Author Topic: Atavist  (Read 3634 times)

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Atavist
« on: June 22, 2011, 07:43:30 PM »
I've read several times that this is a "great PrC for a Soulknife." Now, all weakness of the Soulknife apart, why is this so? Because it enhances both Mindblade & Unarmed damage? :eh

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Atavist
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 07:57:52 PM »
It doesn't actually enhance the Mind Blade. It stacks for the +1/Four levels, but it specifically states that you don't get enhancements. It's a really bad PrC.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 08:11:35 PM »
I've read several times that this is a "great PrC for a Soulknife." Now, all weakness of the Soulknife apart, why is this so? Because it enhances both Mindblade & Unarmed damage? :eh
It's really bad because it's a Monk/Soulknife PrC.  Now, if you have a character that happens to be a Kalashtar and intend to take a Soulknife 2/Soulbow 1 dip anyway, then I can see a 2-level Atavist dip being useful.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 08:12:06 PM »
You can expend your psionic focus to get an extra standard action.  That's about it.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 08:23:17 PM »
And a " ... great PrC for a Soulknife ... " is/was a relative term  ;)

Tash on a PsyWar with the Soulknife mimic acf thingy, is strictly superior.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:36:38 PM by awaken DM golem »

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 08:32:35 PM »
You can expend your psionic focus to get an extra standard action.  That's about it.
Given that we're talking about a Monk/Soulknife here, that extra standard action really isn't worth much.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 04:54:25 AM »
Thanks, I thought I was going crazy.

rasmuswagner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 05:53:08 AM »
I was doodling around with character concepts, and I remembered that Kalashtar were supposed to have GREAT monk/soulknife synergy options. They don't. They do have options, ranging from "neglible" to "actually worse than standard monk/soulknife", but it's all really terrible. 

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 02:21:29 PM »
About the best I've seen was soulknife/psywar/soulbow/atavist with manyshot and a psicrystal so he could crank out a bunch of shots in the first round of combat.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 02:32:26 PM »
It makes decent filler for a monk/soulknife/soulbow build.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

rasmuswagner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 05:35:29 AM »

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is how you do "damning with faint praise". Take notes, it will be on the test.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 07:43:34 AM »

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is how you do "damning with faint praise". Take notes, it will be on the test.
I lol'd.

To be fair, I've heard that a Soulknife 2/Soulbow 1 dip has merits, and following that with an Atavist 2 dip isn't terrible if your party needs a little extra scouting power.  If you use the DSP rules allowing +1 manifesting classes to advance mindblades in addition to manifesting, then you can top it off with Slayer and wind up with an interesting kind of Psywar build.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 05:43:52 PM »
Lol +1
 :D

drako_beoulve

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
Monastic Training, Tashalatora and Flowing blade feats does 1000 better than Atavist and since these are available Monk feats at first two leves you only need to spend Flowing blade as Soulknife 3 feat on and advance Soulknife to get AC and speed bonus and (greater) flurry with the Mindblade, someting like this (not optimized):

Monk 3 / Soulknife 8 / Kensai 4 / Someclass 5

Now, you could go Soulbow build and point monastic training and tashalatora to soulbow:

Human or Lesser Assimar
Monk 3 / Soulknife 3/ Ranger 2 / Soulbow 1 / Kensai 3 / Shiba Protector 1 / Soulbow +7

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 06:02:50 AM »
Anf Flowing Blade was which feat?

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 06:55:47 AM »
Flowing Blade [General]

Your mind blade is an extension of your body and soul, and you wield it with the same grace as your foot or fist.

Prerequisite: Ability to generate a mind blade, Weapon Focus (mind blade), flurry of blows class feature.

Benefit: You can treat your mind blade as a special monk weapon so that you can perform a flurry of blows with it.

Special: A kalashtar or Inspired monk can select this as a bonus feat at 2nd or 6th level, in addition to the normal options available at those levels. They must still meet all prerequisites for the feat.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 08:19:58 AM »
Cool. And the source? Thanks!

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 09:10:48 AM »
its an eberron book, i forgot which, its also on a web article on wotc.  google it.. comes right up.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
Thanks, found the article.