Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer 26: Still better than CustServ  (Read 185968 times)

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
But I see it affecting a creature immune to mind-affecting abilities, since in an indirect way, they are immune to fear.
So you're saying you can make the dirt afraid of you, despite it not having a mind?

Not buying it.

maybe i'm just over-thinking it :(

is there a way to ignore the mind-affecting immunity?

Bard

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Q171: Any way to give a bard Cure Minor Wounds to abuse some more out of Healing Hymn?
Q171b: Any way to get more RANKS in perform?
[Spoiler]
His old DM was on crack. He could take levels in freaking Dread Necromancer if he wanted to and no rule in the universe would keep him from doing so.
Rule 0?
Which, I guess, would be 'no rule,' since none = 0.
What's funny is he always brings up Rule 0. I actually had to ask him what that was, and without blinking an eye he gave me the most detailed explanation I'd ever heard for a rule. It was like he was in a trance when he spoke. Looking it up, it just said "The unspoken DM gets final say/veto anything he wants rule."
You're such a kind man, for taking in abused unfortunates and rehabilitating them.
[/spoiler]

Sjappo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Cheers
    • Email
Q172: The Demoralize Opponent option of Intimidate is listed as a standard action. I thought the skilltrick Never Outnumbered changed this to a swift action but I found no mention of this in Complete Scoundrel. Is there a way to change Demoralize Opponent to a swift action?

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
Q172: The Demoralize Opponent option of Intimidate is listed as a standard action. I thought the skilltrick Never Outnumbered changed this to a swift action but I found no mention of this in Complete Scoundrel. Is there a way to change Demoralize Opponent to a swift action?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a: Zhentarim Soldier substitution levels.

Also, from Drow of the Underdark there's the "Fearsome" armor property which lets you demoralize as a move action.

You also may want to check this handbook if you care about using fear as a weapon.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
Q173  When playing a Gestalt game how would having one side be straight Spellthief 20 with master spellthief and a sneak attacking spell caster on the other, how does the caster level add up?  I'm not sure whether both sides would add together to determine CL or if gestalt would nullify it.

(We are playing traditional Gestalt rules, no PrC at the same time.)
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

JaronK

• Organ Grinder

Zhentarium variant Fighter, from IIRC Champions of Valor, is the only way I know of to do this.  Never Outnumbered doesn't... it just makes it AoE.

JaronK

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Q173  When playing a Gestalt game how would having one side be straight Spellthief 20 with master spellthief and a sneak attacking spell caster on the other, how does the caster level add up?  I'm not sure whether both sides would add together to determine CL or if gestalt would nullify it.

Gestalt rules probably forbid it as a double progression type thing.

You might want to consider having factotum on the other side.  Spellthieves don't actually deplete uses of spell-likes when they steal them, and factotums get some good spell-likes.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email

Gestalt rules probably forbid it as a double progression type thing.

You might want to consider having factotum on the other side.  Spellthieves don't actually deplete uses of spell-likes when they steal them, and factotums get some good spell-likes.

I should have mentioned that Double Progression classes are allowed, so I guess it's up to the DM.  I'm not all that familiar with playing Factorums and this will be a high level campaign, thus I wanted to avoid annoying the other players while picking up the learning curve. 
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
inb4sum1else

Factorums

Factotum, like, w/ a T, not a R.

:P
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Question 174

I had remembered reading somewhere here about a disease that turned its victims into a plant-based creature. Does anyone know of something akin to this?

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
Q175 How can you bypass mind-affecting immunities when casting a spell that would be affected?

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
You can do better. Take the feat Intimidating Rage from Complete Warrior. Starting a Rage is a free action. Also, take the feat Instantaneous Rage from Complete Warrior. Then starting a Rage is an immediate action. Meaning you can use it on someone else's turn, whenever you want.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Q175 How can you bypass mind-affecting immunities when casting a spell that would be affected?
adaptation section of Nightmare Spinner for ench bypassing.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
A175You could use the Capstone ability of Knowledge affiliation.....

IlPazzo

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Question 174

I had remembered reading somewhere here about a disease that turned its victims into a plant-based creature. Does anyone know of something akin to this?

A174: Yellow Musk Creeper is a plant capable of making it's victims Yellow Musk Zombies (despite the name they become plant type, not undead).
I Believe it's in Fiend Folio, but I can't check at the moment.

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
~Robert Heinlein

Bortasz

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Q176 Why Trunamer are bad? Why they are useless?
Radical Taoist
[spoiler]It bears saying: if up against a logic-impervious DM who thinks Core is balanced and Psionics*  isn't, then the most powerful way to disprove that is to play a C.o.D. (Cleric or Druid). Noncore material will not be necessary unless you are going for pure overkill (Draconic Wildshape? Divine Metamagic?). So by all means, if you must win that argument, take you C.o.D. to town. Annihilate the opposition. Make the NPCs and other players scream "Oh no, it's C.o.D.zilla!!!!!" in badly dubbed English. Breathe radioactive fire. Knock down buildings. Then stomp out of the burning Tokyo that is the ruins of the game and swim off into the ocean, seeking a DM with some basic cognitive functions. [/profile]

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
Q176 Why Trunamer are bad? Why they are useless?
Because the DC for truename checks increases fast than your skill bonus does, unless you put some high OP stuff towards boosting the skill check, in which case said check is irrelevant.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]