Author Topic: The ends justify the means...  (Read 2310 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
The ends justify the means...
« on: June 23, 2011, 03:53:03 PM »
Hellbred Paladins can cast any Sanctified or Corrupt spells.

If they take a feat (Heretic of the Faith), they can stretch their class-based vows to essentially allow them to USE the above Corrupt spells (properly speaking, if you make extreme force allowable vs. evil people...)

Now, combo this with Battle Blessing, and smile (note: I know some people (Kell, I'm looking at you) say that Battle Blessing affects spells gained through Prestige Paladin. I don't agree with this position.).

I especially love having Absorb Knowledge and Absorb Strength on a Paladin. I really do.

"Thurdon, what are you doing?"
"Eating this orc's brain."
"Why?"
"To gain its knowledge, duh. Don't worry, Pelor is OK with this."

And that, my friends, is your average Paladin of Pelor. Grab a level in Binder, and go ahead and HEAL away that Sanctified damage as it tears its way through your unholy, technically undead flesh.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Unbeliever

• King Kong
Re: The ends justify the means...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 04:23:05 PM »
I dig.  I even find it bona fide interesting.  My only problem is that Paladins get so few spells, making anything that experiments w/ or hinges on their spellcasting rather tepid.  Maybe I should scour or write-up a homebrew Mystic Paladin type of thing, something w/ more casting than a Paladin (so it can be a significant part of the character) w/out going full-bore "I'm really a cleric" like a Prestige Paladin. 

Any other good spells to work w/ this? 

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 05:11:01 PM »
"Thurdon, what are you doing?"
"Eating this orc's brain."
"Why?"
"To gain its knowledge, duh. Don't worry, Pelor is OK with this."

And that, my friends, is your average Paladin of Pelor. Grab a level in Binder, and go ahead and HEAL away that Sanctified damage as it tears its way through your unholy, technically undead flesh.
I thought a Paladin of Pelor was like BURN IN HELL! and DIE A THOUSAND DEATHS IN FIRE!. You know, given the BURNING HATE theme and all.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 06:11:41 PM »
Maybe I should scour or write-up a homebrew Mystic Paladin type of thing, something w/ more casting than a Paladin (so it can be a significant part of the character) w/out going full-bore "I'm really a cleric" like a Prestige Paladin.

Check out the Rewrite Compilation then... ;)

And my Paladin gives them Bard casting (still all known) and an expanded spell list, plus more aura, smite, and alignment options.

/endpimp

And I have to say, this is indeed a flavorful little trick, though personally I must agree that Battle Blessing would apply to Prestige Paladin spells as well. In absence of that, however, this trick does get even tastier.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 07:06:45 PM »
Thanks Ejo, I will look it up when I get the chance.  Though I'm playing a gold dragon supermount right now, which probably satiates my desire for good and holy smiting.  And, I have no problem w/ pimps. 

I rule that Battle Blessing only applies to spells form the Paladin list that a Prestige Paladin uses, rather than every cleric, etc. spell that they cast.  I don't know if that's different than what others are saying here. 

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 07:14:29 PM »
Where is Heretic of the Faith found again?

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 07:19:26 PM »
Where is Heretic of the Faith found again?
Power of Faerun
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

Nemo

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 07:03:38 AM »
How well would it work with Knight of Mystic Fire\Sword of the Arcane Order?

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 07:28:45 AM »
Doesn't this ONLY work on Sanctified spells? Corrupt Spells aren't on the Paladin spell list.

Nemo

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 07:44:01 AM »
If I remember correctly, any character who casts prepared spells can use corrupt spells. Corrupt spells are specific to no character class.

Fangs of Vampire King looks cute. Can you use them as every other bite attack? You know, as a part of full attack and stuff?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 07:47:33 AM by Nemo »

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 07:47:15 AM »
If I remember correctly, any character who casts prepared spells can use corrupt spells. Corrupt spells are specific to no character class.

Ah, yes. You're correct. My reading tech needs work. Carry on!

Nemo

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 07:51:13 AM »
Serpents and Fangs are really fun and Party-WTFinducing :D. Are there any good spells that can grant us, like...more natural attacks :P?

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 01:45:16 PM »
There is that Paladin ACF that gives you claw attacks; it even has a sun-based flavor!
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing