Author Topic: how low can you get a great swords Crit range  (Read 3227 times)

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
how low can you get a great swords Crit range
« on: July 12, 2011, 02:35:47 AM »
OK My Dm has a bad habit of making the Armour of very High almost to the point were i need to crit to hit  so how low can i get a great sword or two short swords any way ?

and does anything stack with improve critical  ?

kharmakazy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: how low can you get a great swords Crit range
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 03:15:48 AM »
Honestly, I would just pick a weapon with a better crit range to start, or find some way to focus on touch attacks, warlock for example.

kharmakazy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 03:22:30 AM »
7th level Barbarian ACF:
At 7th level, the critical threat range of any charge attack he makes, or any attack he makes against a flat-footed foe, increases by 1. (Thus, a greataxe would threaten a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20.) This ability stacks with the Improved Critical feat or the keen weapon enhancement.

From cityscape web enhancement

All I got so far...

Try and convince your DM that there was never any errata for sword and fist that fixed the 17-20 bladed gauntlets?

kharmakazy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 03:26:35 AM »
Psychic weapon master gets:

Psionic Critical: You gain the Improved Critical feat for free. If you already possess this feat, add an additional +2 to your weapon of choice's threat range for critical hits. You must maintain a reserve of at least 13 power points to use this ability. These reserve points are not used up when the ability is used.

Leviathan

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 03:28:19 AM »
OK My Dm has a bad habit of making the Armour of very High almost to the point were i need to crit to hit

Only a nat 20 is an automatic hit; even if your greatsword has a crit range of 12-20 you'll still need that 20 to autohit.
So really, if you always need a nat 20 to hit you're better off with something like a Scythe that has a large crit multiplier rather than range :)

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 03:33:22 AM »
OK My Dm has a bad habit of making the Armour of very High almost to the point were i need to crit to hit

Only a nat 20 is an automatic hit; even if your greatsword has a crit range of 12-20 you'll still need that 20 to autohit.
So really, if you always need a nat 20 to hit you're better off with something like a Scythe that has a large crit multiplier rather than range :)
This.

If they have high AC, you would need to roll another 20 to confirm the critical, any way. Expanding the range won't help you because the lower parts of that range won't confirm any way.

So more attacks and a high critical multiplier would be best.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 10:43:16 AM »
Actually, PsiWeapon Master is a great route for this kind of thing, because you can use Deep Impact to make your attacks touch attacks. That almost guarantees the hit you need.

BrainCandy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 10:57:22 AM »

Now that the obvious has been covered, use Disciple of Dispater. With improved crit and 10 levels of Disciple you can get a greatsword to crit on a 12-20 and a falchion on an 8-20.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 11:28:22 AM »

Now that the obvious has been covered, use Disciple of Dispater. With improved crit and 10 levels of Disciple you can get a greatsword to crit on a 12-20 and a falchion on an 8-20.
Only need 8 levels for that ability.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Tr011

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • preparing arcane spellcaster
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 12:20:59 PM »
Please note, that there is also a (kinda bad) Weapon Master class in OA to increase the crit by additional 2.
Also, Power Critical and the Warblades ability can make the second roll much more easy (so u only hit on a 20 but you confirm at a 12 or something).

But maybe your main problem is having a low attack bonus, that can be fixed by gaining one BAB every level and many Feats/class features to increase the attack bonus. Also, you can check your equip, maybe you find some things to increase your attack bonus more.

/edit: in arms&armor is a greatsword with a critical range of 18-20.

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 08:22:24 PM »
ya i think you guys my be right better to burn a feat and get a Elven  Thin Blade,(1d8 18-20X2) and try to bust the the attack bonus do to being a grish Erudite 18 / warblade 5  right now i am at +22/+17/+12/7

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 08:36:12 PM »
If you have 18 levels of erudite, why are you trying to hit things with your sword again?
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 09:05:54 PM »
ya i think you guys my be right better to burn a feat and get a Elven  Thin Blade,(1d8 18-20X2) and try to bust the the attack bonus do to being a grish Erudite 18 / warblade 5  right now i am at +22/+17/+12/7
It's 'gish'.

The! More! You! Know!

*STAR!*
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 09:15:36 PM »
You started out talking about a greatsword, so I assume you aren't opposed to a two-handed weapon.  In that case, falchion is better than elven thinblade.  It's 2d4 18-20/*2 slashing, and it's martial. 

So, your base attack bonus is either +11 or +12 (depending on the order of your classes) and you have a +2 epic bonus to attack.  Skillful (Complete Arcane) is a +2 weapon property that will improve your base attack bonus to +15 (or +17, if your DM takes the fun interpretation) and give you proficiency with whatever type of weapon it's on.  If you're going to use that, you should opt for a jovar (Planar Handbook).  It deals 2d6 19-20/*2 slashing damage. 

You could get a dragonshard pommel stone (The Forge of War) enchanted with skillful and whatever other properties you like.  It costs 125% as much as enchanting a weapon, but you can switch it between weapons in slightly over a minute.  This would allow you to carry a wide assortment of weapons and change which you use day-to-day. 

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 09:22:36 PM »
OK My Dm has a bad habit of making the Armour of very High almost to the point were i need to crit to hit  so how low can i get a great sword or two short swords any way ?

Crits don't auto hit, so this won't help any, unless you're rocking out Blood in the Water (but that requires confirming the crits).

and does anything stack with improve critical  ?

Cityscape Barbarian 7, Disciple of Dispater (but that's a 3.0 holdover), and not a whole lot else.

JaronK

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 10:40:30 PM »
If you have 18 levels of erudite, why are you trying to hit things with your sword again?

well I was trying for a Pis warrior mage and with how high the saves are that a well made character can at 25 I think that they will make the saves so most save or die spells are out and other spells doing little damage I was hopeing to level the feild by getting close but up a anti magic feild and going one on one with the war blade levels over three rounds of hand to hand hitting with Maneuvers like Ancient Mountain Hammer , Crusing vise and irresitible mountan strike I should be able to drop most opponents

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 11:26:38 PM »
the prc disciple of dispater lowers crit range. there was a build where you crit on a 5 or higher somewhere
Slappin ho's like E-Honda