Author Topic: Gestalt, Chance to try a Truenamer  (Read 3853 times)

stolide

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • The wise man knows he isn't.
    • Email
Gestalt, Chance to try a Truenamer
« on: June 30, 2011, 12:16:06 PM »
Hey, I am going to be playing a 10th level gestalt game. I was thinking it would be a good way to try out a truenamer, and hopefully use gestalt to turn it into something not horrible. I have read the handbooks I could find, but they did not deal specifically with gestalt. Any ideas for what to do with the non-truenamer side?

Or, if you have any other weird ideas to try in gestalt, I'd love to hear those as well.
My homebrew gaming system: http://quomodo.weebly.com/

Why magic is underpowered in DnD 3.5:http://teneonon.weebly.com/

Mudkipz

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: Gestalt, Chance to try a Truenamer
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 02:17:34 PM »
Well, Truenamer (in my opinion) does not really work until 11th level, which is the first level you can get exemplar. I would suggest at this level, dip one into Marshal (for charisma to Truespeak) and take the rest into Factotum. Make sure to take Extend and Quicken Utterances, and try to be an Illumian. Pump your Truespeak check as high as you can, and hope you DM likes you.

BrainCandy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 02:23:27 PM »
You could just put Wizard or Archivist on the other side. You could pair either of those with commoner and be fine lol. Since you read up on Truenamer, I assume you know how busted the class is.

I've never really had much interest in trying to play a Truenamer but Fiendbinder has always looked cool. Put Archivist or Wizard on the other side and get some Fiendbinder.  Who doesn't want to have a couple of Mariliths and Succubuses at their beck and call? If you build it right you won't lose any caster levels, but that would be more of a caster a bit of Truenamer than an actual Truenamer. If you want, you can still do it with 17 caster levels and 9th levels spells and still take Truenamer 20 though. You still have several more levels to PRC with too.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 02:26:15 PM by BrainCandy »

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 05:13:12 PM »
Truenamer works exceptionally well with Artificer after you get the reform items ability, just use the potion tiles variant from complete arcane for reusable potions and then pick up a couple of expensive magical items that you can suck the xp from, then reform them back to working order for unlimited crafting XP.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 09:52:47 PM »
I've made one for Gestalt, level 10, once. See what you can use.

As for the check, it's easy to optimize!
Truespeak (level 10): 50 + INT (13 Ranks + 13 Item Familiar + 10 Amulet + 10 Affiliation + 2 Racial + 2 Heroism + INT)

Illumian Truenamer 10 // XXX 10
Classes you can consider - Wizard, Archivist, Warblade, Marshal (1), Paladin (4), Chameleon (PrC)?

Evolving Mind:
1st - Inertia Surge (FoM/Standstill), Knight's Puissance (+2/-2 Attack), Universal Aptitude (+5/-5 Skill Checks).
2nd - Hidden Truth (+10 Knowledge/Bluff), Perceive the Unseen (Blind-Fight/Concealment), Strike of Might (+10/-5 Damage for 1 attack).
3rd - Seek the Sky (Fly/Counter-Fly), Temporal Spiral (Extra Move/Daze for 3 Rounds), G. Speed of the Zephyr (Haste/Slow), Vision Sharpened (See Invisibility/Invisibility).
4th - Spell Rebirth (Restore/Dispel Magic).
Next:
4th - Confounding Resistance (Evasion+Mettle/-2 to Saves).

Crafted Tool:
1st - Fortify Armor (+20 DC for Full Fortification), Keen Weapon.
Next:
3rd - Rebuild Item.

Perfected Map:
1st - Fog from the Void (DC 30 + 10 DC for Solid Fog + 5 DC for Magical Location).
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 04:15:08 AM »
Don't forget the Quicken Utterance feat once you've boosted your Truespeak checks up to high levels. Even if you fail the check, all you lose is your swift action (Law of Resistance doesn't increase the DC since you didn't use the utterance successfully) so it doesn't hurt to try. More importantly, you can use it for some useful effects alongside whatever your other side of Gestalt is doing for your standard or full-round actions. While Truenamers may be made of mostly unimpressive stuff for a class on its own, having it all available as swift action options alongside an already viable power base should make it far more potent than normal.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 06:12:48 PM »
Whatever it is, either make it Int-based (factotum is awesomesauce because it directly boosts your skills) or find a way to add some other bonuses to your truenaming.

Frankly, I think the marshal/factotum idea is a great one. +Cha to truenaming and lots of skill boosts and passive abilities via factotum will help you considerably.

Seer psion could be a good choice, too, since it boosts your skill checks and allows for rerolls.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]