Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer 26: Still better than CustServ  (Read 185967 times)

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
Q176 Why Trunamer are bad? Why they are useless?
Because the DC for truename checks increases fast than your skill bonus does, unless you put some high OP stuff towards boosting the skill check, in which case said check is irrelevant.

If you do put some high OP stuff in to making the check, do they still suck?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
I'm pretty sure Bortasz is meme-ing you, guys.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong

Yeah, but I still sort of want to know.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
Of course he was. I answered the question hoping the thread would stay on topic.

About low tier 2 or high 3. Nowhere near as versatile magic, but near umlimited use, so still powerful.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
Of course he was. I answered the question hoping the thread would stay on topic.

About low tier 2 or high 3. Nowhere near as versatile magic, but near umlimited use, so still powerful.

Really?!  That will work out great...
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
No, they're not that good.  More like T4, similar to a Warlock... until they hit level 20 and can spam gate.  But even when you pump their skill up, their abilities really aren't that great.  The possible exception is using their repair utterance to repair scroll tablets (which are an option in Complete Mage instead of scrolls, you get tiles that can be broken to get magic, and with the repair thing you could spam them).

JaronK

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
No, they're not that good.  More like T4, similar to a Warlock... until they hit level 20 and can spam gate.  But even when you pump their skill up, their abilities really aren't that great.  The possible exception is using their repair utterance to repair scroll tablets (which are an option in Complete Mage instead of scrolls, you get tiles that can be broken to get magic, and with the repair thing you could spam them).

JaronK

This sounds more accurate, though as implied by my asking the question in the first place, I've never played one.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.

JaronK
Minor correction: They're potion tiles, not scroll replacements, and they're from Complete Arcane. It's still nice, but not nearly as much so. There might be a workable scroll replacement, but I don't know.

jojolagger

• Hong Kong

JaronK
Some stuff the the Truenamer can do.
[spoiler]Essence of lifespark allows you to hit someone with a no save negative level. At level 14 you can do this as a swift and/or a standard action.
Caster Lens let's you shut down a casters highest level of spells without save (due to making them have insufficient CL to cast.) You can Do this as a swift action at level 10.
Confounding Resistance lets you give mettle and evasion. You can do this as a swift action at level 10.
Energy Negation let's you do 10d6 damage to a target, no save. With Strong op-fu, you can do this as a swift action at level 6. You will almost always be able to do it as a standard action. At 6th level, the warlock you compare this class to is done 3d6.
With Inertia Surge, you can get a Freedom of movement effect at level 1.
Starting at level three you can use Silent Caster to Save or suck casters.
When you remove the save on slow, it is an incredibly harsh de-buff. Available from 6th level, in the lovely form of Greater Speed of the zephyr.
Hell, throwing around +5 or -5 on all skill checks is easy for most classes at 1st level. It isn't at all special that a truenamer can with Universal Aptitude.
Or a no save sanctuary effect. I bet that's incredibly common. Ward of Peace is useless.
Plus, with how the class works, spend one utterance on any word of nurturing, and you are the perfect out of combat bandaid box for free.
Able to make any suit of armor grant immunity to Sneak attacks and critical hits? Everyone has that by four level. Fortify Armor is barely worth mention.
Also, the fact you're talking is the only thing that marks you as a psuedocaster. Nothing in the rules say you must speak loudly. As far as the enemy knows, reality is re-writing itself because it likes you better.
Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if a good truenamer could take down a tier one if the Truenamer had the element of surprise. It could easily take down a overconfident tier two. It can't kill someone abusing contact other plane, but it sould be able to put up a fight for anyone short of it.
[/spoiler]
Truenamer is a class that allows you to have the cheat codes for the universe. Pick the right codes, and you can really mess stuff up.
I'll admit the truenamer isn't tier 1. However, It get's lot's of things no other class does, many of these things are stuff nobody will expect.
Use the uncertainty to you're advantage. 
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
Q 177: Is there a compilation somewhere of all the ways for archivists to get arcane casters' spells (particularly wizard/sorcerer) into their prayerbooks?
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Q 178 Got a new player who recently joined my game, and is going to be taking levels of wizard (I'm letting the magic point version available) now that he's second level. The first level was fighter so he could prestige without any issues. Anyways, in the last group he was in, his DM made anyone who wanted to become a wizard, find another arcane spellcaster that had a spellbook, train them, and eventually give them their own "learner's guide" and spellbook. I don't know if that was just his old DM going for elaborate fluff and homebrew, or what, but I have never heard of such a book existing. Have any of you?

178 b He doesn't have any examples of it for me to base it off of, but do I just do it as fluff, or do I actually give him something that works along the lines of an apprentice's book?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Q 178 Got a new player who recently joined my game, and is going to be taking levels of wizard (I'm letting the magic point version available) now that he's second level. The first level was fighter so he could prestige without any issues. Anyways, in the last group he was in, his DM made anyone who wanted to become a wizard, find another arcane spellcaster that had a spellbook, train them, and eventually give them their own "learner's guide" and spellbook. I don't know if that was just his old DM going for elaborate fluff and homebrew, or what, but I have never heard of such a book existing. Have any of you?
A178: You don't have to find a teacher for any base class I'm aware of. You can fluff it that way if you like, but only PrCs require any kind of actual affiliation.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
A178: You don't have to find a teacher for any base class I'm aware of. You can fluff it that way if you like, but only PrCs require any kind of actual affiliation.
That's what I thought. I'd never heard of anything like that before the other night. My only guess was his old DM made him do that so he couldn't just go "I'm taking wizard levels now just because I can."

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
There are variants to this effect proposed in How PCs Improve (Dungeon Master's Guide 197). 

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
That's what I thought. I'd never heard of anything like that before the other night. My only guess was his old DM made him do that so he couldn't just go "I'm taking wizard levels now just because I can."

His old DM was on crack. He could take levels in freaking Dread Necromancer if he wanted to and no rule in the universe would keep him from doing so.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
His old DM was on crack. He could take levels in freaking Dread Necromancer if he wanted to and no rule in the universe would keep him from doing so.
Rule 0?

Which, I guess, would be 'no rule,' since none = 0.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Rule 0?

What's funny is he always brings up Rule 0. I actually had to ask him what that was, and without blinking an eye he gave me the most detailed explanation I'd ever heard for a rule. It was like he was in a trance when he spoke. Looking it up, it just said "The unspoken DM gets final say/veto anything he wants rule."

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Rule 0?

What's funny is he always brings up Rule 0. I actually had to ask him what that was, and without blinking an eye he gave me the most detailed explanation I'd ever heard for a rule. It was like he was in a trance when he spoke. Looking it up, it just said "The unspoken DM gets final say/veto anything he wants rule."
You're such a kind man, for taking in abused unfortunates and rehabilitating them.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Rule 0?

You're such a kind man, for taking in abused unfortunates and rehabilitating them.
At one time I was, afterall, one of them.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Rule 0?

At one time I was, afterall, one of them.
You're a saint, man.

We should petition to get his handle changed to Saint_Kevin!

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]