Author Topic: Antifeats  (Read 8988 times)

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
Re: Antifeats
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2011, 08:02:43 PM »
I can't say how, but they've certainly got a license there.

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
Yeah, it's a WotC-licensed book. This isn't some shady back-alley home-brew book. This is shady in-house brew.

Re: supplying the exact text of Spell Swap: I'm not going to reproduce more text than needs to be reproduced for legality's sake, and I've provided the page reference, so it can be looked up and verified or debated. There are only five words for the feat (its prerequisites) which aren't necessary for understanding the feat, so I'd rather not copy-paste a large chunk of text and try to justify it by saying it's necessary for discussion.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2011, 09:23:41 PM »
If you move + attack, or attack as a standard action, then the Spring Attack anti-feat cuts your speed in half and causes you to provoke an AoO, and your turn ends after the attack is resolved.  It could be read to also apply when charging or making a full attack (in which case your turn ends after your first attack on a full attack).

Can I ask how Anti-Irresistable Spell actually works? Do people automatically make their saves all the time? Or can you set your spell level 2 higher to make sure people make their saves? If not the second why does it mention that? The wording is quite puzzling.
It looks like it automatically affects a specific spell when you obtain the anti-feat, so one specific spell has to be prepared as 2-levels higher and enemies always make their saving throws.  The wording is so bad, however, that I'm not too certain about this interpretation, which brings me to another issue with anti-feats: the wording on some of these things is absolutely HORRIBLE.

Drammor

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2011, 09:27:13 PM »
Perhaps we should create a fix to the anti-feats, using proper wording and expanding the list a bit? It doesn't sound like it could hurt...

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2011, 09:39:02 PM »

Drammor

• Email
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2011, 09:44:21 PM »
Pain Touch made me wonder if you could stunning blow without causing damage...

And I'm not even close to sure on how to handle Requiem.

Daniel678

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2011, 10:16:27 PM »
It should be obvious. They find the bard attractive. Any undead who hears his bardic music should become part of his groupies.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2011, 10:18:10 PM »
It should be obvious. They find the bard attractive. Any undead who hears his bardic music should become part of his groupies.
Thundercats Lichloved, HO!
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2011, 10:47:16 PM »
It seems that many of the antifeats were created as exact opposites, with no real regard for balance or playability. That's why we usually fix them on the fly.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2011, 01:41:58 AM »
Perhaps we should create a fix to the anti-feats, using proper wording and expanding the list a bit? It doesn't sound like it could hurt...
If you want to implement some kind of anti-feat system, then do it like this:

1) Separate anti-feat lists depending on the general archetype of the characters in question.

2) Antifeats are totally separate from feats.  No anti-Power Attack or anti-Weapon Focus (and sure as shit no anti-Child of the Earth).

3) You can still spend a feat to negate an anti-feat you don't want, but you don't do it by taking a specific feat, you just cross out the feat slot and the anti-feat.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2011, 01:55:33 AM »
And 4) Make them negatively affect a character without utterly castrating him.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2011, 05:10:20 AM »
And 4) Make them negatively affect a character without utterly castrating him.
Yeah, I should have listed that, too.  Rolling anti-Child of the Earth does, essentially, guarantee that your character will never live to the next level.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2011, 05:23:32 AM »
Somebody run through the highlights of the Antifeats for those without the books?

Though some googling revealed that yes Child of the Earth can and will fucking kill you unless you have the Diamond Mind save-replacers at hand.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Drammor

• Email
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2011, 08:21:58 AM »
2) Antifeats are totally separate from feats.  No anti-Power Attack or anti-Weapon Focus (and sure as shit no anti-Child of the Earth).
Funny thing is, I see polyglot and power penetration, but I don't see power attack. Where is it?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2011, 09:08:48 AM »
Funny thing is, I see polyglot and power penetration, but I don't see power attack. Where is it?
Yeah, there is no anti-Power Attack, but I was using that more as an example of a common first step of a long feat chain that could, potentially, negate all of a given character's feats.  Combat Expertise still works, though.