Author Topic: Adjusting high LA on a template for a PC? Savage Species separation???  (Read 3631 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 02:52:02 PM by kevin_video »
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: Adjusting high LA on a template for a PC?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 02:53:28 PM »
That does not seem unreasonable for cr+2. Compare it to phrenic from xph and they seem to be roughly equivalent, and that is a good +2 la template.

Shinzen

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 03:35:42 PM »
ECL +3 would probably be fine for that, you could easily get all those bonuses from 2 levels of spells. And keep the hit dice.

I made a modified Vampire template a while ago that attempted to fix the problems with the +8 LA one, mainly that it was OH EXPLOITABLE! by any player with a brain and a pulse. Create Spawn and Dominate at will do not balance make. My modified one is ECL +3 and seems to function fairly well.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 04:07:01 PM »
My advice is to break the abilities up into three parts, and have him take a type-specific hit die to upgrade each time.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 07:41:16 PM »
My advice is to break the abilities up into three parts, and have him take a type-specific hit die to upgrade each time.
This is what I'd say to do. Make it a racial class, one he has to take at, say, 1st, 4th, and 7th (or something), and have each one give him a part of the racial abilities (suitable to that level of the game). Then he'll have abilities on par with what he should be getting without castrating him.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 08:03:44 PM »
This is what I'd say to do. Make it a racial class, one he has to take at, say, 1st, 4th, and 7th (or something), and have each one give him a part of the racial abilities (suitable to that level of the game). Then he'll have abilities on par with what he should be getting without castrating him.
Greater teleport at will at 7th level seems a bit much.  I'd say 1st, 6th and 12th or so. 
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 08:20:55 PM »
Actually, why not just break the template down into it's wealth equivalent and treat it as a rather extensive graft?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 08:29:44 PM »
Actually, why not just break the template down into it's wealth equivalent and treat it as a rather extensive graft?
I have no idea how expensive that would become.

Since you basically become an air elemental and everything is lightning based, I guess I could add d8 HD to this and some skills/points for three levels. Maybe the save bonus as well. Would that be a good idea? I'll have to look up the air elemental for skills. She's already 1st level so maybe 2nd, 6th, and 12th?

If you want to see the exact template, it's here http://www.pathfindersrd.com/extras/collaborators/work-area/bestiary-candidates/advanced-bestiary-templates/advanced-bestiary-8?tmpl=%2Fsystem%2Fapp%2Ftemplates%2Fprint%2F
Just Cntl + F "Thunder Child".

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 04:00:44 AM »
I was almost thinking of just making her take them when she would normally buy them off, but yeah I'll just give her parts of it here and there.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 04:02:22 AM »
I was almost thinking of just making her take them when she would normally buy them off, but yeah I'll just give her parts of it here and there.
The first would be level 18.

Maybe you can consider it a gestalt thing? Come up with a racial progression and gestalt it with a regular class.

Wouldn't be so bad if everyone else got something similar.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 04:03:30 AM »
The first would be level 18.
Unless I went with the suggestion of making it ECL +3 and no HD. Then it'd be at 9.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 04:04:20 AM »
I edited my previous comment before you posted, FYI.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 04:06:31 AM »
I edited my previous comment before you posted, FYI.
See that.

No gestalting for this campaign. Most players are complete newbs, or have been away from the game for about 3-5 years.

The others in the game will get something moderately similar, whether it's a single level buy-off, or something that'll come in later for them. Basically they're try abilities are going to get unlocked (think original FF where a fighter becomes a knight, mages become wizards, etc).

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 04:10:39 AM »
Well, it's not REALLY gestalting. You just tell your players 'you get these racial benefits at these levels'.

Could make things interesting, especially if you have them, like, mutating as they go along. Mako poisoning!

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 02:20:12 PM »
Well it will be part of a plot device. Their enemy will become immortal from it, but they get the run-off, and it makes them a better version of what they were before. A thunder child godling of a thunder god, a half-giant true half-giant, a half-elf half-fey, a half earth elemental dwarf. I haven't decided on what's going to happen to the halfling rogue or warlock human (NPC) yet. Probably nothing will happen to NPC though.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 02:27:42 PM »
Well it will be part of a plot device. Their enemy will become immortal from it, but they get the run-off, and it makes them a better version of what they were before. A thunder child godling of a thunder god, a half-giant true half-giant, a half-elf half-fey, a half earth elemental dwarf. I haven't decided on what's going to happen to the halfling rogue or warlock human (NPC) yet. Probably nothing will happen to NPC though.
Alright. Then come up with a series of racial abilities that they get throughout their level progression. Make sure everyone is more or less on par (with lower tier characters gaining more awesome abilities). The half-giant gains a size category and the ability to be treated as two sizes higher, and gains Expansion/Compression at will, extra physical score bonuses (all three), a few hulking-hurler-like abilities. Things like that.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 02:31:56 PM »
Well he won't get compression/expansion at will, or a physical bonus to his Dex. It's going to be -4 Dex for both. The true half-giant gets rock throwing. I'm just giving them what's on the templates. Don't need more than that. Everything's between 2-3 for an LA.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 02:40:56 PM »
Well he won't get compression/expansion at will, or a physical bonus to his Dex. It's going to be -4 Dex for both. The true half-giant gets rock throwing. I'm just giving them what's on the templates. Don't need more than that. Everything's between 2-3 for an LA.
I figured that it would give you a way for everyone to play at LA 0 or 1, give the thunder child his racial abilities at appropriate levels, and keep it fair for everyone else.

If you pare the TC down to approximately LA 0 or 1, then add abilities as they go along, it's only fair to do the same for everyone else, even if their abilities are different.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 02:44:21 PM »
The thunder child seems high for LA +6 and PF reduces all LA by one anyways, making it 5. The suggestion was that it's around par with a standard LA +2 or +3, so I'll go with the +3. The half giant is +3, but with PF that'll make it +2. It's got a few things on par with the thunder child so it'll stay. The half fey is considered a high +2, but I'll give it some of the feytouched to make it a low +3. Going into PF so that'll make it a +2 again. They'll be given the LA buy-off so that they can get it in chunks, but your suggestion is to go the route of the bloodlines, but only better.

By the time they've caught up to each other from all the XP losses they'll be about even.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Adjusting high LA on a template for a PC? Savage Species separation???
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 02:53:07 PM »
Just updated the first post with the Open Content LA. Looking at other Savage Species split up like half-dragon, and others, it's definitely got more meat to it than those do.