Author Topic: What's progress with that Benchmarking Handbook?  (Read 2006 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
What's progress with that Benchmarking Handbook?
« on: June 13, 2011, 09:39:18 PM »
Awhile back, this board's members discussed making a Benchmarking Handbook on what things were expected by which level.  Certain save numbers, HP, damage per hit/round, resistances, immunities, transport modes, and counters were discussed, but never codified.

Any updates on this?  Anyone want to be the main author of this?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: What's progress with that Benchmarking Handbook?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 08:36:52 PM »
Ker-BUMP!

The impression I get in the past day is "no updates."

What about interest for such a handbook?  Who will contribute and post this?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:07:25 PM »
I like the idea.
Sunic sort of did some work with the IP proofing handbook. But he deleted it and left in anger for some reason, so I don't think it's available, and finding it wouldn't really be fair to him since it's his work.

So as I like the idea I'd love to offer my help, but I'm not sure I can help that much, it would be a great tool to have though.
We should probably have different categories, one for high optimisation (can take ECL up three levels higher) mid optimization (can take ECLs up to one below and up to two higher).

We could get going from the list that compiles AC and stuff and then work out from there, different categories would also be needed for different classes, while some single attack classes need to hit on every attack ranged DPRs usually have so many attacks that only a fourth of them need to hit for them to be useful
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 09:21:46 PM »
You have to keep in mind that expectations for certain levels of these things ought to take into account teamwork. It can be difficult to hit numbers that are fully IP proofed without the help of teammates like a DMM persist cleric.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 09:23:12 PM »
You have to keep in mind that expectations for certain levels of these things ought to take into account teamwork. It can be difficult to hit numbers that are fully IP proofed without the help of teammates like a DMM persist cleric.
I agree, perhaps there should be some guide as to what each class could be assumed to bring to their team?
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 09:44:58 PM »
That should probably be a part of it, I think a true Benchmarking Handbook should have multiple "chapters" for this type of thing.

One for "what you need to have."
One for "how you get there."
One for "how your character fits in to supplying these requirements."
etc.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Daniel678

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 12:38:28 AM »
Agreed, it should mention a way for each class to achieve the benchmark especially if they need the help of an ally or specific items to do so.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 04:46:38 PM »
Agreed, it should mention a way for each class to achieve the benchmark especially if they need the help of an ally or specific items to do so.
Ways to achieve the benchmarks? Casters have spells, others have shit. Right about how it goes.

Handy Links

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 05:20:51 PM »
Sunic sort of did some work with the IP proofing handbook. But he deleted it and left in anger for some reason,
What?  He pulled a OW4?  I didn't even know about that.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]