 Wis, +5 Spellcraft and Scribe Scroll and Eschew Materials as Bonus Feats.

Since it has no LA, it's for NPCs only.

Dragonspawn Abomination is a template from Dragonlance: Bestiary of Krynn, which CAN increase your effective sorcerer Level, though it's pretty hard.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 10:15:34 PM »
How does Dragonspawn Abomination work?  What are its stats?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 10:23:13 PM »
It's like dragonspawn, but with 3 mutations generated randomly from a table, -4 int, and -4 wis.  One of the mutations is +1 effective sorcerer level, but there's only a 5% chance to get it on any given roll. 

Damien_Wilacoth

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 10:53:14 PM »
It's like dragonspawn, but with 3 mutations generated randomly from a table, -4 int, and -4 wis.  One of the mutations is +1 effective sorcerer level, but there's only a 5% chance to get it on any given roll. 

On very rare chances, the number of +1 effective sorcerer levels increases can be raised by up to 5 (IIRC), by hitting the bottom option to reroll twice more.  But, as said, it's more in the realm of TO - luck like that *can* happen - just don't count on it.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 02:37:48 AM »

On very rare chances, the number of +1 effective sorcerer levels increases can be raised by up to 5 (IIRC), by hitting the bottom option to reroll twice more.  But, as said, it's more in the realm of TO - luck like that *can* happen - just don't count on it.
Yeah, you need inhuman luck or a ton of reroll items.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Damien_Wilacoth

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 03:28:12 AM »

Are there even any items/abilities that can allow the rerolling of percentage tiles?

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 11:35:58 AM »
Spellhoarding is a Dragon Psychosis introduced in Dragon Magazine 313, it gives you a quasi-Scribe Scroll, your casting becomes intelligence-dependent, something similar to Improved Counterspell, +2 Int, -4 Wis, +5 Spellcraft and Scribe Scroll and Eschew Materials as Bonus Feats.

Templates with an LA of - are NPC only, templates without an LA entry at all have no such restriction as far as I know.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 01:15:26 PM »

Are there even any items/abilities that can allow the rerolling of percentage tiles?
We had some debate last time this came up.

There is some item that gives you a reroll as if using the Luck Domain by expending it. Which met haxxors nos, i r luck is 1/day vs using a magic item that casts X spell as Y don't deplete Y's spell slots, just the charges or w/e on the item. Anyway, they are really cheap and Abomination is automatically inherited upon obtaining Dragonspawn which can in fact be obtain past the 1st level. Stock pile the crap out of those items and force rerolls on every non-roll-twice and non-spellcasting outcome. The whole thing is kinda TO though, but one for the record books none the less.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Lo77o

• Guns dont kill people, apes with guns kills people
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 01:46:59 PM »

Templates with an LA of - are NPC only, templates without an LA entry at all have no such restriction as far as I know.

Or the LA is so high it will make you epic. Hence the no LA on most MM monsters, such as Dragons after a few age categories.
"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions." - Braids, Cabal Minion

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 03:38:52 PM »
Also, I think technically draconic psychosises aren't actually templates per se.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 04:05:41 PM »
"[...]Each of
these disorders is presented as a tem-
plate
. In addition to the usual template
information[...]"

"[...]DMs who find these templates useful[...]"

"Psychosis Severity
Each template presented in this
article[...]"

So, they are templates. But the thing that might not go in the favors of the cheesewrought kobold is the fact that the entire issue (Dr#313) has, while 3.5, some 3.0 wordings and things. Like that Mind Mage's Force Touch. Concussion, detonation, greater concussion, lesser concussion, mass concussion, true concussion? Etc. IIRR, Level Adjustment wasn't introduced into 3.0 till near its end, and templates worked of increases of the Challenge Rating. So.. uh, w/e.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 04:31:53 PM »
I wonder if the "psychosis" can be acquired ... like an acquired template.

In other places, psychosis and/or similar psuedo-psychology terms,
(but not these specific psychosis's) are presented as an in-game effect, not an at-creation effect.

???

Lo77o

• Guns dont kill people, apes with guns kills people
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 04:46:19 PM »
I wonder if the "psychosis" can be acquired ... like an acquired template.

In other places, psychosis and/or similar psuedo-psychology terms,
(but not these specific psychosis's) are presented as an in-game effect, not an at-creation effect.

???

They are all mental disorders with cures... So one would assume they are acquired.
"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions." - Braids, Cabal Minion

Aharon

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 09:27:38 PM »
The article in Dr 313 clearly states that getting (and curing) the disorder might happen off-screen, so before/during character creation is ok if the DM allows it.

Intent is absolutely obvious anyway, it is from November 2003, when kobolds weren't dragons yet, and the article doesn't make any mention at all of a player character contracting the disorder.
By clicking this link, you open a pop-up, but I get a eurocent for my current wish, the 5th book of the Wheel of Time series. Please note that this only works if you leave the pop-up opened till it has finished loading. Thank you!