Author Topic: Dvati Optimisation  (Read 6794 times)

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
Dvati Optimisation
« on: June 04, 2011, 03:18:54 PM »
How would one go about doing a Feral Dvati Unarmed Swordsage?
Elite Array. 15 14 13 12 10 8 was it?
Nothing more really.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Dvati Optimisation
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 03:38:10 PM »
Kill one and bring it back as a ghost. It gets copies of the equipment it had in life.

Double items.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

rubberduck

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • my stuff
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 04:52:08 PM »
why swordsage i would go Dragonfire Adept...

two mouths breathing fivefold breath of tiamat ruins anyones day!
best online-comics i know: http://lfgcomic.com/ http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com
Looking for players? http://spielerzentrale.de/

me fail english? that's unpossible!
fear my new god! DARTH GOKUVERINE
poor literacy is kewl

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 05:16:48 PM »
Dragon fire adept looks cool XD

What else works well with them?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 05:17:25 PM »
Dragon fire adept looks cool XD

What else works well with them?
Fiend of possession. Think about it.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 07:38:50 PM »
Avoid casters, mostly, since they don't gain any benefits for it and are generally pretty bad for them.

However, egoist and psiwar are special exceptions, since they both buff incredibly well (thereby ruining the action economy even more), and since dvati apparently can dual-melee, you can wreck everyone's day via Metamorphosis. Avoid the half-hp problem via Share Pain (psicrystal) + Vigor.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

BrainCandy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 07:54:16 PM »
Avoid casters, mostly, since they don't gain any benefits for it and are generally pretty bad for them.

However, egoist and psiwar are special exceptions, since they both buff incredibly well (thereby ruining the action economy even more), and since dvati apparently can dual-melee, you can wreck everyone's day via Metamorphosis. Avoid the half-hp problem via Share Pain (psicrystal) + Vigor.

I was gonna suggest something similar. A cleric with shapechange, buff up and bash face.

As far as making one a swordsage, i would think that you make him the same as any other swordsage. Although, since both bodies share the same pool of maneuvers you will run through them pretty fast. You might want to go Crusader or Warblade for the superior recovery techniques.

Edit: as an aside since I just looked at the Dvati listing, I noticed that their favored class is bard and they would be scary good at it. Make a Dvati bard gear towards Inspire Courage with Dragonfire Inspiration and Words of Creation. With 2 bodies a Dvati could keep up a regular Inspire Courage and a Dragonfire Inspiration version. That would easily be +10 to hit and damage and +10 dice of energy damage to the dvati and any of his allies in the general area, with minimal optimization. You could get it higher with effort. A simple bard9/sublime chord1/virtuoso10 build can do that AND have 9th level spells for other tomfoolery.

1 man band indeed.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 08:06:25 PM by BrainCandy »

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 09:07:59 PM »
I heard that they were good with swordsage thats why I wanted that but if not then something else might be better. I heard that FoP was good as them but I don't know how. I'll give FoP a look.

BrainCandy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 09:14:40 PM »
I heard that they were good with swordsage thats why I wanted that but if not then something else might be better. I heard that FoP was good as them but I don't know how. I'll give FoP a look.

They are good as any physical attacker, since they effectively do twice as much. Swordsage is no exception, with the possible exception of running out of maneuvers.

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 09:21:05 PM »
I really like the fiend of possesion. 2 possessions nice. Apart from buffing them, what are the best things to do with my two pawns/friends?

Nebuchadnezzar

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 09:38:54 PM »
I'm working on a Dvati cohort build here that uses Fiend of Possession.
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12085.0

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 10:05:38 PM »

They are good as any physical attacker, since they effectively do twice as much. Swordsage is no exception, with the possible exception of running out of maneuvers.
The biggest issue with any martial-type character is how incredibly frail they are, given they have half the hit points. FoP covers this nicely, as does any source of lots of temp hp.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 10:41:24 PM »
Do notice that dvatis do not share effects besides negative levels, so any kind of gish will have to burn double the resources to buff both sides.
Chain Spell?

War weaver would be nice as well.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

BrainCandy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 11:37:02 PM »

The biggest issue with any martial-type character is how incredibly frail they are, given they have half the hit points. FoP covers this nicely, as does any source of lots of temp hp.

They don't have half the hit points, they have half the hit die. Each body gets it's full con bonus in addition to it's half of the hit die. That is actually another mark in favor of a class like Dragonfire Adept, since they tend often pump con as the primary stat. Dragonfire Adept has a ready source of temporary HP as well.

A druid or wildshape ranger/MOMF with tons of Con would be a good choice too. This would be a good candidate for Vow of Poverty too, since equipping two bodies could get expensive.

Personally, I still like that bard set-up. Be a support toon, stay behind the lines with a Splitting enchanted bow on each body and give the hurt while running the inspire courages. At 20, you should be able to get 5 attacks assuming haste and rapid shot. With 2 bodies and splitting that is 20 attacks made with +10 to hit and damage and +10d6 damage, plus bow damage. You also have a decent amount of skills, Virtuoso performances and level 9 spells to fall back on.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 12:16:05 AM by BrainCandy »

Phoenix00

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 02:13:50 AM »
Half Minotaur really synergies well with Dvatti.  The 6 extra con means 3 extra hit points per dice which means you really are not worrying that your d12 is not 6.5 average hit points but instead 3.25 average hit points due to the rules with dvatti.

Half Minotaur really buffs str which due to the action rules of dvatti, you will want to go melee, sneak, or wierd (binder/dragonfire adept/incarnate etc), so getting high str really synergizes well.

Finally Half Minotaur makes you large size which increases the effects of reach and special attacks such as trip and bull rush.

Because of this Half Minotaur Dvatti make really good AoO spiked chain/rope dart users as well as Boomerang Daze/Trip/Bull Rush experts.

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 12:33:59 PM »
I don't think thats a good idea as my original idea was a half minotaur but I was told being large was a problem.

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 03:44:33 PM »
Notes from another thread about Dvati:

Fiend of Possession.  

One at home to get buffed (Use any of your church of mystra free metamagic, earth node spell casting, or cheap rune circles (Races of Stone) with metamagic rod effects in them.  Cast your buff spell with Dvati at home with added bonuses and move action it to the guy in the field.  It could be very interesting to have one at home studying tomes and the other slinging spells and adventuring.  Plus your trickets wont get smashed up then Disjunction times comes.).  Also telepathy -> mindsight is legal

Best,
David
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 11:27:25 PM »
Dvati Swordsage does have a rather interesting feature...

Take Adaptive Style (iirc that's the name.)

1. Hide one somewhere safe.
2. Have it recharge maneuvers every round. The other one does actual fighting.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Talore

• Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 12:10:45 AM »
So I heard you like breath weapons, so we put multi-headed on your dragonfire adept Dvati so you can breath weapon while you breath weapon while you breath weapon.

:eh

Gestalt that mother up with Half-Minotaur, four heads on each large Dvati half, 8 breath attacks at once. Throw some Mineral Warrior, Feral, or martial initiator classes on the racial side when you're done for fun.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 12:12:44 AM by Talore »
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-