Author Topic: Max dice rolled at one time...  (Read 5200 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Re: Max dice rolled at one time...
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 03:32:24 PM »
Locate City Bomb clearly wins.  Miles in D&D are abstracted to 6kfeet (IIRC), and the spell can easily knock someone 240 miles.  Since they take 1d6 damage per 5' traveled, that's 288000dg damage to anyone right next to you at time of casting... and it hits everyone else in that radius as well.

JaronK

Shinzen

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 03:59:26 PM »
Locate City Bomb clearly wins.  Miles in D&D are abstracted to 6kfeet (IIRC), and the spell can easily knock someone 240 miles.  Since they take 1d6 damage per 5' traveled, that's 288000dg damage to anyone right next to you at time of casting... and it hits everyone else in that radius as well.

JaronK

I thought the Locate City Bomb didn't actually work by RAW?

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 04:09:50 PM »
It depends on how you read it.  It says it's a circle (which means everyone would just hop up 5' and be quite startled, but only the weakest would die), but it also talks about finding underground cities so clearly it's a circle in all directions from the caster (which is to say a sphere).  As a sphere it works fine.  Both of those are RAW, so it depends on which part you care about more.

Either way, seriously TO.

JaronK

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 06:42:14 PM »
Plain wizard with a raven familiar would do it.

Use Shrink Item on some granite boulders, use the same command word for all of them, and pack them up in a crate that (post Shrinkage) weighs 375 lbs. Use an Empowered Telekinesis to thrust the crate at your foe, and have your familiar ready the command word to all of them to blow them up as they hit your enemy.

375 lbs of shrunken boulders = 1,500,000 lbs of unshrunken boulders, meaning that it deals (according to the text of Telekinesis) 60,000d6 points of bludgeoning damage. Empowered gives you 90,000d6 damage.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 06:45:06 PM »
First link in my sig has to roll many dice.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 06:54:52 PM »
Okay. A wizard takes a MASSIVE tarpaulin and takes it into a 0g, where there is no gravity. Since the tarp now weighs nothing, it's now a proper target for the BIGGEST EXPLOSIVE RUNE EVER.

Now ensure that it's metamagicked with Explosive Spell, and drape it over the surface of the moon.

Since the area of Explosive Runes is limited only to how far it can be read from (plus a few feet for those too far away to read them), the first person that reads the moon rune sets it off, causing everything on the planet to be blasted into space for hundreds of thousands of miles (until it's effectively too far away to read).

How many d6's is that, again?
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 11:27:31 PM »
Okay. A wizard takes a MASSIVE tarpaulin and takes it into a 0g, where there is no gravity. Since the tarp now weighs nothing, it's now a proper target for the BIGGEST EXPLOSIVE RUNE EVER.

Now ensure that it's metamagicked with Explosive Spell, and drape it over the surface of the moon.

Since the area of Explosive Runes is limited only to how far it can be read from (plus a few feet for those too far away to read them), the first person that reads the moon rune sets it off, causing everything on the planet to be blasted into space for hundreds of thousands of miles (until it's effectively too far away to read).

Technically, only 6d6... Size doesn't matter.
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 11:29:05 PM »

Technically, only 6d6... Size doesn't matter.
Explosive Spell kicks in, though.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 11:44:10 PM »
It depends on how you read it.  It says it's a circle (which means everyone would just hop up 5' and be quite startled, but only the weakest would die), but it also talks about finding underground cities so clearly it's a circle in all directions from the caster (which is to say a sphere).  As a sphere it works fine.  Both of those are RAW, so it depends on which part you care about more.

JaronK
Quote from: Complete Arcane
Explosive Spell can be applied only to spells that allow Reflex saves and
:eh

First off, Locate City doesn't even have a saving throw entry.  It's not even "Saving Throw: No."  That by itself disqualifies it from being usable with Explosive spell.  The fact that Locate City may or may not qualify as a burst according to the poorly-defined terms of what a burst is doesn't matter.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 11:57:57 PM »

JaronK
Quote from: Complete Arcane
Explosive Spell can be applied only to spells that allow Reflex saves and

First off, Locate City doesn't even have a saving throw entry.  It's not even "Saving Throw: No."  That by itself disqualifies it from being usable with Explosive spell.  The fact that Locate City may or may not qualify as a burst according to the poorly-defined terms of what a burst is doesn't matter.
Note that other feats applied to it DO give it a saving throw.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 11:58:04 PM »

I take it you're not familiar with the Locate City Bomb.

The concept is that you use Snowcasting to make it a [cold] spell.  Then use Flash Frost spell so it does 2 damage to everyone in the area.  Now use Energy Substitution followed by Born of Three Thunders to give it a Reflex Save.  

Now it's got a reflex save and does damage.  NOW you can apply Explosive Spell.  And there goes the neighborhood.

JaronK

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2011, 12:11:11 AM »
Source for the Flash Frost spell?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2011, 12:54:20 AM »
Source for the Flash Frost spell?
Either Frostburn or PHB2.  Not sure which, but either way, the trick does work to apply Explosive Spell to any area spell.

Explosive Detect Magic is hilarious :p
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2011, 02:26:25 AM »
Well, you can't do that with a prepared spell slot.  Snowcasting only applies at casting, so you can't prepare it with any of those metamagic feats because it's not a [cold] spell yet.  Sorcerers might be able to do it because there's no established priority as to whether the Snowcasting or metamagics come first, but I'm skeptical about the ability for them to pull it off because of the action mandates put on by the Snowcasting feat and metamagic + spontaneous casting in general.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2011, 07:53:19 PM »
PBMC charging build has lots.
I'm remembered :D

Mine is max damage for brute force style 'i run and hit a few times' sort of shtick. Obviously its a more legit method that shouldn't be compared to the 'trick' builds such as locate city nuke or PrC CL recombinations. Oddly enough due to the crit multipliers it is probably the build with the least die rolling (for the scale of its attack damage). But if your DM is okay with you rolling 12 and 16 thousand d8's, you can still manage to surprise him in terms of raw damage if you forget to tell him about the x11 multiplier...
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r