Author Topic: Bad News for Shapechange  (Read 3411 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Bad News for Shapechange
« on: June 03, 2011, 02:14:16 AM »
Quote from: Rules Compendium, Page 26

Notice something about the wording? Here, let's compare:

You gain all extraordinary and supernatural abilities (both attacks and qualities) of the assumed form, but you lose your own supernatural abilities. You also gain the type of the new form (for example, dragon or magical beast) in place of your own. The new form does not disorient you. Parts of your body or pieces of equipment that are separated from you do not revert to their original forms.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Garryl

• Hong Kong
Re: Bad News for Shapechange
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 03:32:02 AM »
I don't follow. What's the problem with the wording in RC? Are you implying that it changes Shapechange to not give all of the abilities it used to?
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 03:50:43 AM »
Don't worry, be happy.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 04:01:16 AM »
I don't follow. What's the problem with the wording in RC? Are you implying that it changes Shapechange to not give all of the abilities it used to?

I agree. The SRD is adding extra clarification and the rules compendium left it out. All implies all. That's like saying it not longer grants the type change because it left out the extra clarification.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 05:42:45 AM »

I agree. The SRD is adding extra clarification and the rules compendium left it out. All implies all. That's like saying it not longer grants the type change because it left out the extra clarification.
Yeah, I don't see where the problem is.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 07:24:48 PM »

Yeah, I don't see where the problem is.

The problem is it removes access to attacks and qualities, such as spellcasting (the parenthesis section was the basis for that).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 07:47:06 PM »
The problem is it removes access to attacks and qualities, such as spellcasting (the parenthesis section was the basis for that).

Oh noes one of the most broken spells in existence just became less broken! :eh

Wait, how is that a problem again? Shouldn't it be called an improvement?  ???

Point.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 08:11:47 PM »
Special Abilities is routinely defined as being Special Qualities + Special Attacks.  There's no such thing as a Special Ability that's not a Special Attack or Quality.  Special Attacks are just any Special Abilities that can be used to harm someone, while Special Qualities are any Special Abilities that can't.  See Monster Manual, Fiend Folio, and a few other sources (I don't remember them all).

JaronK

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 08:45:35 PM »
I don't get it, either. Spellcasting is defined as a special attack, so what's the problem, again?

Okay, I take it back (sortof). "Spells" is defined as a special attack, and that's the entry that your typical spellcasting monster has their spellcasting ability listed under.

JaronK and I had a fairly lengthy discussion about this in a thread a few months ago. The conclusion was pretty clear, at least it was to me.

In fact, it was pretty conclusive that based on the preponderance of evidence, "Spells" is in fact an extraordinary special attack, making them accessible through Polymorph as well.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:51:55 PM by BeholderSlayer »
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 09:03:25 PM »
I don't get it, either. Spellcasting is defined as a special attack, so what's the problem, again?

Okay, I take it back (sortof). "Spells" is defined as a special attack, and that's the entry that your typical spellcasting monster has their spellcasting ability listed under.

JaronK and I had a fairly lengthy discussion about this in a thread a few months ago. The conclusion was pretty clear, at least it was to me.

In fact, it was pretty conclusive that based on the preponderance of evidence, "Spells" is in fact an extraordinary special attack, making them accessible through Polymorph as well.

Spells=Ex...

The words "Does Not Compute" come to mind. And yes, I am aware of that argument.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 09:58:58 PM »

Spells=Ex...

The words "Does Not Compute" come to mind. And yes, I am aware of that argument.
Que?
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 10:04:37 PM »

Spells=Ex...

Que?

Spells as an Extraordinary Attack, meaning they are Ex...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 10:09:09 PM »
Spells=Ex...

Note that Spells were actually an Na Special Ability back in 3.0 (MMII), before becoming Ex in 3.5 (in 3.0 you could have Na Special Abilities, in 3.5 you can't).  But yeah, we've been through it a bunch of times.  Spells is specifically defined as a Special Attack (which is a subset of Special Ability) in the Monster Manual.  All Special Abilities are Ex, Sp, or Su according to the same (which is the primary source on Ex, Sp, and Su abilities), and this statement is echoed in the PHB, DMG, Fiend Folio, SRD, and a bunch of other books, in addition to the Rules of the Game Article on Polymorphing (which goes into types for quite a while).  I can quote a dozen books all listing Spells as being separate from Sp and Su abilities, and the definitions of Sp and Su abilities show how they're not the same as spells.  That leaves only Ex as a possibility.  Furthermore, you still have your Spells ability in an Antimagic field, so the ability to cast spells itself is not magical, even though the spells themselves are (much like how Wildshape is a magical Su ability that grants non magical Na abilities like claw attacks).  And bringing it home, MMV and one of the Fiendish Codexes both list a special ability to cast spells as Ex (though note that they call it a Special Quality there).

So, yes.  Spells are Extraordinary Special Attacks (possibly also Ex Special Qualities... the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive).  This is a subset of Special Abilities.  If you think that's broken... well, house rule against it.  I certainly would (I don't tend to allow Polymorph anyway).

JaronK