Author Topic: Improving my factotum  (Read 2376 times)

sq9li

• Monkey bussiness
Improving my factotum
« on: June 08, 2011, 10:35:34 PM »
I am playing epic game with my character http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=304288 I have 6 more feats to take and will need some help with picking a good one. In addition any advice about equipement would be good. I can use all the book for 3.5 ed and most of 3.0, no dragon magazines or internet stuff though.

We play on 26 level so I'm entilted to 2 epic feats and will go advancing to 27th level so it means one more.

Thank you for all your help guys.

Mixster

• Grape ape
Re: Improving my factotum
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 10:36:41 PM »
No internet stuff? So no Font of Insipration? Sad.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 10:52:50 PM »
Font of Inspiration is definitely the way to go here, if you can beg your DM for it. 3-4 iterations are nearly required for any factotum.

Also, Darkstalker.

You might also consider Shape Soulmeld: Phase Cloak and Open Chakra for the shoulders chakra. Movement-based ethereality is amazing.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Tr011

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • preparing arcane spellcaster
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 11:23:38 PM »

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 11:28:16 PM »
Also, Darkstalker.
Sorry I got no real experience with Factotum. Why is Darkstalker necessary?

@Topic: Batman's Belt. After reading this guide you should get some ideas for your equipment and what could be important.
Darkstalker means that creatures with Scent and Blindsight/Blindsense don't auto-invalidate your ability to Hide. Otherwise, it doesn't matter how good you are at hiding; they'll "see" you every time without fail.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 11:44:05 PM »
Be aware that you don't have Epic Spellcasting, so if your party does you're not very useful.  If Epic Spellcasting isn't being used, then it should be much better (I personally recommend pretending ES doesn't exist).

You definitely need Darkstalker... without it, everything at high levels detects you automatically. 

Since you're using Knowledge Devotion already, I'd imagine archery is your best non spellcasting damage route.  You might want to pump Iajuitsu Focus as well, in which case you'd want to be a Whisper Gnome for the stealth bonuses, free proficiency in the Gnomish Quickrazor, and access to the Trivial Knowledge feat (from Races of Stone).  You might also want to look over the Factotum handbook and Guide to Proper Scouting handbook for more ideas.

JaronK

sq9li

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 07:08:33 AM »
Character is already in the game so I cannot change race but darkstalker looks really good and you are right it is a must. Font of Inspiration is unlikely to happen but I will ask my DM about. However in case he says no, what else do you advise.
The idea is that character musst be very able scout and spy who can pretend to be anyone. Do we have anything that can even more improve my abbility to trip oponents with whip? Or any other usefull feats for spy/scout kind of character? I'm starting to read "guide to Proper scouting" so i guess I will find some stuff in there as well.

Bester

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 01:09:36 PM »
Font of Inspiration is unlikely to happen but I will ask my DM about. However in case he says no, what else do you advise.

Make sure you bring the Expanded Psionics book with you.  Open to page 50.  Read Psionic Talent to the DM.  Psionic Talent, unlike FoI, starts at 2 instead of 1, which means you get an extra point per feat, not just one extra point.

Psionic Talent proves there is a precedent for these kinds of feats.  Also, Psionic Talent can be taken unlimited times, FoI cannot.  Of course we know that FoI is a million times better, but does the DM? ;)

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 01:40:21 PM »
Why is Trivial knowledge necessary? You only need to hit DC 35 or 36 DCs for Knowledge Devotion and if you need a feat to do that you are not trying hard enough. Masterwork tools and Scrolls of Uncertain Provenance are your friends.

Handy Links

Bester

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 05:19:19 PM »
Why is Trivial knowledge necessary? You only need to hit DC 35 or 36 DCs for Knowledge Devotion and if you need a feat to do that you are not trying hard enough. Masterwork tools and Scrolls of Uncertain Provenance are your friends.

If he's playing at level 26, and 20 of that is Facto, then he only needs one rank in the big 6 knowledges to make the check.  His intelligence is already pimped out.  I'd look at volley archer feats if I couldn't get a hold of FoI.  I think there's one that gives you a +4 to hit consecutively when you miss.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 08:12:56 PM »
I know, but with those cheap, cheap items he can spend ranks on other stuff.

Woodland archer is the feat you are alluding to.

Handy Links

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 06:39:10 PM »

Oh right, not used to working with epic levels where you're going to just hit that Knowledge Devotion check every time anyway.

Might be useful if there's some epic knowledge checks he needs to make in general though, like knowing the strategy of specific opponents or something.

Anyway, for tripping with a Factotum I tend to prefer dipping two levels of Unarmed Swordsage, so I can use Mighty Throw for Dex + Int to trip.  But, that may not fit here.

JaronK