Author Topic: Fully Fleshed out (to 7th) Cleric build advice  (Read 2412 times)

Polarbearhunter

• Monkey bussiness
Fully Fleshed out (to 7th) Cleric build advice
« on: June 16, 2011, 06:23:46 PM »
To start out yes i've read the handbooks on here and the WoTC boards, yes i've gone through multiple cleric builds that have been posted on here.  Just wanted some brilliant (or common sense) advice as to a cleric build.

So here's the deal;  I am currently DM'ing a rather new group to DnD 3.5 (only 1 has played the game more than our sessions together)  they all seem to be getting it down, and actually aren't a bad group to play against with. :P  The problem is, the only way they have of healing is the Rogue with UMD and seeing as how its a small party (usually only 3 others can make it to the game, sometimes as much as 5).  Usually they just hire someone on to heal for them (Generic healbot cleric level x)  but the next area of the campaign they are going to won't have people for them to hire on, So i've decided to create a DMPC to help them out with heals/tanking (yes I understand the 'holy trinity' is sub-par and not OP in D&D 3.5 but i can't help what they've made just trying to fill in some blind spots and to give there characters some soft reminders when needed as they are pretty new.

Anywho here is the cleric build i've been working on and would like advice on.  Yes it has to stay as a Hill Dwarf for RP purposes, the stats were rolled using the same rules for characters, some of the items owned are being borrowed from party members who aren't using them.

Books Allowed: Core, Complete XXXX, Races of XXXX, Libris Mortis, Magic item Compendium, Spell Compendium and all the Dungeonscape, frostburn, sandstorm, etc.

House Rules: Nightsticks don't stack and must be on person to use, Everyone gets a free extra feat.

End build idea by levels: Cleric 6/Radiant Servant of Pelor 10/ XXXX 4

Current ECL: 7

Stats:
Str:15  = 13 base + 2 Gauntlets of Ogre Power
Dex:10 = 10 base
Con:18 = 16 base + 2 Dwarf
Int:10 = 10 base
Wis:18 = 17 base +1 lvl 4
Cha:18 = 16 base - 2 Dwarf + 2 Cloak of Cha

Feats
extra : Extra Turning
1st lvl : Extend Spell
3rd lvl : Persistent Spell
6th lvl : DMM Persisten Spell

Skills:
So few it doesn't really matter, enough to fill the pre-requisites for RSoP with the rest in Knowledge(Religion)

Spells:
Depends on what the PC's ask him to prepare (not specifics just general ideas since none of them have played a cleric)

Domains:
Sun
Healing

Items already owned:
+1 Full Plate
+1 Heavy Steel Shield
Keen Scimitar
+1 Keen G.S.
9 lives Stealer (I've tried to convince the player to keep this weapon but he said he'd just sell it  :twitch
Cloak of Cha +2
Ring of Protection +1
Ring of Feather fall
Gauntlets of Ogre Power +2
Reliquary Holy Symbol of Pelor

+13,000 gp

The mathematics
Turn Attempts per day: 17 = 3+4(cha)+4(extra turning)+4(Nightstick)+2(Reliquary Holy Symbol of Pelor)

For the 2 spells persisted each day I'd like to have ones that help the party over the character.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7260.0 seems to be the most up to date list of spells that can be persisted looking through them now still trying to figure out which 2 would benefit the PC's best.
Yes Divine Power and Holy transformation, Lesser would be best for the DM PC and ultimately the party, I just don't want an overpowered DM PC (he'll mainly stay back and heal or just take damage, yes I understand he's a tier 1 class and naturally overpowered)

That should be just about all of it. Any advice, thoughts, comments or concerns would be wonderful!  Especially on recommended spells and items!

Also would like to thank all those who posted and helped with the cleric handbook and the above mentioned post as both of those have been extremely helpful!

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Re: Fully Fleshed out (to 7th) Cleric build advice
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 06:52:29 PM »
Lesser Vigor for healing and Delay Death+Beastland Ferocity for survivability, and then let him act as a damage sink.  Problem solved?  Oh, and if need be, give him the flaw Vulnerable and the feat either Extra Turning or Planar Touchstone for a domain granting another turning pool.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Polarbearhunter

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:09:56 PM »
Aren't flaws from UA? as well as Planar Touchstone from the planar handbook? (Both books i'm not allowing for PC character creation, and trying to stick within the same rules since its a DMPC not an NPC).

Lesser Vigor would probably be a good one except once the temporary hit points are used up don't they disappear?  seems like that might not be a good idea to persist.

As to the Delay Death + Beastland Ferocity he would only get the +4 to str while in -1 to -9 hp range correct?

Edit: Also any ideas as to the last 4 levels of the build? Possibly 4 more of cleric?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 07:11:47 PM by Polarbearhunter »

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 07:32:08 PM »
Aren't flaws from UA? as well as Planar Touchstone from the planar handbook? (Both books i'm not allowing for PC character creation, and trying to stick within the same rules since its a DMPC not an NPC).

Lesser Vigor would probably be a good one except once the temporary hit points are used up don't they disappear?  seems like that might not be a good idea to persist.

As to the Delay Death + Beastland Ferocity he would only get the +4 to str while in -1 to -9 hp range correct?

Edit: Also any ideas as to the last 4 levels of the build? Possibly 4 more of cleric?

The idea of Beastland Ferocity is to be able to continue acting while in the negatives.  Even vanilla Cleric would work for a DMPC.  Also, doesn't Sun domain give a whole turning pool of Greater Turning?

EDIT : Crap.  Oh well.  Hmm, perhaps replace Healing with one of the elemental domains?  Fire would fit thematically I would think.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 07:34:37 PM by KellKheraptis »
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Polarbearhunter

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 09:13:09 PM »
Swapping out the Healing domain to Fire would make alot of the healing abilities of RSoP not work?  I remember reading that Empower healing and other ones only worked if he cast the domain spell from his domain list, meaning Empower healing would work only if he cast the healing spell as his domain spell.  (Please correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure that's how it works).

Oh don't get me wrong I understand the Delay Death + Beastland ferocity, just wanted clarification if as to RAW he would only get the +4 while in the -1 to -9 range.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 09:44:14 PM »
I suggest going cloistered cleric 3/Church Inquisitor 3/Radiant servant of Pelor instead.
Gives you two domains more than what you've already got. And one of those can be swapped for knowledge devotion.

For persisting something for the party, I suggest Mass Lesser Vigor. This gives the entire party fast healing 1, and thus makes out of combat healing trivial for this guy.
Anticipate Teleportation is another good spell to keep up if you get it through divine magician.

Healing is the worst domain in existence IMO, consider instead adding the planning domain (which should be easy to add to almost any Deity) which gives extend spell for free and thus frees up a feat.
For the last levels, consider the contemplative. Or the Divine Oracle.

Anyway, here's a build that uses pretty much the same sources which you can steal from if you want to:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=248039
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 09:53:10 PM »
Radiant Servant of Pelor Empower, Maximize, and Supreme Healing says: "When a radiant servant of Pelor of at least xth level casts a domain spell from the Healing domain, that spell is affected as though by..." which makes having the Healing domain pretty much mandatory, like Polarbearhunter said.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Polarbearhunter

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 10:00:03 PM »
Oh trust me I hate the healing domain also, but it was my understanding that the Empower healing and other healing class features of the RSoP need to have the healing domain since it works with domain spells.  

As to Church Inquisitor that needs alot of skill pre-reqs and with 2 skill points a level its not really viable.

Edit: Okay I lie, doing the math that would actually work out nicely with Church Inquisitor, thank you!

Edit: k thats what I thought with the healing domain (trust me I usually wouldnt take that domain)

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 08:04:36 PM »

Lesser vigor gives fast healing. Are you perhaps confusing it with the vigor power?

Paragnostic Apostle is always nice if you actually care about turning. It also gives some nifty bonuses, minor though they may be. Contemplative is also nice to snag a bonus domain. Divine Oracle for evasion-in-armor is useful for a damage sponge.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Polarbearhunter

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 04:51:32 PM »
Lesser vigor gives fast healing. Are you perhaps confusing it with the vigor power?
heh most definetly was, thanks for pointing that out for me

Paragnostic Apostle is always nice if you actually care about turning. It also gives some nifty bonuses, minor though they may be. Contemplative is also nice to snag a bonus domain. Divine Oracle for evasion-in-armor is useful for a damage sponge.
Hmm  I might look into a couple in contemplative (2 or 3) and the rest Divine Oracle, AFB right now but i'll look into those and post a newer build tonight when I have some time to work on it.

Thanks all!