Author Topic: Tier 1's vs. Leadership (and variants)  (Read 5852 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Re: Tier 1's vs. Leadership (and variants)
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 11:23:10 PM »
3.0 material that wasn't mentioned in 3.5 is still valid (as they're the same edition after all, otherwise 3.5 would've been called 4th edition), so it still applies as the rule was carefully explained in the Epic Handbook that has no counterpart in 3.5.

The 3.5 Leadership rules, found in the PHB and DMG, supersede the 3.0 rules.  Since there is in fact an update (a new printing of the feat), the old rule is not valid.  Furthermore, note that the Legendary Leader example in Heroes of Battle does indeed have all Monks as followers (that's the only example character with leadership and spelled out followers I could find).

JaronK

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 11:30:03 PM »
On the other hand, I don't see any RAW way of controlling who you attract as followers (and the rules say they're "generally low-level NPCs").  You only explicitly get to pick your cohort's race, class, and alignment.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 11:38:03 PM »
True.  From the examples, it looks like you're expected to get people of similar class, but that's about all you can tell up front.

JaronK

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 11:46:59 PM »
so it still applies as the rule was carefully explained in the Epic Handbook that has no counterpart in 3.5.
Yes it has. SRD. :p

On the other hand, I don't see any RAW way of controlling who you attract as followers (and the rules say they're "generally low-level NPCs").  You only explicitly get to pick your cohort's race, class, and alignment.
Not even that. You can try to recruit a specific class/race/alignment but it's up to the DM if there will be such an NPC available to recruit.
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

retkin

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 12:28:02 AM »
Just be careful you don't get your character attracted as a follower to one of your followers, or enthralled to a more powerful thrallherd if your abusing that.

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 08:28:04 AM »
I don't know if "Tiers" is entirely appropriate to Leadership.

Levels 1-5 ... Leadership doesn't exist, so it's below Tier 6. More like unrate-able.
Level 6+ ... You are down one feat. Big deal, assuming you took a Tier 1 Cohort.

The combo of you down 1 feat, and a Tier 1 with minor limits, down 1 full spell level;
I think the cohort catches up to all but the best of Tier 3s by levels 7 or 8.
That's right around level 10 for you.
I wonder how this compares to Summoning for standard Wiz or Sorc.

Level 11-15 ... No real cost to you, you can get feats if you need them, and Cohort is near Tier 2r all by itself.
Level 16-20 ... Cohort now solid Tier 2, should be some serious synergy going on by now.

So ... 0 + Tier 5 up to 3 + 3 or 2 + 2 + the back of a waiter's order =~~= average Tier 3 after you get it.
Perhaps Tier 4 if including the 5 level dead zone.

???
yes exactly, in low level games leadership and its ilk are not even a threat
So there you have it, Tier 1 wins because they are effective during a broader range of play.

EDIT: if you count shards of leadership, it can start at level 2... ... or is it level 1 now?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:30:08 AM by JohnnyMayHymn »
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 10:07:11 AM »
On the other hand, I don't see any RAW way of controlling who you attract as followers (and the rules say they're "generally low-level NPCs").  You only explicitly get to pick your cohort's race, class, and alignment.
Not even that. You can try to recruit a specific class/race/alignment but it's up to the DM if there will be such an NPC available to recruit.

Indeed. Welcome to BG. Be sure to check out the "New? Start Here!" Board at the top of the main page.

...I've missed being a tour guide.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2011, 07:59:58 PM »
Depends. Leadership gives better action economy, but your WBL will have to be divided betweeen two characters. So anything with low gear-dependency is a win with Leadership while high gear-dependency classes will suffer quite a bit.

Actually, your cohort gets equipment as appropriate for an NPC of their type, and then you can choose to equip them further if you want. Out of the box, a Wizard cohort is going to be pretty much good to go with no cost to you, especially if you can purchase their gear (using the total value of the list) rather than take the preset list of items. Even without that, though, they still don't really need anything to be awesome.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2011, 08:04:39 PM »
There's also the case of synergies where all that matters is having the right class
IE: spellthief with factotum cohort
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

shandiris

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2011, 01:03:29 PM »
3.0 material that wasn't mentioned in 3.5 is still valid (as they're the same edition after all, otherwise 3.5 would've been called 4th edition), so it still applies as the rule was carefully explained in the Epic Handbook that has no counterpart in 3.5.

The 3.5 Leadership rules, found in the PHB and DMG, supersede the 3.0 rules.  Since there is in fact an update (a new printing of the feat), the old rule is not valid.  Furthermore, note that the Legendary Leader example in Heroes of Battle does indeed have all Monks as followers (that's the only example character with leadership and spelled out followers I could find).

JaronK

Power of Faerun also has NPC with mostly statted out cohorts and followers. Only problem there is that Leadership is treated as Epic Leadership there as long as you have enough of an score.