Author Topic: Warrior Woman Optimization  (Read 7178 times)

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Warrior Woman Optimization
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 02:37:55 PM »
While very much a one trick pony, the paladin/cavalier is a super simple build. See a soft fleshy target, skewer said target. Repeat.

Add a bit of Beastmaster and Devoted Tracker for the boost and mini-supermount flavour, or do Halfling Outrider for the full out nonsense.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 06:41:45 AM »
If Players Handbook 2 is allowed, it might be worth to look into Combat Form feats.
2 Feats(Combat Focus, Combat Vigor) for Fast Healing 2, 3(+ either Combat Awareness or Combat Defense, I'd choose Awareness) for Fast Healing 4
All you need is a Wisdom of 13 and some BaB(3-15, depends on the feat in question)

One Problem with Familiars and Cohorts: Death can cost you XP(Familiar) or lower your Leadership Score(Cohorts).

If we go with PsyWar, there are 2 ways, I know of, to get a Mount:
- Astral Construct
- Psi Crystal + Metamorphosis

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 01:42:54 PM »
Wow, Ivory, flavor-wise, Combat Focus is perfect, and Combat Vitality will really help with the concept. Unfortunately, This fet chain seems to be like the Shifter feats: great in concept, but lacking in results. I will definitely run it by her.
22 extra hp every time she goes into battle never hurt anyone!

Now, What exactly is the build for Bardbarian? Is there actually any barbarian in it? How can the Bard take a frontline fighting role? Remember, we actually do need her to deal good damage and to serve as a bit of a damage sink... :)
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 03:41:57 PM »
Actually, psywar chargers are decent with a Wild Cohort mount. They can't really buff it, but they can heal it through Empathic Transfer. And if you give the mount the right feats, you can pull some interesting tricks.

See here: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11801.msg417846#msg417846
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 04:31:25 PM »
That build looks good and all, but it uses unavailable sources and has way more money than what is available.
She doesn't want to be a supercharger, anyways.
She wants to ride something, but wants to also walk around...? Yeah, she just doesn't want to be mount-dependent
Thanks for the input, though, Lyca!
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 04:44:53 PM »
That build looks good and all, but it uses unavailable sources and has way more money than what is available.
She doesn't want to be a supercharger, anyways.
She wants to ride something, but wants to also walk around...? Yeah, she just doesn't want to be mount-dependent
Thanks for the input, though, Lyca!
Well, it IS level 12, so that's standard WBL right there.

As for the rest of it, the focus of my drawing your attention to the post was to see what was doable with a psywar's mount.

Take another look. The mount and everything required to use it is really cheap. One feat, 475 gp for warbeast, 100 gp for feat retraining, 60 gp for a saddle, and whatever inexpensive armor you care for.

If she's small sized, have her take cheetah and refluff it as a smallish tiger. Or you could just see if she could take, like, a leopard instead.

I don't think ~635 gp is too expensive for a companion that could potentially survive the whole campaign. Do you?
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 05:07:52 PM »
Oh, wow. I might actually want to play that build. At first I saw soulbound, etc. and thought, "Too complicated!" But looking closer at the build, it really is simple and has its merits! All the complication was just things to make it better.

I'll talk to her about it. This may actually be something she goes for.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
Sounds a little OP.

[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 05:28:32 PM »
Oh, wow. I might actually want to play that build.

Yay ... Lyca and the CO-board wins the day.

I'll talk to her about it. This may actually be something she goes for.

Uh-oh. I spoke too soon ...  :D

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 05:31:09 PM »
Just make sure you guys understand how things like the Linked Power feat work.

Also, how ML-boosts + shoulders-bound Phase Cloak = Win.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 07:42:24 PM »
Combat Form looked right for this concept, but like the Ironskin Chant it only works if you have feats to spare.
If you have better things to do with your feats, take whatever fits the style and gets better results.

I don't know if there is a default Bardbarian, I perfered to use a Swashbuckling Bard:
Swashbuckler 1/Fighter 2/Bard 4/Lyric Thaumathurg 4/Abjurant Champion 5/ could finish with Dervish(replace Cutlass with Scimitar to enhance Critrange)

I needed the feats, my music went into Snowflake Wardance TWF with Cutlass, Combat Expertise and Deadly Defense.
- AC 30(+5 Dex, +4 Chainshirt, +9 Shield, +2 Combat Expertise to get the damage bonus from Deadly Defense), not considering magic items!
- 2d6+Str from Main Weapon with +4 from CHA negating TWF & Combat Expertise penalties
- circumstantial useful spells: Alter Self(hello troglodyte for nat. armor & stench, or Avariel for wings), Bladeweave, Critical Strike, Grace(later: Sirine's or Nixie's), Haste, War Cry

One Build I made for a fellow player used a lot of Forgotten Realms Material:
Bard 7/ Barbarian(Lion Totem) 1/ Rage Mage 8/either Spelldancer or Raumathari Battlemage 4
I said Spelldancer for free metamagic(persist spells via dancing), the player wanted a "Katana" aka Bastard Sword and took the other PrC...
Damage came from Leap Attack & Arcane Strike
AC was bad, took a lot more healing than he was able to provide himself

Bards are really more about buffing/debuffing than about dealing or soaking direct damage.
Duskblades are better for that, but they lack in the utility department.
Hexblade is really underpowered, even compared to Bard & Duskblade without taking into account PrC.

Most "Fighter using a little Magic"-characters I play myself are build around other schticks:
- Alter Self/Polymorph into some combat form(sometimes combined with Skirmish/Sneak)
- Battlefield control(with somesthing like a Breath Weapon + Entangling Breath)
- Hit & Run(using Wings or teleport + pounce, combined with Skirmish/Sneak)
- Ranged attacks(Arcane Archer, or Eldritch Blast combined with Skirmish/Sneak)

For all I know to make the ideas in the opening post work, you need to combine DR and/or fast healing with a reasonably high AC and some way to defend against "save or die"(save or suck, whatever you like to call it).
Where I do have my problems is getting damage in excess of normal weapon damage, especially without neglecting the above.

Maybe a Glaivelock(Warlock, using the Eldritch Glaive Invocation from Dragon Magic) could work?
The Warlock Information Compilation has more informations on that one, I toyed around with it but never actually used the class in play.

For Psychic Warrior:
The Bonus Feats are the big selling point here, otherwise I'd prefer Ardent(more power points, some nice abilities and the later you take it the better) or Wilder(more power points, also Wild Surge can provide a useful little buff for both manifesting and combat).

I got a lot of use out of Expanded Knowledge.
Astral Constructs are useful to have anyways, but you can also get one menu A choice for yourself(with either Skin of the Construct(feat) or Astral Vambraces(Soulmeld, from a Web Enhancement).
Metamorphosis + Metamorphic Transfer is even better.

Incarnum is also a nobrainer, I once used the dualadvancing PrC with Ardent & Incarnate(Ranged Attack focused).
Totemist does have the better melds for a melee build, might even be worth a dip(level 2 recommended) instead of blowing a feat for 1 meld only.

Swordsage 2(see Ardent, take preferably after at least 6 other classlevels) will also be superior to taking martial study/stance, if only to add your casting stat to AC in light armor(between Mithral Breatplate/Chainshirt+Dastana + WIS and Mithral Fullplate, you only need 16+ to come up equal).

If you can get Lords of Madness included, Sanctified Mind might be a good PrC to include.