Author Topic: The Lord of All Magic  (Read 13921 times)

Daniel678

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: The Lord of All Magic
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2011, 03:04:39 AM »
Frankly, if everything is allowed there is nothing that anybody can help you with. If you want to optimize your character then get an arbitrarily large amount of gold and use it to make an arbitrarily large number of epic spells over an arbitrarily large amount of time. Use said epic spells or other resources to make arbitrarily powerful defenses which can stop arbitrarily powerful attacks and to make arbitrarily strong attacks to pierce your opponent's arbitrarily invulnerable defenses.

If you have any questions then look at pun-pun.

Damien_Wilacoth

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2011, 03:30:56 AM »
Frankly, if everything is allowed there is nothing that anybody can help you with. If you want to optimize your character then get an arbitrarily large amount of gold and use it to make an arbitrarily large number of epic spells over an arbitrarily large amount of time. Use said epic spells or other resources to make arbitrarily powerful defenses which can stop arbitrarily powerful attacks and to make arbitrarily strong attacks to pierce your opponent's arbitrarily invulnerable defenses.

If you have any questions then look at pun-pun.

To be fair, that is just about what I'm asking - this being the God of Magic and Archmage of Deities to fight against.

As for why I don't just create NI gold for NI research... gentleman's agreement with the DM to cap actual wealth at 500,000 gold.  I can use magic to create/improve stuff up to 50,000 gold, but not pull off ladder tricks to gain wealth.  It's a weird type of agreement, but considering he lets me get away with some really cool stuff, I'm fine enough with these types of things.

Daniel678

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2011, 03:51:34 AM »
What I'm saying is that gold is just one measure of a character's power. You could be an Illithid Savant and suck NI spells out of casters heads for free and then eat a Sarukh's brain. Alternatively you could be an Egoist and Fuse with an arbitrary number of creatures. You could be an Ethereal Doppelganger (MM2) and absorb a large number of people that way. Another option would be to use NI free wishes to empower your character. If you look at Faerun there is a precedent for a character gaining the power of a deity with a (I think) 12th level spell. That might be a place to start.

Anyway, my point is that without restrictions dnd offers a character NI power. If you want to make such a character then feel free. However any conflict with another character of NI power would be silly. At that point you would either need to use a loophole in the rules to beat the other character or you would need in depth knowledge of their abilities and options and be able to counter them. If you don't have access to their character sheet and/or the character is well made and doesn't have any exploitable weaknesses then you need a rule loophole to allow it.

I suggest looking in the "you break it you buy it" section for actual loopholes in the rules because after a certain point normal optimization does anything at all for your character. If you don't think that the DM is going to optimize a lot then what you have right now is probably enough.

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2011, 01:03:22 AM »
Explosive packs (secrets of sarlona) + Augmented alchemy (Epic Level Handbook) + Craft (Alchemy) optimization

with a really high craft bonus, you can get the damage from an explosive pack up to a very large amount of d6. You then convince a commoner to walk up to boccob and pull the pin. Use the diplomacy skill and then this is being done entirely non-magically.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]